• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Wind Rises (movie).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:36 pm Reply with quote

(The) Wind Rises (movie)

Source: Manga (completed @ 1 volume, by Hayao Miyazaki)

Demographic: Everyone

Animation Studio: Studio Ghibli

Genres: drama, romance

Themes: aviation, dreams, historical, Shouwa era, Taishou era, World War II

Plot Summary: Inspired by the aesthetics of design and the freedom of flying, Jiro Horikoshi pursues a life dedicated to the creation of a beautiful aircraft. He labors from his childhood, filled with dreams of engineering, to adulthood as he creates an elegant, flightworthy plane—the Mitsubishi A6M Zero—that eventually is used for something quite different than he expected: war.

Air Date & Platform:
July 20, 2013 (Saturday)
Available on: HBO Max

Episode Count / Runtime: 126 minutes
----------------------------------

[Index Pending]

At the time, Miyazaki originally wanted to make a sequel to Ponyo, but producer Toshio Suzuki talked him into making Wind, instead. I'm pretty content with the way Ponyo ended, so I'm okay with the fact that it never happened. Wind, however, is a bit ironic, because it reminded me so much of another film I saw for the first time a couple of days ago: Oppenheimer (2023).

In the Ponyo opener, I was guessing that Miyazaki's last two projects (at the time) would be one for the kids and one for adults. Looks like that turned out to be the case. Wind is a semi-autobiographical film about a man having a dream to build something functional and beautiful. But his dream eventually ended up being used for the purposes of war, which obviously resulted in lost lives.

The parallels between this and Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer are astonishingly similar, as his film pretty much does the same thing for a man who had a dream of quantum physics that eventually was turned into the atom bomb. Both films take place around WWII, and each instance of said dreams-to-reality can be said to have led to the other. The plane designs in Wind led to the creation of the A6M Zero fighter planes, which were used in the attack on Pearl Harbor, thus starting the war. Meanwhile Oppenheimer's research led to the creation of the atomic bomb, two of which would later be dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, thus ending the war. It's a weird coincidence that I would see both of these movies within a day of each other.

But yeah, both were fabulous. And I'm definitely looking forward to the eventual re-watch of Wind, knowing what I've realized, now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1