• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Neighbors the Yamadas (movie).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:36 am Reply with quote

My Neighbors the Yamadas (movie)

Source: Yonokoma (Comic Strip) Manga (by Hisaichi Ishii)

Demographic: Everyone

Animation Studio: Studio Ghibli

Genres: comedy, slice of life

Themes: family, sketch comedy

Plot Summary: The film is a series of vignettes following the daily lives of the Yamada family: Takashi and Matsuko (the father and mother), Shige (Matsuko's mother), Noboru (aged approximately 13, the son), Nonoko (aged approximately 7, the daughter), and Pochi (the family dog).

Air Date & Platform:
July 17, 1999 (Saturday)
Available on: HBO Max

Episode Count / Runtime: 104 minutes
----------------------------------

I actually watched this on Friday night, but got busy doing things between then and now. My streak of a-Ghibli-movie-a-day also broke that night Anime cry, but at least I'm through Miyazaki Senior's catalogue.

The sketch comedy approach is interesting for a movie. But I feel for the convention to be more effective, the sketches and/or characters need to be really over-the-top or extra-quirky. I guess these characters were quirky enough to make for an entertaining experience, but I was expecting something a slightly more outlandish.

I'm gonna' go on a limb and call this my least favorite of the library, thus far. But maybe I'll catch more things on a re-watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1