• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Ends Online Functionality for 3DS, Wii U in Early April 2024

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:30 am Reply with quote
The only temporary exception to this seems to be Pokemon Bank, which Pokemon confirmed will still be running past the shut down date for the rest of the online servers. But even then, it will eventually come to an end, so they recommend transferring sooner than later.

... Guess I should do the replay of White and White 2 that I thought about doing before the end of the year, so that way any Pokemon I obtain on there that I wanted to keep can be transferred and not locked to the game forever. It's sad, but not surprising. I don't think it was expected for Pokemon Bank, along with the online services for the 3DS/Wii U, to last forever, but still a shame either way. Especially for Pokemon players, as once Pokemon Bank goes done, there will be no way to transfer any Pokemon from Gen 1-7 games to Home.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:34 am Reply with quote
I literally just bought a 3DS for the first time, after not having owned a console (or handheld) for 25-ish years Laughing I guess I didn't really intend to do anything online with it, but kind of funny that to see this announcement all of a week after the device showed up in my mailbox
wingweaver84

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:15 am Reply with quote
So,for example,you play games like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing,does that mean you can no longer vis it others' towns or race globally?
americananimotk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:22 am Reply with quote
Note to self, transfer all of my Pokémon from Sun and Moon to my Pokémon Home ASAP.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:38 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I literally just bought a 3DS for the first time, after not having owned a console (or handheld) for 25-ish years Laughing I guess I didn't really intend to do anything online with it, but kind of funny that to see this announcement all of a week after the device showed up in my mailbox

hacking and modding scene will make sure those systems are kept alive.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:53 pm Reply with quote
wingweaver84 wrote:
So,for example,you play games like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing,does that mean you can no longer vis it others' towns or race globally?

If it requires you to connect online you’re going to be shit out of luck come April.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess that's the end of Super Mario Maker 1, then. They'd ended uploads in 2021 (before ChainChompBraden cleared Trials of Death, sadly), but you could still play the levels that were there.
i got the shivers!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Well, I guess that's the end of Super Mario Maker 1, then. They'd ended uploads in 2021 (before ChainChompBraden cleared Trials of Death, sadly), but you could still play the levels that were there.

I guess if you didn't unlock all the costumes, one should do so now. I think you had to beat the special levels they uploaded to unlock them all, or maybe you got a random one for each run you completed. I forget how it worked, but I think it was tied to the online mode in some way.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:45 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame about the 3DS, the Switch might be one of the best selling systems of all time, but I still miss when Nintendo made dedicated handhelds.
Xeogran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:48 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It's a shame about the 3DS, the Switch might be one of the best selling systems of all time, but I still miss when Nintendo made dedicated handhelds.

The 3DS is much more soulful, with custom themes, lovely eShop (which is gone now ._.), Internet Browser, AR Camera (which was fun for Kid Icarus or Pokedex 3D Pro), Swapnote and many other stuff.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Xeogran wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

The 3DS is much more soulful, with custom themes, lovely eShop (which is gone now ._.), Internet Browser, AR Camera (which was fun for Kid Icarus or Pokedex 3D Pro), Swapnote and many other stuff.

It may seem super obvious, but every time I return to my old 3DS XL, the thing that impresses me the most... is simply how cool the stereoscopic 3D effects can be.
Meexa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Can we have a moment of silence, for our 2 fallen warriors . . . v.v
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:45 pm Reply with quote
While a lot of people will obviously bemoan the news, I want to remind people the hacking and emulating scene is illegal and a heinous crime. So those are not alternative solutions and shouldn't be encouraged or even nudged on.
LuScr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:54 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
hacking and modding scene will make sure those systems are kept alive.

Maybe the one positive out of all this--no more threats of Nintendo bricking modded systems.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:27 pm Reply with quote
The thought of every Pokemon game from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald through UltraSun/UltraMoon being made obsolete is just plain sad. I understand that good things must come to an end, but it’s literally the lifeline for the ENTIRE SERIES at this point — A thin thread that finally connected Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal to the rest of the Core Series via Virtual Consol and revived/prevented the obsoletion of Ruby/Sapphire/EmeraldFireRed/LeafGreen/Colosseum/Anime hyper/Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver/Black/White/Black2/White2/X/Y/ΩRuby/ASapphire/Sun/Moon/UltraSun/UltraMoon.

The WHOLE series is connected currently — Why threaten that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2