• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP Remake Game Design Changes to Remaster

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:19 am Reply with quote
now a remaster instead of a remake "based on your requests"

Whaaa....?
Etue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Keyword: Censorship

They were completely overhauling the story according to leaked and provided information to appeal to a broader ( more kid friendly ) audience. Despite the original being marketed toward late-teens and adults.

Even as someone who's only seen the trailers the entire original story and atmosphere kind of seems like it's incompatible with a broader more kid friendly demographic and it's kind of weird that they're digging up a very sexual and violent series up from it's grave just to try and get the lowest possible Steam Age rating by censoring it.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:39 pm Reply with quote
No one wanted a censored version of the game, and James Gunn and Suda 51 are both kind of busy. With that in mind, a remaster where everything is polished but otherwise looks the same is probably for the best.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:47 pm Reply with quote
If the "remake" was going to be more censored and all-ages, then this is probably for the best.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Is there any actual proof to the leaks or is this just guessing? I think the real reason is that financial it wasn't worth remaking IMO.
TsarPlatinum

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Seems kind of of a drastic change to go form a full remake to just a remaster. They must have thrown out a lot of work in that case unless it was already a very close remake.

Re: censorship. "Remaster" isn't exactly a great word either since it can also involve censorship like the Yakuza games. If you're on PC you can usually get an uncensor mod but still you may as well play the originals.. Also they tend to have visual and performance issues like the Silent Hill remasters which also changed the voices from what I remember. So many remasters are half-baked and lazy and the worst ways to play a game. I'll wait to see how this turns out and if its one of those.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I don’t buy the all ages friendly stuff.

You can’t exactly make a game like this “all ages”. That’d be like trying to make an all ages version of the Walking Dead or OneChanbara.

So either someone is bullshitting or something else is afoot.

Beatdigga wrote:
No one wanted a censored version of the game

Did anyone want a remaster of a game that was most definitely a product of it’s time either?

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:24 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
Is there any actual proof to the leaks or is this just guessing? I think the real reason is that financial it wasn't worth remaking IMO.
You're likely right there. The sales for a remaster would probably be on par with a remake, and given those sales would not be that high, a remake might be in the red.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:46 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing it hit budgetary or production issues and they decided it was more likely to break even doing a remaster instead. And really given the broad reaction to them announcing a remake was kind of, "Ehhhhh I guess?" anyway there's probably more of a market in a remaster.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:12 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Did anyone want a remaster of a game that was most definitely a product of it’s time either?

I mean, I enjoyed the game quite a bit when I played it. It's a pretty solid over-the-top hack & slash with some really fun imagery (it actually inspired some of the effects in Gunn's Suicide Squad) and a goofy cast of characters. Oh, and it had a great soundtrack. And I currently have no method of replaying it, since it was only on PS3 and 360, so if it releases on Steam, I at least have a way to keep it in my library for the foreseeable future.
CelticMutt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:59 am Reply with quote
I understand the fears of a supposedly leaked "censoring," but the reality is probably just that it was always a remaster and they only marketed it as a remake for more sales. And then someone in the studio with a brain noticed just how well that worked out for Red Dead Redemption.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1