• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Godzilla Minus One Rises to #1 at U.S. Box Office

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:03 pm Reply with quote
C'mon, Boy and Heron, you can be the first #1 Miyazaki here!
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I went to see this in theaters this past Friday and it's a good good feeling to see people coming out to see a Japanese Godzilla film in theaters. And the fact that the movie absolutely owns bones is a nice little plus. Anime smile
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:14 pm Reply with quote
And factor in the trailer for Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire, that could help Godzilla Minus One at the US box office for maybe another week or 2 weeks if the people that are hyped up about the upcoming Godzilla X Kong film (plus the Monarch TV show on AppleTV+ could also factor into it).

To be honest, I was hoping the Monsterverse Godzilla could still be in people's mind in the US and that would explain why Godzilla Minus One could be doing well in the US, I suspect the crossover of Monsterverse fans to be the one giving that film a boost.

Speaking of Godzilla X Kong, I do have an idea of a promotion that could help both films!!! Anybody remember double feature?

Is there a way for maybe Toho International (with Warner Bros' permission and backing) to give Godzilla Minus One a 2nd theatrical release run/re-release in the US (& Japan) in the same month as Godzilla X Kong's theatrical release and probably pair it as a double feature? I mean double feature is not dead as shown by Barbie (also handled and distributed by WB) and Oppenheimer double feature as part of the Barbenheimer phenomenon.

Maybe WB could do it again with a Godzilla double feature in theater consist of Godzilla X Kong and Godzilla Minus One for a price of one in April of next year (when Godzilla X Kong will make it's theatrical release). I think this would be a good idea for Toho and WB to do a double feature release. I would love to see many theaters could do this Godzilla double feature like they did for Barbie and Oppenheimer. That would help both Godzilla films in many ways.

I can see the ad and online commercial for it:

"When you buy a ticket for Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire, you'll also get to see Godzilla Minus One return to theater and as a double feature!!! Coming soon: Godzilla double feature!!!"

"Why watch one Godzilla film, when you can see 2 Godzilla films? Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire, and Godzilla Minus One for the price of one!!! Coming soon to a theater near you!!!"

That would be a good marketing if WB and Toho International (along with participating theaters) could pitch in and make it a reality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Really wanted to see it but tickets are literally $20 a person no matter where I look. Just 3 years ago movie tickets were $7. Unaffordable.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Glad i live in Wisconsin then...mine was still 8 dollars a person here Razz
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Honestly this needs to have more screenings than it currently has.

My country only has one cinema showing this and even than it only has 2 screenings on 2 separate days and both are only at 10am in the morning and they are already filling up and trust me to get people to see a movie at 10 in the morning on a weekend is not an easy feet.

This is legit a good movie. one of the best Toho has ever released and if u have an opportunity to see it in theater, do it.
Gilarack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:49 am Reply with quote
I'm usually not a fan of putting one movie on a pedestal by dunking on other movies. I think it's kinda cheap to praise Minus One by comparing it to it's potentially "lesser" competition, because neither have I seen Napoleon, nor the new Hunger Games movie and I'm sure they are fine and all... BUT... thinking about how Hollywood has been treating it's employees lately AND considering that Minus One only cost 15M USD, I do believe that I speak for a lot of people when I say the following:

"NAH-NAH-NA-NAH-NA-NAH, NAH-NAH-NA-NAH-NA-NAH!"
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:22 pm Reply with quote
You need to add "among foreign films" to the end of this headline. Though it's impressive that Godzilla ranks third on this list, it still made about half the revenue the Beyonce film did.

https://www.imdb.com/chart/boxoffice/
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:52 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
You need to add "among foreign films" to the end of this headline. Though it's impressive that Godzilla ranks third on this list, it still made about half the revenue the Beyonce film did.

https://www.imdb.com/chart/boxoffice/

While Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé was #1 this past weekend, Godzilla Minus One rose to #1 on Monday as noted in the article. It was also #1 again on Wednesday.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/date/?ref_=bo_nb_hm_secondarytab
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1