• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:44 pm Reply with quote

(The) Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic (TV)

Source: Light Novel (completed @ 12 volumes, written by Kurokata, illustrated by KeG)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Shin-Ei Animation, Studio Add

Genres: action, comedy, drama, fantasy

Themes: demons, isekai, medieval, sorcery

Plot Summary: High school nobody Usato was just waiting for the rain to stop after someone took his umbrella when he unexpectedly meets two of his school's most popular students. Happily, they're both really nice, and Usato quickly feels like they're all on their way to becoming good friends. Unhappily, the two of them get summoned to another world, and he's pulled along with them.

Kazuki and Suzune are, of course, the heroes the kingdom was looking for, but Usato's far from useless – he turns out to have the rarest of all powers, healing magic. He'll be really helpful in fighting off the demons…assuming that the training doesn't kill him first.

Air Date & Platform:
January 5, 2024 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 13 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Healing Magic is kind of the opposite of the Death Magic anime ironically enough. The characters in it actually act like decent/functioning human beings and don't just devolve into raving rapy lunatics as soon as they cross over to another world. They also have actual personalities/quirks which is a plus. The setting is interesting enough too and I am curious to see how healing magic will save the day, so count me in for more.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Until today, the only new shows that I really enjoyed were season 2 sequel shows - Bottom Tier Character Tomozaki and Classroom of the Elite. I mean, I didn't hate any of the brand spanking new shows (Or brand new spanking shows in at least two cases) passionately, but my heart was pretty cold while I watched them.

But I liked this show. Not designing a tee shirt for it or anything, but I will definitely come back for more next week.

This badass cleric is a pretty fresh character as far as I can tell. And not only were the supporting character/classmates not sociopaths, they weren't entirely saints either. The female has an inner Chuunibiyou, and the male has a bit of a temper.

The average guy protagonist really was average too, not the class doormat, and it turned out that he had his own strengths. The anime doesn't seem to be just painting by the numbers, and I'm digging it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Eff, yeah! Folks, THAT'S how you start off an isekai proper-like. No, it didn't do anything stunningly original but dayum what it did do, it did with a sterling competence that has been sadly lacking in the vast majority of isekais of late. I've been noting how I'm reverting back to the overly tolerant Blood- of old (in terms of watching shows that don't really deserve it) but I feel like I can embrace this one whole-heartedly without having an elegant sophisto like Edjwald busting my... chops... about it. Wink
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:35 pm Reply with quote
The second episode was just as good and charming as the first one. The characters are all very charming and unique in their own way and due to the mc being such a stubborn guy who holds grudges the harsh training was perfect for him to build himself up. It is impressive to see how much progress Usato has made in a few weeks time both mentally and physically. Speaking of the latter, Suzune is memorable in how much she is not the cliche perfect student council member. Kazuki is the only one of trio who could be considered normal.

Anyway, time to bash up some bears next week.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:26 am Reply with quote
I thought it was cool how the MC was using his healing power to make his shredding muscle heal faster so that he was getting jacked from working out at an insanely accelerated rate. Don't know that I've ever seen that anywhere before though I expect I'll see it again now that this anime has come out. Speaking of accelerated rates, I wasn't expecting the MC to get gung ho so fast either, but it was a pleasant kind of unexpected. I also love how the badass healer is named Rose, which seems kind of...I dunno. Anti-thetical? Ironic? Makes me wonder if she used to be a Snow White like character before she lost too many people who mattered to her. Anyway, this is easily one of my favorite anime of the season. .
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I'm never a big fan of training episodes. They aren't quite as boring to me as school cultural festival days, but they aren't far behind. Mercifully, the boring part of Usato's training seems to be over and we're into Da Bears part, which is cool. The bones of this show continue to be solid.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Another great episode this week, this in large part due to the mc (he really is so much better than most other mc's in isekai shows). He complains yet never gives up due to him hating to lose and that can be said for the way he fights too. From seeing the snake before he knew that he was outmatched, he still gave it his all and nearly won. The end result is a bear bro addition to the team and being deemed fit for action.

Kudos to the rabbit for being a sneaky narc.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:38 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Another great episode this week, this in large part due to the mc (he really is so much better than most other mc's in isekai shows).

Yah, the dude really is a breath of fresh air.

And Rose is awesome as well. I was thinking about it, and the closest thing I can remember to a female mentor like her is the one from those Fruit of Grisaia/Eden of Grisaia anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Look, I'm just gonna say it straight: snakes are hella creepy. Especially giant venomous ones. Almost makes me want to never be sent to an isekai if that's what you can run into, geez. Anyway, great episode. Also, creative kudos to whomever decided that one of the demon lord's trusted generals be a good-looking horned chick with big cans.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Another week, another good episode. I liked seeing that although Usato still has lots of ways left to grow he has proven himself to be a full member of the team and has now formed his resolve to enter the field of battle. Also interesting is that you can be a healer in different ways, be it a doctor/support or running like a madman on the battlefield. It is only fair that most people can not handle the training that Rose dishes out. There was even a bit of romance this week with Suzune, who remains a fun character (surely their joint training will be peaceful...).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I was kind of hoping we were through the training stuff, but I guess not. I'm more interested in the coming war, I have to admit. Patience, Blood-, patience...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:32 am Reply with quote
Maybe not surprisingly, I liked this episode a lot. I think the training was just the running plot device (heh) that gave Usato an excuse to interact with a lot of different people. It fleshed out the healers' place in the social order a bit, let us meet some of the other healers who didn't qualify to be vanguards but have their own value, and touched base with Suzune again, which is always welcome as far as I'm concerned. I love that this anime didn't have the the two popular kids be sociopaths but made one of them a closet chuunibyou and the other just a quiet, decent guy. And it deepened the MC's relationship with Rose too. I just hope the shows not leading to him having to take her place the way these awesome mentor type scenarios often do, cos I like Rose.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 showed clearly that one of the reasons that this show is a fair bit better than most isekai are the characters. I especially liked the honest conversation about actually not minding their new life in another world and them not liking how their life was before. Be it Usato or Suzune, they are giving it their all and in the case of the latter it explains why she is such a hardcore isekai fan, it is finally her time to be free.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:31 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Episode 5 showed clearly that one of the reasons that this show is a fair bit better than most isekai are the characters. I especially liked the honest conversation about actually not minding their new life in another world and them not liking how their life was before. Be it Usato or Suzune, they are giving it their all and in the case of the latter it explains why she is such a hardcore isekai fan, it is finally her time to be free.

True. As it turns out, likable, faceted characters do a lot to sell me on a show. I wish more was happening, definitely, but I'm happy to the show room to get there. These characters have earned that leeway from me.

Suzune said something interesting though- something to the effect of "Is that why you were always cold to me?" (Forgive the likely misquote.) My understanding is that she and Usato had no communication prior to the start of the show. But that comment sounds like she attempted to talk to him before (Or...believes she did.) Odd, but not out of character either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5