• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Full Metal Panic! Another Spinoff Novel's Ad Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
This news is bitter sweet for two reasons:
1. Tokyopop is no longer around to bring these novels stateside... and I don't know of any other company who is willing take their place.

2. More novels and no new anime?!
Beni_Hime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
More novels and no new anime?!

Ssssssssh.. Be patient. It will come. Definitely looking forward to more. That's for sure! Very Happy
Jarmel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Beni_Hime wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:
More novels and no new anime?!

Ssssssssh.. Be patient. It will come. Definitely looking forward to more. That's for sure!
Very Happy

Lol wish I shared your optimism. I honestly don't expect we'll see another one as KyoAni is too self-absorbed into 4koma.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Nichijou is 4koma. At least, it doesn't play out like one.

But yes, getting a third serious season or even a Fumoffu 2 would be awesome.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I don't think Nichijou is 4koma. At least, it doesn't play out like one.

But yes, getting a third serious season or even a Fumoffu 2 would be awesome.

It uses a combination of both normal format an 4koma.
M7AS Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
A renewal of FMP! would be great, but unfortunately it looks a lot more... moe.
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Great but I don't know how the original ended.
What happened to everyone?
M7AS Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
To tsunayakuin: spoiler[Sosuke kills Gauron, kills the psychopathic villain from TSR, and agrees to continue working for Mithril under the condition that he may remain with Kaname, Tessa is pleased that her relationship with Sosuke improves, Sosuke and Kaname return to Jindai High where things seem to become relatively normal]
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
M7AS Pilot wrote:
A renewal of FMP! would be great, but unfortunately it looks a lot more... moe.

What looks more moe? The novel?

Edit: Never mind. I did not see the video before because I had it ad blocked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Is the protagonist supposed to be Souske and Kanami's kid? He looks like Souske and has blue hair , at least it looks blue in that picture like Kanami. Plus he looks like he could be around 10 yrs old or so. Although honestly I always preferred Tessa with Souske.
GVentola

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
If I did a ten years after story on FMP, I'd want it to be about Kaname and Sousuke, not some new boy. But it doesn't matter; we'll probably never get it over here. I really need to learn Japanese, go to Japan, go to Akihabara, buy all the FMP novels, and ship them back home. Yeah, as if! Wink
FeistyDreams

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
M7AS Pilot wrote:
To tsunayakuin: spoiler[Sosuke kills Gauron, kills the psychopathic villain from TSR, and agrees to continue working for Mithril under the condition that he may remain with Kaname, Tessa is pleased that her relationship with Sosuke improves, Sosuke and Kaname return to Jindai High where things seem to become relatively normal]

Old news, that's just the end of the anime. The novels went on to cover another year and a half of their lives.

The real end of FMP:
spoiler[Kaname was kidnapped by Leonard, Sousuke spent well over a year hunting for her. Lots of things happened, we thought Kurz died, but he was saved by Wraith. The ARX-8 kicks some serious ass, especially after the installation of the anti-LD that was designed by Kaname. Kaname gets possessed by the Whisperer, thinks she killed Sousuke and Tessa, but that was something that the real Kaname made them all think happened to spare their lives from Sophia (the Whisperer). Leonard betrays Amalgam, Mallory turns out to be the leader of both Amalgam and Mithril, he founded Mithril to go against Amalgam, because Amalgam was originally a benevolent group and turned bad. Leonard takes over Merida Island and builds a machine to turn back time. When Kaname goes to do it, she decides she can't give up on everything, and refuses to turn it back, takes control of her body again, lots of shit happens, Kalinin kills Leonard, Sousuke kills Kalinin(ish. More like a helicopter crash kills him.) a nuke hits Merida when Sousuke is the only one left, Al activates the LD all on his own and saves them, Sousuke shows up at school at their class's graduation, where Kaname had also shown up, and takes his goddamn kiss from his woman. Hells yeah.]

CrownKlown wrote:
Is the protagonist supposed to be Souske and Kanami's kid? He looks like Souske and has blue hair , at least it looks blue in that picture like Kanami. Plus he looks like he could be around 10 yrs old or so. Although honestly I always preferred Tessa with Souske.

Nope, he's not. And, sorry to burst your bubble, but the entirety of FMP was about Sousuke and Kaname's story. They're the ultimate couple. The reason the first novel is "Fighting Boy Meets Girl" is because that's the theme of all of FMP. (Gatoh's own words) Sousuke always belonged with Kaname. Tessa doesn't work for him at all, and it was in book 6 where he shot her down. ("Do you like me?" "Yes." "But not as much as you like Miss Kaname." "...No. Sorry." -probably ad-libbed since I'm too lazy to look up the exact wording, but that was the idea)

But, no, the boy is named Tatsuya Ichinose. 市之瀬(いちのせ)達哉(たつや) and the blonde girl is Adelina Alexandrovna Krenskaya アデリーナ・アレクサンドロヴナ・ケレンスカヤ.

Some information about FMPA:
It takes place 10 years after the end of the novels, making it 2011. 3rd generation ASes are now commonplace (think Mithril's M9's, the Venom/Codarls and the likes), and there's now 'Power Slaves.' PSes are for civilian usage, to make everyday life easier. I'm assuming they're used for things like construction. They're smaller than ASes, and require a person to operate them.

Tatsuya is a 3rd year at Jindai High, he's a mechanic, and a perv. (No, really, 'sukebe' is in his description. XD) He enjoys working on Power Slaves, and this is the precedent for him knowing stuff about ASes.

When an Arm Slave attacks Tokyo, and he comes across the injured pilot of the AS-1, an 18-y/o blonde, he aids her and this changes his life.
'Lina: "I'm the only one who can defeat that bastard!"
Tatsuya: "I'll do it... I'll defeat that AS!"

'Lina ('Lina is the accepted nickname for her, it's what she's been referred to as most often) is an AS pilot for the PMC (private military contractors) organization known as Dana O'Shee Military Service (DOMS). It appears that after his encounter with her, Tatsuya enlists in DOMS as well. 'Lina seems to have a thing against mercenaries.
"You mercenaries are kinda late. Better get going."
"We're not mercs, they're nothing more than devils. We're PMC, and you damn well better get your words straight."
(more ad-libbing because I'm too lazy to hunt down the exact quote)

Uhm... I think this is about all the info I have. 'Lina's AS is the AS-1, the typical AS used by DOMS is the Zy-99M Shadow. The Japanese military uses the 96 Shiki Kai, and the PS that we see is the Dai Dara. The whole crew has returned for FMPA, the art will all be done by Shikidouji, the mecha designs are still by Ebikawa Kanetake, the story was drafted by Gatoh Shouji, and the actual writing will be done by the newcomer, Oguro.

A stream will be done on Nico Nico Douga 2011-8-3 at 2100-2200JST by Gatoh, discussing FMPA and Maji de Abunai Kyuushi ni Issei (the newest short story collection which is also going to be released on 8/20 along with FMPA)

Fun fact: The release of FMPA and Maji de is on the 1 year anniversary of the final FMP novel Zutto, Stand By Me part 2. Don't know why I remember that ZSBM2 came out 2010-8-20, but I do. XD

Okay, yeah, now I'm out of info. ^_~

::Edit::
It's "Maji de Abunai Kyuushi ni Isshou." I can read. u_u;

::Edit 2 (rather than double-post)::
The live stream has come and gone. The "cool beauty" (woman in the business suit) is Wraith. There're new M9s, and they look badass, but the viewers on the stream apparently didn't like it, and it earned the nicknames 'Gakkari M9' and 'CORE-ja9' (Gakkari=disappointment, the other is a play on words "kore ja nai n" = "this isn't it"). They had a pic of the Dai Dara PS in action, and it's pretty friggin' awesome. Saw alternate color schemes for the Zy-99M Shadow and the AS-1, and damn were they pretty~ Well, some were meh, but mostly awesome. Oh, and it's 11 years after the end, not 10. They confirmed the exact number, since it was kind of arbitrary before.

And, what everyone wanted to know, we got the disappointing answer. "No 4th season any time soon."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1