• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 1st Pokémon Center in Quake-Hit Tohoku Region Planned

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote
"Feeling Down? Buy our stuff!"
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote
@Anymouse
Well, yeah, that's the general goal of any place that sells merchandise, but don't forget about this bit. :

Quote:
One of the stated goals of the new store is to support and bring children together in the area of Japan hardest hit by the disaster. The establishment of the store is part of the "POKEMON with YOU" disaster support initiative. The campaign's activities include organizing children's events, handing out Pokemon merchandise, and raising funds for children coping with the March 11 tragedy. According to the creators, the concept of the Tohoku Pokemon Center is to create a place for all children in the region to come together and smile.

Sounds like a sweet and wonderful idea! I'm pretty sure that if I was a little kid in that situation, I'd be pretty appreciative.

Though I'm not so sure that Smugleaf-- er, Snivy-- is an appropriate character to adorn the logo for this particular Pokemon Center. We wouldn't want little kids to feel like they're being looked down upon from whatever high horse that little rascal is on. Laughing

Last edited by Animerican14 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
well Snvy is a 5th generation after all. it cant be pikachu all the time. Laughing

and i think it's a good thing. it weill help give a smile for the kids that were affected by this diaster and as a pokemaniac myself, i am definitely happy about this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Though I'm not so sure that Smugleaf-- er, Snivy-- is an appropriate character to adorn the logo for this particular Pokemon Center. We wouldn't want little kids to feel like they're being looked down upon from whatever high horse that little rascal is on. Laughing

I dislike memes sometime... Tsutarja is more tsundere than anything else.
potassium

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
@Anymouse
Well, yeah, that's the general goal of any place that sells merchandise

Except when I hear a Pokemon Center is being built, unless told otherwise I would of course assume that's where I'm expected to take my Pokemon to heal them to full and reset their status to normal.
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
potassium wrote:
Animerican14 wrote:
@Anymouse
Well, yeah, that's the general goal of any place that sells merchandise

Except when I hear a Pokemon Center is being built, unless told otherwise I would of course assume that's where I'm expected to take my Pokemon to heal them to full and reset their status to normal.

That's kind of the idea behind the Pokemon with You initiative, but instead of the Pokemon getting healed, it's the kids who are growing up with them. I think this is a great idea, personally. It sends a positive message to never give up and stay strong inside, so that you can grow and "evolve" as a person. I'm 27 (GET OFF MY LAWN) and I can't help but smile when I see Pikachu, so it's probably an absolute blast for the little ones. I'd love to volunteer for something like this if I lived in Japan, even if it meant being inside that hot, heavy Pikachu suit. I can already do the voice of the little guy. Pika~ o^ . ^o
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Each Pokecenter has its own 'Pokemon' which are more or less exclusive to that branch. This set changes over time - in 2008, Pokecenter Osaka had Squirtle & Meowth, and now they have Tepig & Meowth. Pokecenter Tokyo used to feature Poliwhirl & Charmander, and now they feature Piplup & Charmander. So, as more Pokemon are produced, Tsutaja will be replaced by whatever new starter Pokemon comes in the next generation or two.

Besides, I think Tsutaja was a better choice, then, say, Mijumaru. I'm sure the little water otter wouldn't be the best choice considering what Sendai went through.

The only time you really notice the Pokecenter exclusive Pokemon is when they feature exclusive merchandise. Sometimes the Pokecenters feature exclusive plushies, and in order to get the complete set, you have to go to all the Pokecenters to buy their exclusives.

Or go on Yahoo Japan...

I like the Pokemon & You initiative. There has been a lot of charity work in Japan on the part of artists, anime studios and mangaka since the earthquake. In the case of Pokemon, when the new movies were released, there were a few Japanese movie cast signed items that were featured on Yahoo Japan and went for several hundred dollars.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Victini just premiered with the movie, so that makes sense, but I figured Mijumaru would make more sense since it seems to be the most popular starter in the anime (or at least the one they give the biggest screen time to)
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:29 am Reply with quote
I think it's adorable how Pokemon is being used in so many ways to lift the spirits of kids in the area ^^

Going on most suitable 5th gen starter to adorn the logo, shouldn't it be Pokabu? Since the little dude is so happy, and went through some pretty hard times before he joined Ash/Satoshi right? I like Tsutarja the best though so I approve of the current lineup Anime hyper
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Pokabu is already being used for Pokecenter Osaka. Mijumaru is featured at Fukuoka.

If you ever get the chance to go to Japan and are in one of the larger cities, I recommend hitting the Pokecenters. They're always busy (more so on weekends and public holidays), but there's so much cute stuff and Pokemon related products that you've never thought of, and they generally feature some kind of promotion if you bring your Nintendo Pokemon game along.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:06 am Reply with quote
Actually their is. According to serebii.net , there is a japan promo for a Hydregion and Golurk for the Black and White movies.

Though I dont live there , i do have friend codes so hopefully i'll find someone from the planned centre to trade me theirs.

Also ss-hikaru , you are right. which is why I'm still a pokemaniac up to now. Hopefully this will go off without a hitch.

Though when in the heck will they release the Team Rocket Vs Team Plasma eps is beyond me. Have a feeling their gonna be a part of the " infamous banned epsiodes."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1