• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: GaoGaiGar: King of Braves DVD 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Five coming out means a long wait for 6 Crying or Very sad
I love the show so much Laughing What the review states as bad things are exactly what the fans love so much!
Thundercloud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
Yeah the series is quite formulaic until around about this point. After this the series becomes rather epic. Very Happy
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
Figures they'd put the show on hiatus right when it 's about to kick into high gear. And even worse is that they fired the dub cast. That was one dub that knew exactly what it was doing.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, the series just wasn't selling well. As a result, MB had to choose between canceling it completely or doing the rest sub only, and they decided that no dub would be better than completely screwing over the fans (and they could probably still make some profit that way).
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Unfortunately, the series just wasn't selling well. As a result, MB had to choose between canceling it completely or doing the rest sub only, and they decided that no dub would be better than completely screwing over the fans (and they could probably still make some profit that way).

Shocked Source? I hadn't heard about them dropping the dub! That's horrible, I really liked the dub. It's gonna be weird making the switch to the subs whenever they do resume.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
now come on guys, sacrifices have to be made if we want more Voltron Rolling Eyes

seriously though... i didn't hear about the dub thing. that's pretty messed up.

maybe Imaginasian can pick up this series.
vocab

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
MB will finish GGG, but I hope there's a chance for Final to get licensed as well.

Bad mistake on MB part by advertising GGG on Voltrons popularity.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
It was a mistake to try and release them both at the same time.

Ugh, and right when it finally hits high gear. After this volume, the series goes into full acceleration and never looks back.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I miscalculated my estimation on DVDs. I recalled the Zonder conflict wrapping at ep. 25 instead of 30. It is a shame that it gets put on hiatus the moment it will begin to deliver what it is currently being criticized for. While every episode in the first half follows a formula I do think the constant addition of new robots (toy commercial comments aside) does keep things a little fresh because each robot/tool is very inventive. It's a lot of build up, and on the first run through the show can get quite boring due to it's repetition, but in the end it will pay off.

Oh, and Mic Sounders is one of the best mecha creations in anime history.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Shocked Source? I hadn't heard about them dropping the dub! That's horrible, I really liked the dub. It's gonna be weird making the switch to the subs whenever they do resume.

Somewhere on AoD, I don't remember exactly where. Possibly from John Sirabella himself.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Another fun volume, GGG is just pure win for the Giant Robot fan Cool , and to the reviewer, Super Robot anime started the stock footage for transformation trend, not Magical girls Wink

And just in case, MB hasn't confirmed that it has dropped the dub, just the because of Voltron, they were puting GGG in Hiatus.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Ryken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Hell, Magical Girls were invented by Uncle Go just as Super Robots were >.>;;

Anyway, once again, knowing chuckle at this review, though I must give him/her credit for catching on that Pizza and Kaidou will become more important - I should add, for the same reason. I must take him down a peg on two notes though:

1) Recap episodes aren't pointless - do remember that this series actually aired on telly once a week. Recap episodes are a great refresher to remind everyone of what's happened over the past 3 months, and to give a quick idea of what they missed to people who might have not had a chance to watch some of the previous episodes for whatever reason. Your luxury of watching it at your leisure in marathon form should not be taken for granted.

2) Dated animation? Well yea - it's not like this is a brand new show, like some of the American viewers seem to think. The show was MADE in the '90s, so looking like other shows of the '90s (Nadesico and Gundam Wing for example) is kinda what you'd expect. Lurk more please.

Anyway, while the dub cast didn't suck miserably like we expected them to, losing them will be a good thing if it means the DVDs come out faster and cheaper - maybe then I'll be able to afford them when the box set comes out. That hiatus is a bummer for you guys though, especially since Tokyo Crisis starts on the exact next DVD. In fact, I think I'm going to go watch it now~
cubs2084

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quote
Show on hiatus? What is this nonsense?

As others have said in here, this is literally just before the show gets incredibly awesome. To stop now is pretty ludicrous, not to mention a spit in the face of us fans who know exactly why the show is great, something the clearly unimpressed reviewer would see for himself: every episode after 25. Oy....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1