• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Black and White and Matsumoto'd All Over

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I saw the cover of demon flowers and realized it must be mine. Then I read the review and that need intensified.

TEKKON KINKREET sounds intresting but that $30 price tag is what keeps me away. I'll have to wait till I can find that bad boy on sale.

I forgot about Tsubasa again. This reminds me i need to pick this up.

Nice reviews- thanks for helping me pick out what i need to buy. And next week looks like its going to possibly be a 30% week at Borders....so im excited.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
rem really is an amazing artist who sort of exemplifies the overseas-mangaka-wannabe's dream... it's too bad she's drawing for some cruddy teen horror author's story. What a complete waste of talent.

It seems to me like it's rare for Tsubasa to get a decent review. I don't know, I haven't read it in ages-- it got too repetitive for me-- but I was surprised.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
TEKKON KINKREET sounds intresting but that $30 price tag is what keeps me away. I'll have to wait till I can find that bad boy on sale.

Well, think of it this way, it's not really $30, it's just $10 per volume all bound together, plus fancy extras. When was the last time you bought three volumes of a series and they offered you a free dust jacket plus color inserts and a fold-out? Wink
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

It seems to me like it's rare for Tsubasa to get a decent review. I don't know, I haven't read it in ages-- it got too repetitive for me-- but I was surprised.

You need to start reading again. Volume 13 was complete backstory for Kurogane, and this new world in volume 14/15 is where the series stops being repetitive and starts being good. I fully expect the following volumes to get similar (or better) reviews.
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Mindful Vampire kisses is based on a novel targeted towards 12-year old girls, no offense , but aren't your feelings of cliche kinda biased?
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
CatzCradle wrote:
Mindful Vampire kisses is based on a novel targeted towards 12-year old girls, no offense , but aren't your feelings of cliche kinda biased?

Of course they're biased, I know I'm biased, the things I like are obviously not the same things a 12-year-old girl likes* (I would be very disturbed if that were true). That's why I said in the review that the book would be awesome as long as the reader was around that age.

RTO wrote:
awesome when you're 13, but pure Kryptonite once you're old enough to write reviews for a website.

I mean ... that justifies my opinion, while also acknowledging the target audience. I don't know what else I could say without being dishonest.

*but on a side note, Raina Telgemeier's Babysitters Club graphic novels are awesome.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
Hmm...I actually really, really loved volume 7 of Yakipan; I personally think its where things start getting -much- more interesting.
If it was all 'bread bread bread' for 26 volumes, it'd get a little dull after a while. Of course we need some drama and conspiracy behind the scenes. I think it's done fantastically.
Of course, just my opinion.
Also, it has my favourite cover (although the japanese one's background colours are nicer, the VIZ one is too...yellow). Shigeru is too freaking adorable to be allowed sometimes.
SpiritualRemains

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:42 am Reply with quote
I have to say I was really shocked at the release of Tekkon Kinkreet when I got the package. I was fully expecting the 5x7 volume size, maybe 6x8, but definately not the 7x10 that we got. Definately makes up for it being flipped. Definately worth the $18 I spent on it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:30 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see Tsubasa getting such a high grade. Perhaps I'll need to pick it up again, I was getting a bit bored with it (I think I read three volumes? Or maybe just two, the last one was dealing with the characters from the Legend of [insert main character's name here?]). It was just too shounen-y for my tastes at that point.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:47 am Reply with quote
Tekkonkinkreet? I guess I can finally read what Cloe's being talkin' about. But with that $30 price tag?! I guess for three volumes and fancy extras are very much worth it.

Vampire Kisses looks pretty on the outside, but it may be a "rent" title for me. And I'm kind of regretting not continuing Tsubasa and not picking up Yakitate!! Then again, I have other things to worry about. (Like those fancy extras that come with Tekkonkinkreet.) Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:33 am Reply with quote
Wow, a RTO column with not one, but two masterpieces reviewed! Even though I already own Viz's old three-volume Black and White (I'll always think of it that way), I'm going to pick the new version up as well. I don't think I'd mind owning two copies of my favorite comic book ever. Just one more week 'til the movie comes out!

Ah, Usamaru Furuya. I need to credit him for getting me into avant-garde, Garo-esque manga in the first place. Short Cuts was one of the first manga titles I ever purchased and it subsequently led me to Junko Mizuno, Kiriko Nananan, and many other of my current favorite artists. I've read the scanlation of The Music of Marie (something I normally never do, since I hate reading manga on the computer screen) and it's indeed awesome. I need to pick up the import one of these days, along with the Mind Game manga.

Last edited by Cloe on Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote
Even when they're sleepwalking, Clamp is good. I just can't see dropping any of their titles. Yeah, I really prefer Xxxholic to Tsubasa, but even in its dullest volumes, there's some sparkle to make it interesting (usually Fay).
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote
The art for Vampire Kisses looks nifty... Too bad I hate most Vampires. And Goths. It did sound almost tolerable until I found out the town was named "Dullsville". What kind of a name is that? Makes it sound like some whiny teenage BS rebellion feeling of hating your home town.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Gotta disagree with you on Mizuki Hakase's art style since the whole reason I bought Demon Ororon WAS the art style. There's just something about it that draws in my eye with it's stylistic designs, and it's just so different than what we usually see in manga that it's refreshing. Shadows of course can set a mood and all, but it's no necessary to put in values, and a prime example of this would be XXXholic which rarely uses values and screentones. I'll agree with her story telling though; Mizuki Hakase can't write a story. Since I bought all of Ororon based on the art, I didn't really care about the story, so after reading it and being left with a "WTF?" thought, I just let it go because the art was oh so appealing.

Vampire Kisses: So not picking it up, but I gotta wonder about the theme and it's timing. There isn't a better time than now seeing as Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series is selling out in bookstores all over the country, and those teeny girls in love with vamps are gonna want to have stuff to hold them over till the next book comes out.
roujin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
man, Tekkonkinkreet is amazing. I need to pick this up edition. It's essential if you consider yourself a serious manga fan.

I've heard lots of good things about The Music of Marie and it's been on my Want To Read for a while... better start looking for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3