• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Adds Buso Renkin Anime, Plans Set-Only Release

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotaruzuki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Why would they only release the box set?

Is it a marketing stategy or cheaper for the company?

Last edited by Hotaruzuki on Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
gunshottrigun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I would actually buy that, it seems like a good idea.
Shadowguy108

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I think its quite nice. I would have waited for a box even if single discs were released so this is better for me. and 100$ for the complete series is not a great price but a good one.
since I don't expect Buso Renkin coming to germany anytime soon as anime I will buy it
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh, i like this pricing, reminds me of the pricing for naruto uncut. (that reminds me i need to catch up on such)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
On another note, did someone already listed some of the English cast already?

anime#6601
feytaline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's a lot of money to drop at one time, but then again, I really like the series, so I guess I'm willing to spend it. I'm hoping it's not too discouraging to people who haven't seen any yet--I want people who haven't to give it a try!
Brians9824

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Ehh its $49.99 MSRP. How often do you see stuff being sold for MSRP? Even if it IS $50 a boxset just wait for sale at DDD or something which knocks 20% off.

It shouldnt be to hard to get the boxsets for $30 a pop.
JackCox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:06 pm Reply with quote
well Liam O'Brien posted on his site that he was in this series, I'm guessing it wasn't a big series then.
Shawaazu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
This idea will certainly be cheaper and take up less space, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Viz officials stated, "We were running out of Naruto episodes, and we needed a new show which would guarantee that no one could tell the difference, so we picked Buso Renkin." Rolling Eyes Anyway, I'm kind of surprised they didn't go for D. Gray Man first.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if anyone would go for D gray man? anytime you here something about it people always stress the ridiculous amount of filler.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
That's great news and a steel at that price. Not really sure why some of you think the price is too high, it's the equivalent of about three DVDs (or four depending on how they pack it), which even at $20/disc would still be cheaper this way. And like others have said few stores sell at MSRP these days so you could probably get it in the $40 to $45 range. I often spend about $50 on two DVDs at Best Buy so half a series for what will be under $50 is a great thing and I hope to see them do this more.

Gatsu, how can they be running out of episodes of Naruto if they've still got 100 episodes of the first series and the second series is ongoing? And why would they need a show that people will think is Naruto? They've still got about two years worth of first series episodes to go through on Toonami and the DVDs are pretty far behind that and still would have Shippuuden to follow that up with. Sounds more like they're just trying to find the next big thing that can ride the popularity wave of Naruto more than replace it. I'm kinda surprised they didn't go with History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi instead, but I liked BR and I'm looking forward to seeing it again in English.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aluria

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
That price is a bit steep. $100 for 26 episodes? Yuck, I regularly spend $50 or $60 for 26 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Emerje: I was kidding.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
$50 MSRP= $30 at the next TRSI Viz sale. $27 for GA members.

My BF will be most pleased... Very Happy

I don't see how $50 is even that bad, really... comparable length boxsets run $40-45... and that's for series which released singles first and a boxset several months/years later. (I guess people just instantly balk at the first price, no matter what? *ponders*)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4