Forum - View topic
NEWS: Niconico Streams Shana III, Future Diary, Haganai, C3, Maken-Ki


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 5344
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
This made me laugh. Funimation never even released Shana II DVDs yet >.<
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reibooi



Joined: 03 Mar 2008
Posts: 394
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
This made me laugh. Funimation never even released Shana II DVDs yet >.<


They haven't released many of the titles they got from Geneon and it's not Funi's fault. Geneon is doing some kind of merger in Japan with another company and is not sending the materials to Funi and they can't work on something they don't have the materials to. This is the case for Shana II OVA's, Movie, Index, Railgun, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon OVA, Lain and many more. Funi would have more then likely had a good portion of those titles released had Geneon been sending them the materials needed to get started but they haven't and FUni can't be blamed for that.

On topic. I kinda wonder what this even means. What exactly is the benefit for them doing licenses for streaming this way? Just lower cost? Will there be a better chance we will see these simulcasts get full licenses?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
prime_pm



Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Posts: 2115
Location: Your Mother's Bedroom
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Nico Nico.

Let's see. Funimation got Guilty Crown. Check. Crunchyroll got Majikoi and eventually Squid Girl again. Check. Nico Nico got Future Diary and Haganai. Check.

Okay, my fall schedule's confirmed. No more illegal streaming this season!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 5344
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
This made me laugh. Funimation never even released Shana II DVDs yet >.<


They haven't released many of the titles they got from Geneon and it's not Funi's fault. Geneon is doing some kind of merger in Japan with another company and is not sending the materials to Funi and they can't work on something they don't have the materials to. This is the case for Shana II OVA's, Movie, Index, Railgun, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon OVA, Lain and many more. Funi would have more then likely had a good portion of those titles released had Geneon been sending them the materials needed to get started but they haven't and FUni can't be blamed for that.

On topic. I kinda wonder what this even means. What exactly is the benefit for them doing licenses for streaming this way? Just lower cost? Will there be a better chance we will see these simulcasts get full licenses?
There's another news post about them making some mini-company thingie where Niconico streams and then funi sells the dvds..I'm guessing this allows better communcation between Japan and funimation for quicker everything.

I just don't see people buying Shana III dvds/blurays without getting the 2nd season first.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reibooi



Joined: 03 Mar 2008
Posts: 394
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Reibooi wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
This made me laugh. Funimation never even released Shana II DVDs yet >.<


They haven't released many of the titles they got from Geneon and it's not Funi's fault. Geneon is doing some kind of merger in Japan with another company and is not sending the materials to Funi and they can't work on something they don't have the materials to. This is the case for Shana II OVA's, Movie, Index, Railgun, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon OVA, Lain and many more. Funi would have more then likely had a good portion of those titles released had Geneon been sending them the materials needed to get started but they haven't and FUni can't be blamed for that.

On topic. I kinda wonder what this even means. What exactly is the benefit for them doing licenses for streaming this way? Just lower cost? Will there be a better chance we will see these simulcasts get full licenses?
There's another news post about them making some mini-company thingie where Niconico streams and then funi sells the dvds..I'm guessing this allows better communcation between Japan and funimation for quicker everything.

I just don't see people buying Shana III dvds/blurays without getting the 2nd season first.


If that is the case I doubt we will see Shana III before II. I would assume(I don't know for sure cause i'm to lazy to look) that Geneon would also be the licensor of Shana III meaning that even if Funi did get DVD rights they would not get the materials until they got the materials for Shana II and if they had both logic would dictate they release them in order. I see no reason why Geneon would send materials to a newer show right away and not older shows. Chances are funi would have to wait on both seasons until Geneon gets their stuff together over in Japan. But again this assumes Geneon is the licensor or not. Either way if they end up having the rights to II and III i doubt they would release III before II.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 5344
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is;

Funimation, you release Shana II and III in bluray boxsets and I'll buy them day 1.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous



Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 2248
Location: Hunting the Dragon in Gransys
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Okay, my fall schedule's confirmed. No more illegal streaming this season!

Same here. I'm actually quite relieved I won't have to keep resorting to fansubs for Haganai. And I will be able to check out C^3 to see if it can "top" Horizon as worst show of the current season Razz .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Reibooi



Joined: 03 Mar 2008
Posts: 394
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
All I can say is;

Funimation, you release Shana II and III in bluray boxsets and I'll buy them day 1.


Amen to that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
prime_pm



Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Posts: 2115
Location: Your Mother's Bedroom
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Okay, my fall schedule's confirmed. No more illegal streaming this season!

Same here. I'm actually quite relieved I won't have to keep resorting to fansubs for Haganai. And I will be able to check out C^3 to see if it can "top" Horizon as worst show of the current season Razz .


Oh yeah! Nico Nico's comment feature! I'm gonna have fun with that!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the Rancorous



Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 2248
Location: Hunting the Dragon in Gransys
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
if they had both logic would dictate they release them in order.

Or they could release both at the same time like they're doing with Rosario X Vampire.

prime_pm wrote:
Oh yeah! Nico Nico's comment feature! I'm gonna have fun with that!

I usually turn that off immediately, but I can see that feature being pretty fun with the bad shows. Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
neocloud9



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 1178
Location: Atlanta, GA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Not to sound ungrateful or anything, but it'd be kinda nice to have some way to watch Shana II before Shana III... I already have the first season on DVD, whatever happened to the rest? Wasn't there some kind of deal worked out with Geneon or am I misremembering?

EDIT: Oh, I see. Hope that gets resolved soon. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wandering-dreamer



Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 1733
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, Future Diary was the last fall title I wanted to follow but was going to hold off because it didn't have a simulcast, problem solved!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jrittmayer



Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 304
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Still don't understand why Funi snaps up titles like Shana and DOESNT DO ANYTHING WITH THEM. It's like they just license them so nobody else can.

And besides, all these simulcast streaming titles that Funi's been having the past year or so, how many of them have been released yet on DVD/Bluray?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The King of Harts



Joined: 05 May 2009
Posts: 6712
Location: Mount Crawford, Virginia
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
And besides, all these simulcast streaming titles that Funi's been having the past year or so, how many of them have been released yet on DVD/Bluray?

Almost all of them? I think the only ones not being released (in the US at least) are Tatami Galaxy, Rainbow, and House of Five Leaves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aeriven



Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Posts: 55
Location: Alabama
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:

prime_pm wrote:
Oh yeah! Nico Nico's comment feature! I'm gonna have fun with that!

I usually turn that off immediately, but I can see that feature being pretty fun with the bad shows. Twisted Evil


In the last few episodes of BLOOD-C, I think the user comments actually made the show better. Twisted Evil

Anyway, this is quite excellent news! I'm glad to have a legal means to watch Mirai Nikki, and will definitely give some of the others a try now that I don't have to resort to fansubs in order to preview them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group