• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation DVD Ranking: Top 20 DVDs of 2007

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:52 am Reply with quote
Damn, how can a film no one in Japan liked still be the most successful? Does this mean that Goro will have free reign to run the company into the ground now? Now I really hope Hayao-san gives the studio to Takahata before he dies...
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:19 am Reply with quote
Isn't 242,000 units pretty pathetic for a Ghibili film though? Which shows how much Ghibli have dominated things when 242k which would be amazing for anything else is considered pathetic by their standards..
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:56 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Damn, how can a film no one in Japan liked still be the most successful?

A film doesn't have to be critically acclaimed (or any good) for it to make money, provided there's enough hype, publicity and marketing behind it.

Quote:
Does this mean that Goro will have free reign to run the company into the ground now? Now I really hope Hayao-san gives the studio to Takahata before he dies...

You appear to be suffering under the illusion that "Hayao-san" owns Studio Ghibli outright. He doesn't. Isn't Ghibli a subsidiary of Tokuma Shoten Publishing?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote
Something is weird with #17.

Quote:
Laputa - Castle in the Sky #7 Limited Edition

How come a movie got #7? As far as I know the Collector's Edition was released over five years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote
Nice to see Code Geass selling well and it's amazing that Totoro is still selling that much!
Jakobus77

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:33 am Reply with quote
All those DVD sales are pretty sad really I mean the highest selling DVD only sold 242,000 units, and most of the anime DVDs sold anywhere near 100,000.

I mean dang its Japan you would think anime would be selling like crazy over there but only 40,000 or 50,000 units sold, anime which is considered kind of an outsider hobby in America sells similar numbers and we have to import it.
eloyabun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I’m so disappointed to know that Gedo Senki was the best selling DVD last year. Looks like for the Japanese consumer, the brand (or its name) it’s everything and they would care less for the quality of the product itself. 2006 was a year that gave us anime films like Paprika, Tekkon Kinkurito & TokiKake, and among those, I have no doubt that Goro’s film was the weaker (in both, storytelling and technique).

Following this logic, I would not be surprised if in 2008 the best selling DVD movie is the Evangelion remake, just because is a well known brand for Japanese fans…
JackCox

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Damn, how can a film no one in Japan liked still be the most successful? Does this mean that Goro will have free reign to run the company into the ground now? Now I really hope Hayao-san gives the studio to Takahata before he dies...

I actually liked the film, much better in english especially with Willem Dafoe playing Cobb.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote
American animated television shows are more niche in Japan than Japanese animated television shows are niche in the United States.

In general, American animated television series fail to sell on DVD in Japan.

If memory serves me correct as its Kantou television household audience ratings have not been disclosed by reliable sources at 2ch lately, although it airs in prime time in the Kantou region of Japan (Tokyo, Yokohama, Kawasaki, Chiba, Saitama, etc.), Disney Time regularly draws meager ratings in the 2-3% range.

According to Character Databank of Japan, however, Disney characters like Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh sell a lot of merchandise in Japan.

The long-running American popular animated television show, The Simpsons, itself is not popular in Japan, but many Japanese recognize its characters from the CC Lemon commercials...

Last edited by Siegel Clyne on Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Deleted garbage.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote
My Neighbor Totoro, a 20 year old anime sells 34% as well as Gedo Senki, the top seller and brand new movie by same company. Amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
indrik

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Jakobus77 wrote:
All those DVD sales are pretty sad really I mean the highest selling DVD only sold 242,000 units, and most of the anime DVDs sold anywhere near 100,000.

I mean dang its Japan you would think anime would be selling like crazy over there but only 40,000 or 50,000 units sold, anime which is considered kind of an outsider hobby in America sells similar numbers and we have to import it.

I was under the impression that 40,000 units would be a really, really good seller, and that most are closer to 10,000 or 20,000. I remember seeing that a best seller (Maybe the Appleseed movie?) didn't top 100,000 that year.

But I don't really know anything.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:09 pm Reply with quote
eloyabun wrote:
I’m so disappointed to know that Gedo Senki was the best selling DVD last year. Looks like for the Japanese consumer, the brand (or its name) it’s everything and they would care less for the quality of the product itself. 2006 was a year that gave us anime films like Paprika, Tekkon Kinkurito & TokiKake, and among those, I have no doubt that Goro’s film was the weaker (in both, storytelling and technique).

You seem to be using anime DVD sales data to support two conflicting premises. In this thread, you say that the yearly data prove that anime DVD sales have nothing to do with quality products. In another thread, you say that weekly anime DVD sales data prove that Gonzo aren't making quality products.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=46673

How can anime DVD sale simultaneously prove that Gonzo aren't making good products worthy of people's money, and yet prove that people "would care less for the quality of the product itself"?
eloyabun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
testorschoice, thanks for notice my comments to such a degree you are able to find discrepancies in them Very Happy

I will try to answer to your post the best I can. Yes, at first sight you can say I wrote conflicting premises, but I don't see it that way. Gedo Senki was disappointing to me; not because it was a wortless movie per se; but because it was below the standars that a brand like Ghibli haves anime fans accustomed to.

If you ask me, Gonzo has done only mediocre or bad products, and they have yet to find a really brilliant, original & memorable anime (just my humble opinion, after all).

Returning to my last post, I was disappointed because Gedo Senki DVD sales were above GREAT films like Paprika, Tekkon, and Tokikake. That same year, for example, Gonzo released the theatrical feature Brave Story (by the way, a fantasy epic, just like Gedo Senki), that I found absolutely forgettable, and I have yet to find someone who found it memorable.

To resume my argument, in showbusiness, you can do excellent works, and very bad ones; but if your product is boring, forgettable or mediocre, man, you are screwed. period. That’s why I think is a very coward strategy from Gonzo to blame fansubs for their poor profits.

Don’t get me wrong, after all I don’t think all anime done by Gonzo is bad, I liked NHK ni Youkoso!, but I must insist, they are years Light behind having their own Evangelion, Totoro, or such.

Last edited by eloyabun on Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:39 am Reply with quote
Jakobus77 wrote:

Please keep in mind the cost of a single DVD in Japan may cost over twice as much as a DVD sold in the US (Gedo Senki retails for about 4,900 yen... over $40). I don't know how much of a factor this has on sales, but judging by these numbers, it may have some role.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2