• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wild Life TV Drama Cancelled After Giraffes' Deaths

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
It seems a strange reason to cancel the entire series, almost like they were looking for any reason to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
why couldn't they just get different giraffes?
domino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like it would have been a good show...

It's kind of insulting to the giraffes, though, to cancel the show that they worked so hard for... all of that effort (effort that may have killed them) for nothing.

I hope instead of full cancellation that they'll try to make something work.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It seems a strange reason to cancel the entire series, almost like they were looking for any reason to.

When the central theme of the original manga is saving animals' lives and when a mother and a calf die soon after being separated for the first time, solely for the purposes of filming, it sadly doesn't seem so strange.

v1cious wrote:
why couldn't they just get different giraffes?

It looks like there was only one elderly giraffe left at the zoo. Giraffes normally live about a quarter of century. Besides the production company's likely insurance hike after this incident, there probably aren't many zoos that would agree to allow this production company on their premises after these deaths, even if the cause of death is still being determined. Since the story is tied inextricably to animals, that probably spelled curtains for the show.

domino wrote:
It's kind of insulting to the giraffes, though, to cancel the show that they worked so hard for... all of that effort (effort that may have killed them) for nothing.

After having their lives curtailed, possible by undue conditions of the shooting, I doubt the giraffes' main concern now is the "insult" of not being seen. After two animals' deaths, whether the show goes on shouldn't be anyone's top concern right now.
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Not really; it's hard not to reach the conclusion from the article that the show could have caused the deaths, and that would be terrible publicity for a show that's presumably aimed partially at animal lovers. Even if they were able to just replace the giraffes (and it's not like going down to the pound to get a new dog or cat), they'd have to film around new restrictions imposed by the zoo (if they have any sense) and likely would have to re-shoot all the previous footage. It's probably more economical to cut their losses now, and certainly doesn't make them look as bad.[/i]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

When the central theme of the original manga is saving animals' lives and when a mother and a calf die soon after being separated for the first time, solely for the purposes of filming, it sadly doesn't seem so strange.

To cancel the entire series is still a bit extreme.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cl4y

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

This is Japan we're talking about. The incident's probably a huge disgrace, and cancelling the show may be the only culturally-acceptable response.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

This same production is under investigation for causing the deaths--the same production which would have needed to film still more animals that it now probably has no access to, thanks to insurance and zoos' unlikely willingness to cooperate. When compared to two animals' deaths, the cancellation of a series hardly seems extreme. "Predictable" is a more descriptive adjective.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Use of animals tends to be heavily monitored and scrutinized in film productions in the US and Canada.... Taking away a baby giraffe from it's mother for almost a week doesn't sound like something that would normally occur, and even sounds a bit sketchy [shouldn't they of reunited the pair a few times a day?]. I'm curious what kind of regulations exist in terms the use of animals in film in Japan.

The animals used in domestic films tend to be trained for years, and it's not often you'll see rare, endangered animals used in this way. Using an animal at random from a Zoo is something that's probably very rare, and uncommon. I imagine the Zoo could of had trainers on hand, but even then, it does seem like something sketchy enough to cause controversy.

http://www.americanhumane.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pa_film_guidelines FYI-- Here's the guidelines for in US films.....
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Poor giraffe. Crying or Very sad
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
This has to be an extremely rare manga/anime category: one about the love of animals to the point of really helping them/being an animal doctor.
silentjay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Use of animals tends to be heavily monitored and scrutinized in film productions in the US and Canada....

Not in Asia, and especially not in Japan.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
They don't have a manga about whales do they? Wink
AY War Horse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
This has to be an extremely rare manga/anime category: one about the love of animals to the point of really helping them/being an animal doctor.

I am not sure how rare this catagory of manga "Wild Life" is but the fact that the drama show was cancelled is clearly not extreme or strange as anyone who went to watch this based on the manga would either refuse to watch it owing to the deaths of the animals or else they would not happily accept the series being cut short. Let alone the fact that these deaths would hang over the series, after all it is not a wildlife documentary where at times seeing death is shall we say "natural." In addition the zoo may not want any of the footage which was shot before this incidence air either, since the deaths also reflect badly on the zoo. It is a great pity that these animals died most probably due to misshandling, but the cancelling of the show seems reasonable to me.

Mohawk52 wrote:
They don't have a manga about whales do they? Wink

I am not sure if they do have a manga about whales but if they did it would be a version of Moby Dick Wink .
feytaline

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
It's really pathetic that there are people here that are more concerned about 'ZOMG THIS SERIES GOT CANCELLED!!!ONE1! A SHOW I'LL NEVER WATCH WILL NEVER BE SEEN!!!" than the fact that the article makes it CLEAR that the animals died over the stress of MAKING it.

This isn't Higurashi Kai being put on hiatus because of a unrelated death. There is a clear link, kids, even if people want to cautiously step around it. Animals have emotional health just like humans do, and anyone who has worked around them can vouch for that. Treating them like unfeeling things that can just be separated and pushed around is ridiculous.

Canceling it was the noble thing to do, and I'm glad that the creators have the decency to realize that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2