• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Shonen Showdown

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oriana3k

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see someone bash Haou Airen or Evil's Return. And, well, I might have to give Boys Next Door another try.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Meanwhile, the other key confrontation involves Kankuro, who's practically a third-string character. So when does Naruto actually get to be about Naruto?

Actually, I was hoping that there would've been more focus on Kankuro and Temari and was hoping that spoiler[they would've been the ones to rescue their little brother instead, this arc focused on Sakura and her new set of jutsus and the unrealistic transition that she just after three years has transformed from a weak cry baby to a powerhouse who was able to defeat a member of the akatsuki turned this arc into a yawn fest.] I wanted to see what Naruto had learned after three years of being under Jiraya's tutelage and wanted more screentime for the other characters.

After the cool Kakashi Gaiden, this is the part where the series started going downhill for me until I lost interest around chapter 340.

EDIT: spoiler fixed.

Last edited by Raven Shinobi on Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So when does Naruto actually get to be about Naruto?

More than anything, this has always been my biggest gripe about the whole series. I always felt like Naruto himself was never the main event. In the beginning, the focus was usually on Kakashi and Sasuke. Then later on Sasuke, with some of the others. The first time in the story where I have truly felt that Naruto is shown to be the hero of the is during his fight with Gaara. This is too late in the series to show him in this light. Then he goes back to being unimpressive/uninteresting until he fights Sasuke.

I agree on the Bleach review. Usually transition periods are snoozers, but here you're still getting revelations(though not as much as in 20 which is definitely the best so far) and the joy of the scenes with Ichigo and his friends. I can't wait for everything that's to come. If only Viz would start releasing it bimonthly again...just put 4-5 chapters a month in Jump like they do with Naruto.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
Bleach is one of those manga that I really, really need to get around to reading someday. It seems like the kind of shounen I actually like; cool characters, awesome fight scenes, and emotion that's not "RAAAGH! I'M USING MY SUPER SECRET NINJA DRAGON MOVE ON YOU!"

I gave up on Naruto after five volumes, though. For a manga called Naruto, there wasn't very much Naruto-ing going on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
everybody_loves_hypnotoad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:12 am Reply with quote
Um..your spoiler warning's kind of a moot point if you just spoil spoiler[Sakura defeating an Akatsuki member.]
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
I really like how you are giving readers a chance to review comics. Of course, I enjoy your writing too! I look forward to next week's column.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
RTO!! wrote:
So when does Naruto actually get to be about Naruto?

Quite honestly, I like the focus on other characters (because people seem to like them a lot better anyway Rolling Eyes), but Naruto is there just as much. I've never felt it was lacking of his character. It's plenty about Naruto, but I guess no one is with me in seeing it here.

It's just an opinion, but I'm surprised to see Bleach with a higher grade than Naruto. I gave it plenty of volumes, my time, and my money before giving up in disappointment and utter boredom. (Maybe you could try knocking it down a notch or two...? Wink )

Just kidding.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quote
I always thought Kishimoto made a big mistake when he titled his series "Naruto." From very early on it was clear he wanted it to be an ensamble series with a large cast, where the focus isn't always on the protagonist (kind of like Bleach, which you'll notice is not called "Ichigo.") If that's the case, why not give it a name reflecting that?

And it's only going to get worse from here on. Naruto gets ignored for chapter after chapter in later arcs. Heck, Kishimoto has even said that he's going to spend the next year or so focusing on Sasuke. I had kind of hoped that his departure at the end of part one was an attempt by the author to force himself to write about Naruto for a change by essentially making Sasuke a villain, but I was clearly wrong.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote
HAH! I knew it! Bleach IS better than Naruto!

OK, fan moment aside, the reviews were quite good, but I definitely will stay of Boy Next Door.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I always thought Kishimoto made a big mistake when he titled his series "Naruto."

But there's a good reason for that. Wink

Saki wrote:
HAH! I knew it! Bleach IS better than Naruto!

Ouch, I'm hurt. Btw, learn the difference between fact and opinion.
aluria

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
Yay for a mentioning of One Pound Gospel! I've seen the first 5 episodes and just love it! Didn't realize the manga was by Rumiko Takahashi although I did of her when I saw clips from the manga.

It's refreshing the hear people complain about Naruto for a change after all the "Naruto is the best!" and everything. I don't think I'll ever understand what people see in the show.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Boy's Next Door sounds interesting. I think I'll check it out.
Missa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I read Boys Next Door years ago about when I was 11... and I cried for a few days straight.

And I always felt Naruto should be Sasuke. He's the only reason the manga's going anywhere. Besides those clowns, the Akatsuki.
vincentthecon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Usually I try to avoid yaoi, I've tried a few things and it never really caught my attention but Boys Next Door sounds REALLY interesting, though it could just be my horror genre fetish coming out haha...but I will definitely check it out...

Your reviews have also reminded me how I have never read Bleach or Naruto which are two mangas I really need to read soon haha. Loved the column as always!
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Quite honestly, I like the focus on other characters (because people seem to like them a lot better anyway Rolling Eyes), but Naruto is there just as much. I've never felt it was lacking of his character. It's plenty about Naruto, but I guess no one is with me in seeing it here.

It's just an opinion, but I'm surprised to see Bleach with a higher grade than Naruto. I gave it plenty of volumes, my time, and my money before giving up in disappointment and utter boredom. (Maybe you could try knocking it down a notch or two...? Wink )

Just kidding.

Razz

Please to be remembering that these are individual volume-by-volume reviews. If it had been, say, Naruto Vol. 26, that'd probably be very near A- territory and would have kicked the ass of any random passers-by. I'm not passing judgement on either series as a whole, I'm just saying I liked Bleach's story arc switch better than Naruto's story arc switch.

And there ARE some things about Naruto's Other Characters that I do like ... the Sasuke/Itachi dynamic is very interesting IMO, and anything involving Rock Lee is awesome by default (although I hated spoiler[how they wished away the dramatic depth of his story arc with "oh, and btw he survived his surgery lawlz" and I'm like, "WHAT?! THAT WAS IT?"])
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2