• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Dub Track - Last Exile

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drakh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
by Christopher Macdonald

Shouldn't that be Ryan Matthews?

Quote:
They've quickly become the primary dubbing studio of Geneon/Pioneer.

...and Media Blasters and Bandai...

Quote:
It was that nobody could give me a reason why. I don't mean a good reason. I mean any reason.

According to Geneon producer Kevin Chu it will vary from title to title, depending on the dubbing studio, the producer supervising the production, and the licensing agreement (apparently certain Japanese companies don't want the dub actors credited properly).

Quote:
Apparently they don't care whether or not you follow their rules, as long as you pretend to.

Pretty much. And they're not that good at pretending either if you look closely enough at the credits... Steve Blum for example, is credited in episode 9 of Cowboy Bebop.

Quote:
With Animaze pretty much dormant, only Ocean was holding out, and even they list actors by character on the Inu-Yasha dub, so I figured there was hope they'd come around for their Bandai work as well.

Animaze is still working on anime... Kikaider, Big O II, Yukikaze, Ghost in the Shell, Wolf's Rain... Though I believe they've been working on a lot of video games lately. And with the exception of SD Gundam Force, all of Bandai's recent dubs have had the cast credited with character (and also been union).

Quote:
I've noticed that all Bang Zoom dubs list Eric Sherman as the director. I'm beginning to wonder if I should be crediting a second individual as well, perhaps the ADV Engineer. I find it hard to believe that Sherman is directing all these dubs himself. First off, how would he find the time?

Eric Sherman owns Bang Zoom, and gets most of their big titles, however BZ has several other directors... Kaeko Sakamoto, Tony Oliver, Wendee Lee, Lex Lang, Kirk Thornton, etc.

Quote:
Secondly, the dubs just seem too different in quality to be the work of the same man, especially this dub and Witch Hunter Robin.

You're assuming that all dubs receive the same degree of attention, which is most certainly not the case, especially for a busy studio like BZ. The amount of time and money assigned to a project will vary from distributor to distributor and title to title. Bandai for example, has a history of spending less on their dubs on average than Geneon.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote
drakh wrote:

Indeed it should.

Thanks.
packrat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:41 am Reply with quote
drakh wrote:
Quote:
by Christopher Macdonald

Actually it should be Ryan Mathews. One "T" He's generally pretty adamant on the correction of the Ts. I guess I will be too soon as we get married.

Quote:
Secondly, the dubs just seem too different in quality to be the work of the same man, especially this dub and Witch Hunter Robin.

You're assuming that all dubs receive the same degree of attention, which is most certainly not the case, especially for a busy studio like BZ. The amount of time and money assigned to a project will vary from distributor to distributor and title to title. Bandai for example, has a history of spending less on their dubs on average than Geneon.

Yes, but Witch Hunter Robin and Last Exile are both "flagship" titles for their companies this year. Each had huge banners at AX. Since Witch Hunter Robin is so important to Bandai, it's surprising they didn't spend more time and money on the dub.
drakh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:44 am Reply with quote
packrat wrote:
Actually it should be Ryan Mathews. One "T" He's generally pretty adamant on the correction of the Ts. I guess I will be too soon as we get married.

Sorry about that. ^_^'

Quote:
Yes, but Witch Hunter Robin and Last Exile are both "flagship" titles for their companies this year. Each had huge banners at AX. Since Witch Hunter Robin is so important to Bandai, it's surprising they didn't spend more time and money on the dub.

Robin sounds about the same as what I've heard of BZ's other dubs for Bandai, and recent ones for Media Blasters, so I would guess they just asked for "standard" dubs. BZ's average seems to have been slipping though... I thought they were better during 2001 to the first half of 2002, when they weren't doing so many titles at a time. That might have something to do with the type of titles I watched though... Mostly movies/OVAs, which typically get more relaxed production schedules compared to series.

Back to Last Exile, I'm told Mullin is played by Dave Lelyveld and Al by Michelle Ruff. There should be a full entry up on Crystalacids.com soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1