• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aquarion DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The characters and weak plotting may not be able to carry the series on their own, but the visuals certain can. With this production Satelight has taken the ground-breaking combining-mecha CG work done by Gonzo in 2000's Vandread and, by applying techniques developed during their production of Noein, elevated it to the next level.

I'll just like to point out that Aquarion was the Spring 2005 Satelight title while Noein was the Fall 2005 Satelight title. So Aquarion was developed before Noein, what an incredible year by Satelight..

Also if you ever get the chance to write a review for Macross Frontier I wonder what praise you would give it after what you said about Aquarion. Since Frontier does to Aquarion what Aquarion does to Vandread... I exaggerate (slightly!) but you get the idea. Of course the regular animation is the main improvement from Aquarion to Frontier but the improvement in CGI is still massive.

Quote:
Opener “Sousei no Aquarion” by AKINO is a pedestrian anime theme that comes out slightly above average in execution,

How can you say that about the best anime opening theme this decade!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm very tempted to pick up this title, with the involvement of Shoji Kawamori and Yoko Kanno. I'm not a fan of obnoxiously obvious 3-D CGI in mecha titles, but I'd be willing to handwave it for the sake of those two big talents, at least for a few episodes to see if it engages me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
I'll just like to point out that Aquarion was the Spring 2005 Satelight title while Noein was the Fall 2005 Satelight title. So Aquarion was developed before Noein, what an incredible year by Satelight.

Damn, I'm having a bad week on double-checking facts. I've edited the review to account for this.

Quote:
Also if you ever get the chance to write a review for Macross Frontier I wonder what praise you would give it after what you said about Aquarion. Since Frontier does to Aquarion what Aquarion does to Vandread... I exaggerate (slightly!) but you get the idea. Of course the regular animation is the main improvement from Aquarion to Frontier but the improvement in CGI is still massive.

I have seen most of the Macross titles, so this is one of the highest-priority titles of the upcoming season for me. Either me or someone else on staff will definitely be reviewing its first couple of episodes.

Quote:
How can you say that about the best anime opening theme this decade!

I dearly hope you're joking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Nope far from it, the only 2 OP songs I put on par with it from this decade are Noein and RahXephons. I'm not alone on this since it was the #1 downloaded song (song period, not just anime) for the Japanese Itunes as well as being voted the #1 song of this decade on 2ch multiple times as well as #2 overall behind Evas CAT.

In the Aquarion thread from 2005 on AnimeOnDVD (which is delted I believe) I think I say for the first 6 episodes that the only reason I'm still watching is the opening song.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
That just floors me, because it doesn't seem like that special a song. (Of course, it's been a while since I've been in tune with pop music of any type.)

Heck, I'd readily take Spice and Wolf's opening theme over that one, or any of at least a dozen other series from the past year alone that I could name off the top of my head. But to each his own, I guess; I am a big fan of Black Lagoon's "Red Fraction," after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Closer “Omni Magni” by Yui Makino, with its music box sound and wind-up effects, offers a very different song which may grow on viewers. Curiously and disappointingly, it is not subtitled in any setting, nor does it use Funimation's normal practice of having the Japanese credits roll when the Japanese dub is on.
That is disappointing that it's not subtitled...I mean, Funimation's disappointed me in the past with lack of subtitling for onscreen text, but I've never known them to go the Viz route and not subtitle a song. Looks like I've got cause to grab at least one episode of the fansubs to supplement the DVDs. That doesn't mean I won't get the DVDs, because I probably will; it's good to hear that things do settle down and get serious later on, and I can see myself liking Aquarion if they manage to stay consistent in that department. Some series just lose quality by not knowing what they want to be, such as the just-finished-by-me Eden's Bowy, which had trouble deciding if it wanted to be a silly or serious fantasy series.

But from the first episode of Aquarion that was recently streamed, it seemed entertaining enough. The junior-high boy inside me (who am I kidding, he never went away) can't help but be amused by the cheesy sexual innuendo in this show (and in others like Yumeria and Amaenaideyo), and I'm hoping there's enough epic-mecha-goodness on the Eva/RX/Fafner level to make it worthwhile in the end.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
This series intrigued me when I first heard of it and I love Funi's approach to the series. It's a shame though that I can't support such an innovative approach as everything I've read, and the streamed first episode, have all but convinced me that it would not be worth my while to pick it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the first half of Aquarion struggles partly because it tries to take itself seriously in places where it shouldn't, turning what could have been a quite fun exploitation of classic mecha ridiculousness and cheesiness into a pretentious mess of a series.

What's the problem with a mech show trying to be true to its roots, Why it always has to play the "exploitaition" card. The past glory of the genre like Mazinger Z and Getter Robo still bubble on Japanese fans hearts, too bad R1 and some reviewers don't show the respect the genre deserves as this genre was the Anime Gospel in the 70's and 80's for most of the planet.

This series boils down to an amalgamation of a Mind F*ck mech show like Rahxephon or Evangelion with the mechanics of Getter Robo, The early execution is a bit iffy but it gets better.

And About the orgasm thing, Super Robot shows have always emphasize the synergy between man and machine, the ultimate expression of Hot blooded heroism and passion.. and if the Big O is the ultimate expression of passion, I don't see the problem Wink

And Yes I'm a Rabid, Militant Mecha Fan! (specially of the classics), and Totally Proud of it!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm very tempted to pick up this title, with the involvement of Shoji Kawamori and Yoko Kanno. I'm not a fan of obnoxiously obvious 3-D CGI in mecha titles, but I'd be willing to handwave it for the sake of those two big talents, at least for a few episodes to see if it engages me.

Whatever your decision about the series itself may be, definitely invest in the soundtracks. The second OST in particular is amazing. I'm a complete Kanno fangirl anyway, but the Aquarion OSTs are definitely some of my favorite work. I vastly prefer the 2nd OP "Go Tight!" to the ho-hum (I'm obviously with Key on this one) "Sousei no Aquarion." I love "Omna Magni," though.

I don't think I'll be picking this series up, as much as I love Yoko Kanno and studio Satelight (Arjuna! Noein! Spring and Chaos! <3 <3 <3) since Mech isn't really my cup of tea. My last blind purchase of a mecha series based on a Yoko Kanno soundtrack was Brain Powered. *shudder* I won't be making that mistake again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode on IGN. I wasn't particularly impressed with the music in that episode, but it's good to hear that Yoko Kanno doesn't disappoint with this series.

IF the first episode is any indication then I agree with just about everything Key said. But I wouldn't mind seeing more.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Some fans have long clamored for just such an approach, so it will be interesting indeed to see if this experiment proves to be the wave of the future or just an aberration.

What concerns me is that FUNimation is going to decide on whether or not to continue this approach based on how well Aquarion sells. Is the price of the series going to be enough to overcome its bad points? Despite its price, I've no interest in the series beyond Yokko Kanno doing the music and I can just buy the soundtracks for that.

Key: I've listened to "Sousei no Aquarion" and I agree it's not that special. Your mentioning of "Red Fraction" made me go and listen to it for nth time. Now that is an awesome song.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
What's the problem with a mech show trying to be true to its roots, Why it always has to play the "exploitaition" card. The past glory of the genre like Mazinger Z and Getter Robo still bubble on Japanese fans hearts, too bad R1 and some reviewers don't show the respect the genre deserves as this genre was the Anime Gospel in the 70's and 80's for most of the planet.

You're not only missing the point and engaging in hyperbole (sentai series were every bit as prominent as classic mecha in the '70s) but apparently thinking I'm using "exploitation" here in a purely negative sense, which I'm not.

I am not going to get into a debate here on the merits of "old-school" mecha action. It's (usually) not my cup of tea, but I do acknowledge that it can, if done right, be very entertaining. In this case here, I think (as I more or less state in the review) that the series would have been better if it had stayed truer to its old-school roots, and just played for cheesy goodness, rather than throwing in all this other crap. Mecha series that can successfully be old-school while also having modern storytelling and characterization sensibilities are few and far between, and this isn't one of them. Look at both Gunbuster OVAs if you want examples of successes in that realm, but this series is definitely not on that level - at least so far, anyway.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it's almost like I wrote this review myself (albeit I'm not as great of a writer as Theron). I agree with pretty much everything that was said (even the opening theme, which I think is one of Kanno's weaker OP compositions). This series would have worked much, much better if it were a flat-out parody or were at least just going for fun and nothing else. All the other stuff drags the whole series down quite a bit. A darn shame, since the production values are excellent.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Vicserr wrote:

You're not only missing the point and engaging in hyperbole (sentai series were every bit as prominent as classic mecha in the '70s) but apparently thinking I'm using "exploitation" here in a purely negative sense, which I'm not.

Having an steady diet of Giant Robot shows and wrestling will give anybody a master's degree in hyperbole Wink

Quote:
I am not going to get into a debate here on the merits of "old-school" mecha action. It's (usually) not my cup of tea, but I do acknowledge that it can, if done right, be very entertaining. In this case here, I think (as I more or less state in the review) that the series would have been better if it had stayed truer to its old-school roots, and just played for cheesy goodness, rather than throwing in all this other crap. Mecha series that can successfully be old-school while also having modern storytelling and characterization sensibilities are few and far between, and this isn't one of them. Look at both Gunbuster OVAs if you want examples of successes in that realm, but this series is definitely not on that level - at least so far, anyway.

For me Old School Mecha Action is my cup of tea, coffee, chocolate and cola and I grow sick and tired of people saying that for a mech show to be a success it has to trample and parody the 30 plus years of action/adventure tradition that people like Go Nagai and Tadao Nagahama have crafted. like Evangelion did 10+ years ago.

I wouldn't call Gunbuster 2 a success having Old School sensibilities, it's ok but it doesn't rise above the ankles of the original Gunbuster. You want a show that covers all those bases, you should Watch Kotetsu Shin Jeeg, and I'm hoping an R1 company picks it up
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
The biggest complaint I have, after starting to watch Aquarion, is that when watching previews I was surprised at the lack of seriousness. I mean from everything I saw leading up to it heralded this show as a very serious mecha show. Serious as in along the lines of shows like Rahxephon. I was not expecting any real comedy or lighter tones often. I don't think they promoted the show's content properly basically. So far I have to say it is indeed visually appealing. However, it is a bit weak in terms of plot. I feel as if I've seen this all before countless times in some form or another. I hope the rest of the episodes turn out a bit better plot wise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2