• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director: Warner's Death Note Is Still in the Works

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, Black added that the project was in jeopardy because the studio initially wanted to lose "the demon [Ryuk]. [They] don't want the kid to be evil…. They just kept qualifying it until it ceased to exist."

Black said that "the creation of a villain, the downward spiral" of the main character Light has been restored in the script, and added that this is what the film should be about.

*facepalm.jpg*

........So, anyone see the World Series?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
Then I guess that leaked script was the real deal.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
Just...what....

You can't get rid of Ryuk. You just can't. Where do these people expect the Death Note to even come from?! and what about the other Death Gods..?

Also, they don't "want" Light to be evil..?

Why on earth would they want to portray him as an orthodox hero? Are they ticked off at the idea of capital punishment being portrayed in a negative light? (no pun intended v_v)

Whether you were on Light's side or not, a major part of his appeal (and maybe even the entire series in general) is that there were no clear-cut good guys vs bad guys. It tried to make it seem that way most of the time, but...I don't think that was the point;;;
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
Jeez, why is it so bloody hard to adapt something? You don't have to re-invent the wheel here. Just use the Manga, Anime and live-action movies to help with your basic storyboard and script, cut the story down for length, get some actors who can actually - gasp - act, do them up in makeup and costumes, put them on a set and let them loose. The sets themselves are easy, since apart from the Shinigami world there isn't anything complicated for the props department to do. The Shinigami are a bit harder, but motion-capture CGI technology has been around for over a decade now, it is completely workable.

All in all, Death Note is a great story that has already proven it has appeal amongst Western audiences, so trying to change the script too much is counter-productive. Yes, change the city from Tokyo to somewhere in the States, fine, and change some character names if you have to. But stop stalling, get your A into G and actually make the darn thing. As I said before, you don't have to re-invent the wheel. All of that farting around and we're only back to where we were at the start.

Sigh.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
Oh... just... wow. Talk about putting a would-be-guaranteed Hollywood adaptation super-failure in such few words. Man, it's so fortunate that the director has some damn sense and plans to keep at least some of the things that made Death Note so unique: the fallen-and-never-redeemed protagonist and truly horrific looking death gods. (well, okay, they may not make it "death gods" in the adaptation, but hey, a demon is better than nothing!)

Hopefully things won't change from what's been corrected. Because these are such intrinsic plot elements that shouldn't have ever been considered changing.

@Sunday Silence: Yes, I *did* see the World Series! At least the most exciting parts. Very Happy Loyal Saint Louisan all the way, good sir!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
Any confirmation on casting and settings?

Even though there is little to no information on this atm, I don't have much faith in this anyways, people who work on live-action adaptations are always idiots who don't know a thing about the work they adapt.

Plus...an adaptation of Death Note is pointless to begin with, since one already exists! One where the actors look just like the characters!

Last edited by Gon*Gon on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
If they made changes like that, that would be stupid. But it does seem that its the studio that wants the changes and it does look like some people are resisting the changes, so thats a good sign.

And people, pay attention to what the article said:

Quote:
Black said that "the creation of a villain, the downward spiral" of the main character Light has been restored in the script, and added that this is what the film should be about.

Going by this, it means they are making light evil and insane still

Quote:
Plus...an adaptation of Death Note is pointless to begin with, since one already exists! One where the actors look just like the characters!

Those movies weren't any good either, I dont see how that really helps your case
Thunderbird-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
No, wait. That could work. You just shoot it from L's perspective. spoiler[And the movie would end when he dies.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sporkaganza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
This actually has got me feeling pretty hopeful. The director actually caring enough about the material to fight for it is a good sign.

By the way, did anyone else notice that apparently this is also the guy who's slated to direct Iron Man 3?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote
Thunderbird: They already did it when it was called L Change the World.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:06 am Reply with quote
Sporkaganza wrote:
By the way, did anyone else notice that apparently this is also the guy who's slated to direct Iron Man 3?

Home-grown titles like Iron Man always get more privilege over anime/manga though =_= I mean I know super hero movies can and have been pretty awful, but if you look at some of the stuff in recent years...

actually, that's the only good in any of this. No matter how bad Death Note or Akira turn out, they'll probably have better versions in the future- remakes that're more faithful to the originals. (hopefully)
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:22 am Reply with quote
Thunderbird- wrote:
No, wait. That could work. You just shoot it from L's perspective. spoiler[And the movie would end when he dies.]

Sure, that's how the Japanese movies spoiler[handled the ending.]

I could also be fine with them dropping Ryuk. Even though I expect better VFX this time around, something tells me it will still be laughably bad, just in a different way. Ryuk is simply too stylish for movies. There's also my concern that if he's in, you just know some exec will try to work a devil's bargin where he gets turned into a mascot, one way or another.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
J. Edgar (Hoover) is coming out next week, directed by Clint Eastwood. If there ever was a story about a man revered going into a downward spiral............... Shows they can do it; they should have no problem with this. Laughing

bglassbrook wrote:
Ryuk is simply too stylish for movies. There's also my concern that if he's in, you just know some exec will try to work a devil's bargin where he gets turned into a mascot, one way or another.

Done and done. Laughing

Sunday Silence wrote:

........So, anyone see the World Series?

Epic Game 6 Ending! (The whole game itself has too many mistakes to be epic.) Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:42 am; edited 2 times in total
keikanna44

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote
That's good. If they took out Ryuk they would have lost the entire fanbase. Nobody wants to see a goody goody Light and the whole point of the series was his downward spiral to evil. What the hell did they think it was about?

This goes to show you that most Americans adapting anime into movies don't know a thing about them which is why they usually suck.

I hope they get it together because if they ruin Death Note it's all over.
karvelot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
Oh boy. Something tells me the US Death Note movie is going the way of Dragonball Evolution. Honestly, why am I not surprised? Anime and Manga based movies in the US are staring to mirror those of video game based movies; Mediocre at best and something like this at the worst.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6