• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Midori Days

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
I've only ever watched the anime series, but I loved the hell out of it. One of those shows I checked out simply because of its bizarre premise, but it wound up charming my pants off and is now one of my favorites. Who'da thunk?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
I've also only seen the anime, which was charming and hilarious. It also sounds like it cut some stuff (I don't recall the "fall asleep so he can masturbate" sequence) and ended before a lot of these characters are introduced (the mad scientist, the exchange student, the gay crush), though the ending remains the same.

What I remember most of all is Ayase's cliche-ridden mental scenarios of how she and Seiji will totally wind up together, only to have her poor hopes dashed. They are hilarious. As is the otaku guy. I dunno, it was funny as heck. Raunchy, but surprisingly sweet. It's one of the few shounen romcoms I haven't hated.

But again, that's the anime. I guess the manga is a smidge different...?
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
This was really fun to read. Great writing! Anime smile
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the Midori Days anime, but I have never read the manga. I hope it gets released again some day so I can properly read it, or if Viz would put it up on their site for digital reading.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to say I'm one of the rare fans who has seen the anime of this AND read the manga. Razz

Both are really great and deserve way more love than they get. The bizarre premise runs some people off that I think would really love this title. I mean, let's face it...it sounds like the premise for a really awkward hentai, but I was happy that the anime always took the highest road possible on it's jokes, even when the scene was sooooo set for something of Girls Bravo proportions. The manga if I recall doesn't take the high road quite as much, but still doesn't go hog wild with it.

I really wish it had gotten a 26 episode adaption instead of 13 so we could have gotten more of the manga-only characters in there, like the crazy American girl.

And on a somewhat unrelated topic, I really wish the author's second manga, Ai Kora, would get adapted into an anime and both it and the manga would work it's way over here too, because I love that one a lot as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
Midori Days was the first and only thing I ever read scanlations for, and despite the hentai premise, was a totally funny read. I only read the first three volumes, but it was enough to spur me on to buy the whole out of print release a couple of months ago, which sits somewhere in my house. But with this column, its firing me up to go on a manga hunt.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Midori Days! I'm so happy not only see this series get talked about, but to see if get so much love! I've tried really hard to get friends into it, but that hentai-esque concept is a huge hurdle. I hope this column will encourage a whole new slew of fans!

Thanks for writing this, Jason, it was a blast to read!
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
My situation was similiar to FaytLein's, although in my case, my interest was spurred on more by the anime than by the little bit of scanlations I found for this series. I've got around half of it, including the strangely hard to find volumes 2 and 3 (thank goodness for half.com). It's a romantic comedy that actually balances both halves well, never going too far into vulgarity but neither does it drown in syrupy shoujo excess, and that's a rare thing to find in any media on either side of the Pacific.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I've also only seen the anime, which was charming and hilarious. It also sounds like it cut some stuff (I don't recall the "fall asleep so he can masturbate" sequence) and ended before a lot of these characters are introduced (the mad scientist, the exchange student, the gay crush), though the ending remains the same.

The mad scientist w/ lolita and the exchange student didn't appear in the anime, but the gay crush did. He's the kid that spoiler[had a crush on Midori, but then after Seiji rescues him from some street punks, he starts to be infatuated with him]

I'm glad that the manga got released, and I'm even more glad that I snapped it up when I did. It wound up being a lot better than I had anticipated it being, even though things could get a little cluttered at times. I had watched the anime before reading the manga, so I knew what to expect, but the manga just brings so much more to it that there's no contest which I prefer.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I did read a little bit of "Midori Days" when it was out. That was definitely one of the strangest manga I've ever read. A boy who ends up with a girl on his right hand. That's pretty darn weird if I do say so myself. I'm afraid I've never seen the anime so I can't really say how I felt about it.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Now I have to reread it and rewatch it.
It is one of those "No, seriously, it's better than it sounds, honest!" guilty pleasures.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
A Thompson-Garrity Platonic dialogue on Midori Days? RAWK.

Quote:
Yeah, the author has that problem where he keeps introducing new characters when the story slows down, so by the end there's too many characters.

Takahashi syndrome?

Quote:
Well, of course he has a breast fetish. It's not a manga about a guy with a girl's lower body growing out of his arm.

Not that Midori has much up there anyway. (Weren't there a couple of gags to that effect?)
TheTheory

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:

It is one of those "No, seriously, it's better than it sounds, honest!" guilty pleasures.

Seriously. It's one of those premises that even *I* think sounds remarkably shady--but the series (anime, anyway) is quite well done and endearing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Have the anime. Have all eight books. Even kept up on the author's later works, including that parts fetish one.

This author's entire library is made up of guilty pleasure.
loka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
A series that was worth reading/buying even after seeing the anime. Lots of humorous scenes not animated.

Also, I think Ai Kora is crap. He has redeemed himself with Ane Comi. Will be buying Ane Comi for my shelves if it is released here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2