• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Isao Takahata in LA

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! I hate seeing anime at UCLA. And it's free? I'm so there! Thanks a lot.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:59 am Reply with quote
Incidentally, that's only half of the story. Friday is the film showings and the Takahata Q&A, but then it goes into a Saturday program that includes a longer keynote address by Takahata, presentations by another Studio Ghibli senior executive and Dr. Anne Allison (Duke U.), a workshop on teaching Japanese culture through anime, the standard reception, and a screening of Only Yesterday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rektagunn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I saw his interview in the Grave of the Fireflies, Collector's Edition. His sincere demeanor in that interview certainly justified his ability to direct such a great movie. I especially liked his account of his conversations with Miyazaki-san regarding this film. There's no doubt that the event in L.A. is a must-see for any anime fan. I only wish I could make it there in time.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I dunno. That interview bothered me. I mean the situation was a Catch 22, where, if Seita did stay with his aunt, he might've been firebombed anyway, and yet Takahata said he should've apologized.
rektagunn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:10 am Reply with quote
I would consider that to be one of the controversial issues in the film spoiler[(i.e. whether Seita should have left his aunt's house). ]

Now, one question I would ask is whether Akiyuki Nosaka shared the same views as Takahata-san regarding that proposed apology. It took me some time to deal with this specific issue. In the end, I concluded that the film took a realistic (not necessarily a practical / utlitarianistic) view of Seita's situation spoiler[ when he left his aunt's house ]. Seita was still a child after all. In this way, an apology (or lack thereof) would not have diluted the realism of the film.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:14 am Reply with quote
Man, I've been to SoCal twice in the last month, and I don't particularly want to drive all the way down there again. Still, it would be sooo cool. I quess I'm still undecided. Confused
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:47 am Reply with quote
So far, I've seen Miyazaki and the staff of the Cat Returns, so I'm doing it for the "completist" factor. It's a shame Kondo couldn't be alive to see his American fans though. RSVP for Saturday's already sold out, btw. Gonna be fairly crowded...
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I dunno. That interview bothered me. I mean the situation was a Catch 22, where, if Seita did stay with his aunt, he might've been firebombed anyway, and yet Takahata said he should've apologized.

Japanese social mores dictate that he should have apologized. You're applying Western value structures to it
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:04 am Reply with quote
So yeah, I kind of felt sorry for Takahata, cus Miyazaki got to host at one of the best theaters in Hollywood, and Takahata got stuck at a second rate locale. It's not what I'd label as "ghetto", but it's definitely a little run down. (Though ironically, the bathrooms were cleaner and better-stocked than most publics places with newer renovations.) But Takahata seemed pleased to be there in general, so that's all that mattered.

Anyway, the print of Grave of the Fireflies was the one before CPM actually updated their subs, so there were grammatical errors a plenty. With Yamadas, instead of putting the subs half in the lower bottom of the screen, half in the black bar, they put all of the subs in the black bar, and so they had to scroll the frame up, cutting the top in the process, so you could read. Pon Poko was fine though.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:34 pm Reply with quote
So anyway, the USC screening room was smaller, but the print
for Only Yesterday and the translation was an improvement over those of the last two films. It was kind of weird leaving the building and seeing Takahata just shooting the breeze and smoking.(He had an interview for the college that day.) I guess it's just me being too star-struck to think of them as ordinary tourists and not celebrities, cus I remember feeling surprised when I saw Kon walking down the street to BAAF, called him, and he just shook my hand. (Or maybe I'm just more used to
most Hollywood stars being too spoiled and stuck-up to acknowledge their fans. Although Kevin Smith's been one of the few exceptions.) I also appreciated the fact that on the first day, Takahata took the time to sign promotional materials related to the event. Almost makes me wish I'd brought my copy of Panda Go Panda, but shaking his hand was cool too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1