• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
iTunes with J-pop/Anime OST's?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:34 pm Reply with quote
No. It's not official, or even really a current topic. But Apple has had talks with expanding into the Japanese market and such. Such an expansion could open up the possibility on many import tracks and forign artists showing up on the iTunes Store.

They already have some import soundtracks (well, they got a Japanese Motown album import), some Japanese artists local albums (Shonen Knife), some anime osts (Well, they got Ninja Scroll), and many professional japanese symphonic orchestra albums. So I ask, do you think Apple is going to expand their libary to j-pop and such anytime soon? If so, would you support it?

Yes is my answer. It's not exactly the same as getting a physical album imported, but it's close, legal, and supports the artist if they're not already dead. =P

I think it'd be pretty benificial as well, profit wise.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
phoelixian

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd use the iTunes music store. . . if only it were available in Canada. Confused
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:06 am Reply with quote
Even if I-Tunes opens in Japan, they will block non-Japanese billing addresses from buying songs because they're only licensed to sell to Japan
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Even if I-Tunes opens in Japan, they will block non-Japanese billing addresses from buying songs because they're only licensed to sell to Japan

I think that would greatly lower any potential profits Apple could get. Don't forget, that import albums, while licensed to one country, are completely legal to distribute in another country (Such as the "import" MoTown Japan album, which I bought a few songs from =P). Doing such actions would only unneedingly limit profits from the store. After all, Apple does have an international market, and I can tell a lot of Japanese people are itching to get a hold on a lot of U.S. artist albums.

Apple distribtes most of their software with multi reigon/language functions. Hense, you can buy one software, and get the benifits of all the international support functions, unlike certain Nazi's who force you to buy mulitple versions of the same software just to change languages (cough, mic-ros-o-ft).

But even ol MS allows you to use the japanese version of their media page on WMP.

I'd look very much foward to this. =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:52 am Reply with quote
On another sidenote, Yoko Ono has music on the store now. I think that at least says something. Very Happy

Hopefully ^^;
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:58 am Reply with quote
I think that would most likely happen. The J-pop consipracy could overrule american music.....THAT WOULD BE SO COOL. muahahahahha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
king_micah

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:

I think that would greatly lower any potential profits Apple could get. Don't forget, that import albums, while licensed to one country, are completely legal to distribute in another country (Such as the "import" MoTown Japan album, which I bought a few songs from =P). Doing such actions would only unneedingly limit profits from the store. After all, Apple does have an international market, and I can tell a lot of Japanese people are itching to get a hold on a lot of U.S. artist albums.

Doesn't matter what apple wants. There are rules from the recording companies because they still psycho about piracy. That's why it has taken so long to get access to itunes for non-americans. Apple wants to expand, but industry goons won't let them go where they don't have strict DRM rules.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

You buy the rights to distribute to a certain region. While it's certainly legal to send legit product outside the region, the distributor CAN'T KNOWINGLY SELL IT to those outside the region. That's why AnimEigo was saying with the Macross set (paraphrase) "If your buddy in Georgia is getting it for you, the guy from England DON'T TELL US, because we can't know anything about it!"
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I think this would be a good idea, though I like the idea of iTunes problem is that there's too much red tape and blind spots, which all goes back to the music industry fat cats.

As anime and manga grow maybe something will happen. Problem is Kazaa has more anime tunes last time I checked.

One thing I'd like to see is U.S tv keeping anime themes for series intact shown on tv, with subs. I think anime is an education about a different culture, by keeping certain parts intact you are spreading the word. I'm sure that if it were a french or spanish anime show subtitles would be used.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1