• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Award for Innocence at Cannes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:36 am Reply with quote
I'm a Michael Moore fan, but you're opening up a can of worms by mentioning him. But even I don't think he deserved to win for stating the obvious. Anyway, to make this thread more apolitical, just be happy it wasn't Shrek 2 which won.
jfrog

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:51 am Reply with quote
Or The Ladykillers. What the hell happened to the Coen Brothers?

Last edited by jfrog on Sun May 23, 2004 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
n2dad4ever

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:09 am Reply with quote
"Oldboy" won the GRAND PRIX?? THAT'S AWESOME!!!!! The news itself just made my day!!! "Oldboy" happens to be my top favorite Korean movie ever! Yay~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Proman

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
But even I don't think he deserved to win for stating the obvious.

Unfortunately, it's not obvious to everyone. I'm very happy that he won actually.
I really hope that 2046 will be released in US soon.
Berserker77

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm not suprised that Innocence didn't win, but I'm curious as to how it was received by the lame film 'leet.
sacchan

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:44 pm Reply with quote
It's not anime, but a Japanese boy won best actor. That came as a surprise.

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20040523p2a00m0dm005003c.html
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:30 am Reply with quote
The BBC did a Cannes review last Friday night, (21/May/04)The group of critics from various media genre said that Moore's docu-movie was a bit of a let down. when comparied to "Bowling for Columbine" in their opinion. One panelist who stated that though she liked what he was trying to say, he seemed to get off topic too often on running tangents with little cohesion. They also mentioned GiTS2, Innocence, but the presenter just called it "Oshii's latest movie called Innocence" with a short trailer. That segment seemed to me a bit of what I would call "techno-art-deco", similar to "Metropolis" but more colourful.
As for "The Ladykillers" I perfer the Ealing Studio's original with Sir Alec Guinness. I work just around the corner from the old Ealing Studio's.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:56 am Reply with quote
I don't care what Quentin said. This was politics, plain and simple...

Of course, that's another matter entirely...
Proman

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I don't care what Quentin said. This was politics, plain and simple...

Only a vey ignorant person would say something like that about a movie he haven't actually seen.
eva05

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:

Only a vey ignorant person would say something like that about a movie he haven't actually seen.

Well based on his previous "documentary" "Bowling for Columbine", I think one can make certain deductions about Michael Moore. I've also read a few of his books. There are really only two camps when it comes to this fellow. He's a brave artist uncovering the truth or he's a propaganda artist selling his version of truth as the truth.

Granted I haven't seen F9/11 but I think it's safe to say if his movie exposed, in detail, how the French employed former SS troops as mercenaries, sent them to Indochina while they were still occupying the nation and had them carry out acts, similar to those performed in Russia during WW2, it wouldn't be getting a 20 minute standing ovation. But that's just my 2 cents.

Clearly people have their own opinions but after reading several of his books I don't think things are as black and white as MM portrays them. Now maybe he has been born again after all the flak he got for distorting the facts/truth with his last film but somehow I don't think that's good business for him.

BTW I'm very interested in 2046 as well Anime smile

j
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I think Mr. Moore is very brave for making this controversial doccumentary (Another one.) I'm sure "Dubya" isn't happy with this flick. Wink It's nice to hear of an Anime getting recognition from a prestigous film festival. Can't wait to see innocence.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:04 pm Reply with quote
eva: How about the fact that we hired former Nazi war criminals to help us build rockets to compete with the Soviets? Or if we're going to talk Vietnam atrocities, nothing says it better than the Mai Lai Massacre and Agent Orange. P.S. The French got financial support from us to suppress the Vietnamese, because we equated democracy with communism.
jfrog

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:36 pm Reply with quote
eva05 wrote:
Well based on his previous "documentary" "Bowling for Columbine", I think one can make certain deductions about Michael Moore. I've also read a few of his books. There are really only two camps when it comes to this fellow. He's a brave artist uncovering the truth or he's a propaganda artist selling his version of truth as the truth.

A little bit of both. His first film (Roger and Me) was quite good. But since then, the more of a celebrity he becomes the less he cares about the truth. He can still be quite funny, but I stopped believing the things he had to say a long time ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Proman

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:27 am Reply with quote
Yes, but do you believe the things other people say in his movies (people like Charlton Heston)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2