• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free Comic Book Day on July 3rd

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manafairy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know what stores are supposed to be participating? I mean is it only comic book stores or is there a chance that Borders or Barnes and Noble may be participating? The only comic store I know of around me only sells vintage american comics so otherwise, I won't get to take part in it Sad
Naruto Uzumaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Thats Cool and on my Birthday to bad i wont be able to get any tho cus i dont know where it is either Crying or Very sad but its still cool

Hey, I barely post here isnt that awesome Wink
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:23 pm Reply with quote
manafairy wrote:
Does anyone know what stores are supposed to be participating? I mean is it only comic book stores or is there a chance that Borders or Barnes and Noble may be participating? The only comic store I know of around me only sells vintage american comics so otherwise, I won't get to take part in it Sad

Try here if I remember correctly they have an area on there where you can see who, if anyone, is participating in your area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I know our library is participating in free comic book day. The local comic shop brings stuff over for us to hand out.
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:18 pm Reply with quote
http://www.freecomicbookday.com/fcbd_locator.asp

Go to the link and put in your zipcode and it will point out the closest store
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:51 pm Reply with quote
All may not be lost if you can't make that day. *Some* stores will keep giving them away until they're all gone. Since the books will sometimes have "Free Comic Book Day" printed right on them, the dealers can't do too much more with them than give them out.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maccers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:09 pm Reply with quote
"Free comic book day" not "Free manga day", just a thought....
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:18 pm Reply with quote
There will be free manga there though, I know for sure there will be a Del Ray sampler available and several "Ameri-manga" titles, including a Keenspot sampler.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:36 pm Reply with quote
And just like last time, Newbury Comics are not participating. Unfortunately, we didn't know any other shops within walking distance and went to the one on Newbury Street in Boston where they couldn't care less about us. Not that Newbury Comics should ever be considered a comic store. If it's all you got, then fine, but that day proved that they should not be your place for comics.

Thankfully we have since found there is a fantastic store down the street a few blocks called Comicopia and they are definatley participating. After we see Spider-man this year we are certainly going there. Anyone in Boston, I encourage you to do the same. Though I see there are some New England Comics more toward Brookline, and those are good stores too, the one closest to us is Comicopia and it's a damn fine shop.

Oh and I must pimp out my local store, Jerry's Comics & Collectables 296 Cabot St Beverly, Ma. It's a small shop and maybe not the best oragnized, but Jerry is a great guy and has "the greatest little comic shop on the north shore".

As for Borders or Barnes and Noble, I can tell you right now they are not. They aren't even listed on the comic shop locator. They do not sell comic books, they only sell the collections and simply are a completely different distribution circuit.

-Xenos
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:37 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
I know our library is participating in free comic book day. The local comic shop brings stuff over for us to hand out.

That is simply awesome.

-Xenos
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:14 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
And just like last time, Newbury Comics are not participating.

I've never figured out where they got the name Newbury COMICS from, comics are such a small part of the store. It's more like Newbury CDs, they take up a huge part of the store and the comic rack is only about 7'x6'. Or atleast, that's how the one here is...

Emerje
animaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:40 pm Reply with quote
hastings entertainment superstores are participating I missed em the last few years but I won't this time!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KawaiiKitty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I don't care as much for the comics (since I will be buying the 2nd volume of xxxholic anyways^^), it's the whole event thats fun! It's a great way for newcomers to pick up manga/comics. At my local comic store, there's a big poster on the window and loads of boxes full of free comics inside already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Manga
flicker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I want to thank ex_mutants for posting that link. I would have had no bloody idea as to where to go if I hadn't seen it. Thank goodness for no longer living in a small town and having to drive two and a half hours to get to a decent comic store!

Anime smile
pandorina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Anime hyper It's About Freaking Time Exclamation ...

I have waited 10 years for this moment. I thought It would come last year but I was mistaken. But I am excited. At long last Manga is available Free For All. Even if it is only samplers, it will spread the love of manga around into those that might not normally try it. I am sooooo happy.

Anime smallmouth VIZ natually chose not to participate (I just find them to be a bit stingy anyway)

Del Rey and Tokyopop (and any other manga and comic book publishers who are participating) I solute you! Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2