• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fruits Basket Gets Stage Play — by All-Male Troupe

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:28 am Reply with quote
Although I'm somebody who doesn't like Furuba I'm going to be keeping an eye on this- it could well be that the results will be amusing for reasons unintended by those making this adaption.
If they want to avoid actors dressed as animals from being the order of the day they'll have to be pretty good with animatronics and such.
A male actor playing Tohru will be interesting though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote
Wow~

This may be crazy of me to even think of but it would be so great to see the Takarazuka Kagekidan do an adaptation of Furuba. *_* Well, even if it's never going to happen I would love to see Miki Maya come out of retirement to play Hatori. Anime cry
Aikoh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
They must have been getting advice from the Prince of Tennis musicals. Very Happy I'm interested in seeing how they will pull this off because unlike the Prince of Tennis musicals, who just removed the female characters in their entirety because there weren't that many to begin with who had prominent roles, Fruits Basket has a sizeable female cast.

The slash fans are going to have a field day with this. Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, to say the least. I also find it something how they're looking for unknowns, although I don't know much about the Japanese stage scene myself, so we'll have to keep a lookout on this one.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Hehe and yet I remember seeing alot if plays being done by all female, I guess they are going back in time using the all-male cast.

...Juliet wasn't ALWAYS played by a girl Razz Heh, that would've been something else...
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I guess they are going back in time using the all-male cast.

I think the reasons are more prosaic... Let's see - many girls like Fruits Basket. Girls also like pretty boys. Fruits Basket has an extensive cast of pretty boys. Ka-ching! I have a feeling that they'll either completely remove the female characters (see Prince of Tennis or Air Gear), or turn them into males.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Lol Tohru being played by a guy..that should be funny. Laughing

Yes I find it humorous. Leave me alone. Thats not sexist of me. Its a fact that its funny.

HAHAHHAA. ...actually considering how girly some yaoi guys are..now its not that funny for me anymore. Crying or Very sad She'll be a uke now. Laughing.... Confused
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Kabuki is making a come back, yo. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saint Juste

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Furuba Kabuki this does not amuse me Anime hyper

I hate Kabuki *feminist* and I hate the second part of furuba xD ahh... I would suicide before watching this Anime hyper
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I want to watch this.

Just for teh lulz.

DVDs please!
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I find this rather weird. A guy dressing up as a girl, even if it is for s play, still that's weird, especially considering how girly Tohru is. But like someone said earlier, they may take out the female characters altogther. Even though Tohru is the star of Fruits Basket, it is possible that they may take her, Kagura, Kisa, etc out and only have Kyo, Yuki, Shigure, Hatori, Momiji etc. Now that would be interesting, only because I have always been curious to know how the life of the men in Fruits Basket would be if they were in charge. But yeah, the yaoi fans will have a field day with this. Or, they may replace the girls with male characters (making it the same amount of characters before, except the female characters were taken out, male characters were put in) but yeah, I think I'll keep an eye on this too. I wanna know what they're gonna do.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote
yay, throwing back to the days of Shakespeare when all parts were played by men!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
No real boy is girly enough to play Momiji.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
Kabuki is still going strong, it doesn't need to make a comeback. :p

I saw kabuki this past summer a couple of times. Some of the males playing females are downright amazing. This could certainly easily go well!

Monster in a box wrote:
No real boy is girly enough to play Momiji.

Not true!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:10 am Reply with quote
I'll need more proof than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2