• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Live-action anime characters.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Just for fun, here. There's all this rigamarole recently about anime slowly oozing into Hollywood and there have been topics, but I have a different idea.

They say that greenlighted screenplays (ones with a story good enough to be funded) are called "actor bait." They are put out there for the sole purpose of attracting big names to the project because that will attract a larger audience to the theater.

If you made any anime a live-action movie, any one at all, what actor would you want to play a certain role?

I joked that Paul Giamatti would be a good Gendo Ikari in the Evangelion movie. In retrospect, this is maybe not the best idea, but he's the first person that popped into my head. The better role for Giamatti is probably Shou Tucker in a Fullmetal Alchemist movie, dontcha think? Laughing

James Cromwell would make a great Gendo if age didn't bother anybody...

If he were a little more wizened-looking, I think Hugh Jackman would be pretty sweet as Wolfwood in a Trigun movie. (Give him ten years or so...)

Then, of course, there's always this joke. I'm inclined to boo and hiss too, but to be completely fair, it's not a bad idea at all if he could really act the part. It's just...ya know. That gut-check reaction of "god, no..."

So, what about you guys?
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I've always thought about seeing some anime get the big budget live-action movie treatment (Gunsmith Cats in particular), but I never really thought on who would play the parts. Good idea though, I'll get back to ya when I think of something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Actually, at first glance, he would be an amazing Fuyutsuki. Surprised
Quote:

Then, of course, there's always this joke. I'm inclined to boo and hiss too, but to be completely fair, it's not a bad idea at all if he could really act the part. It's just...ya know. That gut-check reaction of "god, no..."

NOOOOOOOOOO ...

except, now that I think about it, Light is such a ridiculous character anyway that only a completely ridiculous actor could truly pull off his mannerisms.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I can easily imagine him being perfect for the rôle of a narcissistic, megalomaniacal mass murderer, who lurks and cackles his way through a very, very thin plot.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
I object heartily. It's not a thin plot at all, it's very full, complex, multi-layered, with a lot of great twists.

It's just ridiculous and totally unrealistic and downright silly. Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
Okay, I'll give you that. 俺の負けだ。

- abunai
Listen to them! Children of the night... what music they make!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I joked that Paul Giamatti would be a good Gendo Ikari in the Evangelion movie. In retrospect, this is maybe not the best idea, but he's the first person that popped into my head.

... because they're so convincingly Japanese?!

I mean, there are plenty of non-Japanese roles in anime that could be adapted for these guys ... why pick Gendo Ikari instead?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
Because, I believe, an implicit part of the original post was that this was fantasy casting for a Hollywood live-action version, not a Japanese one.

- abunai
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:10 pm Reply with quote
A Hollywood live-action version could still feature Japanese characters, of course. But I take your meaning, as long as it's put forward that a non-Japanese version of the character Gendo Ikari probably shouldn't go by the name Gendo Ikari.
Kyon27

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah. He should go by Gendo Rokubungi.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really into anime being adapted into Hollywood movies, but I do have to agree, Hugh Jackman would make a perfect Wolfwood.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Well I watched the harry potter movies during halloween and the first thin that popped into my mind was that james and oliver phelps (the weasley twins) could play hikaru and kaoru from ouran high school host club.

Quote:
God that sickens me every time.
Quote:
I object heartily. It's not a thin plot at all, it's very full, complex, multi-layered, with a lot of great twists.

It's just ridiculous and totally unrealistic and downright silly

Very true BUT is it as ridiculous and unrealistic as high school musical? Because that seems to be the limit of his acting ability.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, for Gendo Ikari, I still think that Robin Williams would be a good idea, if not only for the reasons that A) He's an Evangelion fan B) He can perform serious roles extremely well and C) He's a famous actor who'd probably attract a lot of people to the movie. Anime smile

Hugh Jackman as Wolfwood is perfect, though! I also think that Leonardo DiCaprio could pull off Vash as well, if you use his recent roles in movies like Blood Diamond and The Departed as examples of him being completely kick ass.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
DiCaprio? Pfffff. I used to think he couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag, but that changed after I saw The Aviator and The Departed. Now I just think he plays certain VERY specific roles impeccably well but doesn't have a great wealth of breadth. Ironically, like Vash's VA Johnny Bosch. God love him, he's great as a young good-hearted hero, but I don't think he has a whole lot of range as an actor. Lelouche is the most "different" thing he's done, and it's hit-and-miss.

That aside, Vash isn't just kickass, he's also extremely innocent-hearted and more than a bit screwy. It'd be a really tough role to play in live action with any success, so you'd need someone REEEEEALLY talented.

Weird. It's kind of like Vash is a spoiler[130 year old angel-god-thing] with a twenty-five year old's body and a ten year old's brain. That'sssss different, to say the least.

Quote:
Actually, at first glance, he would be an amazing Fuyutsuki.

Yeeeeah. He really would! For a role to connect him to, think the "man in the moon" creator of The Truman Show. I think Robin Williams could pull off Gendo, by the way, but there are probably better options.

For some reason I was thinking of Misato, and Jennifer Aniston popped in my head. Young-ish motherly figure with attitude and capable acting ability? Check-o. Laughing
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I do agree that Vash is a complex character. I mean, the kick ass part he'd have handled and the look, but I think he might be able to pull off loony nut. Anime smile I mean, he was pretty convincing in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and he was pretty young then. Anime smile I wouldn't say he doesn't have range as an actor so much as though he doesn't explore many other roles.

And I do agree. Before The Aviator, I felt that any movie with Leonardo DiCraprio attached (even The Titanic) was a guaranteed failure. Anime smile But I have faith in his Akira and Ninja Scroll! Anime smile The Departed has changed my views very much! Anime smile

But seriously, would you rather have Orlando Bloom as Vash? Razz

As for Misato, that's a little tricky. I mean, I always pictured Misato as someone having a slightly rounder face than Aniston. That's my personal opinion. I mean, Aniston could pull Misato off, but there'd be a few things holding me back. Maybe someone like Lucy Liu (Anime smile).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2