• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost Talker's Daydream GN 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
For what it is, I think of Ghost Talker's Daydream is actually unique *because* of its hardcore content in addition to its supernatural elements. It throws in so many dirty aspects that it really does give the sense of testing what the readers are willing to sit through. If the reader is unwilling to read it through, then this book isn't for them. But for others like myself who like to challenge themselves into sitting through the graphic content, we are treated to something where nothing is held back and we get to see Misaki's world for what it is. Once we get past that, then we get into the supernatural cases Misaki involves herself in, and everything and everyone really is interesting in their own ways once the reader gets into it. But again, if one doesn't appreciate the content then this manga wasn't meant for them to begin with. I don't normally like hardcore stories either, but I'm hooked to Ghost Talker because I haven't read anything quite like it before, and I am looking forward to future volumes.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like a bad HBO original series.
ScottGreen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
For what it is, I think of Ghost Talker's Daydream is actually unique *because* of its hardcore content in addition to its supernatural elements.

I wouldn't say that I dislike Ghost Talker's Daydream (for reference), but I definitely wouldn't call it unique. It's from Shonen Ace. Beyond anime related manga, that's what they publish (MPD Psycho, Goth, Deadman Wonderland)
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I never heard of Shonen Ace, so it just goes to show how much I know. I just like the series either way
ScottGreen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
I never heard of Shonen Ace, so it just goes to show how much I know. I just like the series either way

Valid point. Context is significant, but so is impression of people who don't see everything, especially for a manga that tries to be shocking.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I own the DVD, my problem with the series is why it wasn't longer. I mean, the fanservice was little much, however, I still enjoyed it.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I own the DVD, my problem with the series is why it wasn't longer. I mean, the fanservice was little much, however, I still enjoyed it.

Same here. I thought the anime would have done well to keep going but it didn't. I was kind of hoping that this would be a nice expansion of the series, but the way it has been written about just turns me off in so many ways. And I am not talking about sex and violence, that's fine, but it still has to be interesting. From the sound of it I might be yawning through "action" scenes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
Glad to see a review for this title.

I remember seeing the preview for it back in a past issue of NTUSA. For some reason it kind of drew my attention. So I checked out a fansub for it. I liked it and later picked up the DVD. The show made me want to know more about the characters involved in the series. So I'm considering picking up the manga. Although I didn't know that the manga pushed the "bar" further than what you'd expect. But I have to admit the main character is interesting.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

I agree as well, I rather liked this quirky little over-sexed OVA and wish they would have continued it. The characters were interesting and the stories despite the mature content were pretty deep. On the other hand I realize that the OVA is probabally one of those titles made esentially as a supliment or promotion for the manga it seems. I don't think I'd read it unless I ran out of reading material but I'd definitely watch more of anime. This series was all about mood and atnosphere which would (probabally) come off WAY better animated with music and voices.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1