• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Russian Government Censors to Investigate GTO Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:42 am Reply with quote
Good to know that Soviet attitudes are still alive and well in Mother Russia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
And, because it needs to be out there...

IN SOVIET RUSSIA, ANIME CUTS YOU!
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He also claimed that the anime makes the viewers think that prostitution and theft are all right because it deals with these themes in a completely humorous light.

Well, you Russkies seem to deal with these issues in a humorous light with your little mafia and mail-order brides, and all.... Rolling Eyes
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quote
I LOLed. That's all I can really say about this
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:32 am Reply with quote
The only thing GTO is guilty of is having a confusing ending. (see the manga or live action series for closure).
MrVince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:31 am Reply with quote
(comments deleted by author)

Last edited by MrVince on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:53 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing the tendencies for GTO to sexualize his students and especially the first school's incident were seen and got people in a huff.

To be fair I do find the Japanese love for minors (even non-lolis) very creepy. GTO is just one example, and he doesn't translate always very well.
KarmaRocketX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:11 am Reply with quote
This begs the same question that I have regarding all censoring jackwipes like these people.

Namely the question of "Don't these losers have anything more constructive to do with their time?"
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:17 am Reply with quote
*looks at news title*

*reads whole thing*

...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*starts rolling around on the floor, laughing madly, then coughing for air*

Oh my god... So... so funny. So very, VERY, very funny.

God HELP russia if they ever saw something like KnJ. I don't have a full fledged opinion of it myself, but... Oh lawdy.

This is the best topic of the day, hands down.
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:42 am Reply with quote
I suppose on a superficial level... GTO does have more "sexual topics" than most anime.

Still GTO is too awesome to ban.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:17 am Reply with quote
KarmaRocketX wrote:
This begs the same question that I have regarding all censoring jackwipes like these people.

Namely the question of "Don't these losers have anything more constructive to do with their time?"

Not if their job is to guard the moral, cultural and emotional well being of a nations television broadcasts or their job is to decide what material is acceptable for broadcast.

The UK has the BBFC which gives age ratings and so forth but doesn't decide legality, there is a police department whose job is to review content and decide if what is shown is legal and it DOES fall within their power to refuse to allow something to be shown because it offends moral sensibilities.
sunflowerseed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:23 am Reply with quote
Well I do know the 1st and 2nd shows can make you feel uncomfortable with 'older' family members in the room but after that the story is like set and there wasn't a problem to begin with.

Onizuka was pretty young himself and as it was he could have been like a dropout 3x going to finish his last year. Since he was 'almost' young enough to still date them it sets up a lot of things and scenes that wouldn't happen at all with a teacher that would be oh say 27 years old.

Looks to me as if The Great Teacher Onizuka is going to have to get his passport ready and go to Russia to straighten this out in his own way which he is good at. I am sure he can learn to speak the Russian language well enough on the 'fictious' boat trip over he takes to make the trip there.
6Hokage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:21 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
He also claimed that the anime makes the viewers think that prostitution and theft are all right because it deals with these themes in a completely humorous light.

Well, you Russkies seem to deal with these issues in a humorous light with your little mafia and mail-order brides, and all.... Rolling Eyes

And you seems to have some issues with stereotypic vision of this world in humorous light.

Caring about children and overall moral is of course all bad. And of course anime in not censored anywhere (like in every country)... oh wait, it is.

Last edited by 6Hokage on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:28 am; edited 2 times in total
kynoki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:22 am Reply with quote
omg how is gto bad hell all u see of a girl in the show is pantes and haf a butt shot big woop most of the time u see onizukas ass lol this show is fantasic in i fill sorry for russian people so glade im in CA
otimus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:17 am Reply with quote
Honestly no one can see why people would be upset over a show about a high school teacher who wants to have sex with high school students?

Now, don't get me wrong, I like GTO. But it should be obvious why the hell folks are upset here, and it isn't abnormal!

Lord knows I agree with the fellow who said Japan's fascination with wanting to diddle up minors is downright creepy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4