News 009 RE: Cyborg Cinema Screenings from Friday
posted on 2013-06-06 05:05 EDT by Andrew Osmond
The SF/action film 009 RE: Cyborg, directed by Kenji Kamiyama (Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex) will be screening from Friday June 7 in the following venues (subtitled).
- London – Hackney Picturehouse will hold two late-night screenings (11.10 p.m.) on June 7 and 8
- London – Ritzy Picturehouse (Brixton) will hold two late-night screenings (11.30 p.m.) on June 7 and 8
- London – Stratford East (Stratford), screening at 8.30 p.m. on June 13
- Liverpool – FACT, screening on June 22
- There is also a screening planned at the Dundee Contemporary Arts Cinema but the date is unconfirmed as of writing.
The film will also be available for streaming via distrify on June 7, when it will go up on All the Anime's website for £2.99 per stream. It will also be available from iTunes rental (and Download-to-Own from September 1) and FilmFlex.
The film is made in CGI animation, and is based on Shotaro Ishinomori's classic science-fiction manga, Cyborg 009. Kamiyama's YouTube channel is streaming the trailer (above). The story begins when skyscrapers in London, Moscow, Berlin, and New York are destroyed by simultaneous bombings, causing widespread panic throughout the world. A group of nine cyborg fighters is reunited, but their former leader is living alone in Tokyo with his memories wiped.