News DeNA's Free Manga Box App Launches in English (Updated)
posted on 2013-12-04 02:15 EST by Lynzee Loveridge
DeNA's free Manga Box smartphone and tablet app launched in English with four manga titles available, and eventually reaching total of 28. Available in English on Wednesday is hounori's Attack on Titan manga spinoff, Spoof on Titan (Sungeki no Kyojin), the Kindaichi Case Files spinoff series Kindaichi Case Files: Takato's Side (Takatō Shōnen no Jikenbo) by Seimaru Amagi and Fumiya Sato, Billion Dogs by Muneyuki Kaneshiro (Kami-sama no Iu Toori/As the Gods Will) and Naoki Serizawa (Saru Lock), and The Great Phrases Women Fall For by Jigoku no Misawa.
Spoof on Titan, Kindaichi Case Files: Takato's Side, and Billion Dogs are updated on Wednesdays, and The Great Phrases Women Fall For is updated every day.
The app will also add the following titles throughout the week:
- The Knight in the Area by Hiroaki Igano and Kaya Tsukiyama (updated on Thursdays)
- Can't Ride A Bicycle! by Hideki (updated on Thursdays)
- High-rise Invasion (Tenkū Shinbon) by Tsuina Miura and Takahiro Ohba (Updated on Thursdays)
- High School Ninja Girl, Otonashi-san by Masami Watanabe (updated on Thursdays)
- District Hakkenshi [code:T-8] by Rando Ayamine (GetBackers, Majestic Prince), Kentaro, and Saki Kurimoto (updated on Thursdays)
- NadeNadeShikoShiko by Tarako Umeyama (updated on Thursdays)
- Schoolgirl Landlord Honoka by Toshihiko Kobayashi (Pastel) (updated on Fridays)
- Peephole by Rahson
- Girl and Car on the Beat by Akata Inubo (updated on Fridays)
- The Chronicle of Akoya by Shō Satō (Arashi no Densetsu) (updated on Saturdays)
- My Grandpa's Stories Can't Be This Weird! by Kazuhiro Urata (updated on Saturdays)
- GREEN WORLDZ by Yusuke Osawa (updated on Sundays)
- ARAIDOKI by Yusuke Hashimoto (updated on Sundays)
- Man's Bestest Friend by Hiroyuki Tamakoshi (Boys Be…) (updated on Mondays)
- Horizon by Takuya Okada (updated on Mondays)
- First Love Suicide Pact by Yosuke Suzaki (updated on Mondays)
- Stra the Warlockby Nawoya Iwata (updated on Tuesdays)
- In a Heartbeat by Neruko Sugu (updated on Tuesdays)
Update: The Japanese mobile entertainment company DeNA launched the Manga Box app, not Kodansha. Manga Box is hosting manga from Kodansha, as well as Shogakukan and DeNA itself. The company also plans to add more publishers to the app in the future.
The app will feature 28 titles, although seven titles will be in Japanese only:
- Yū Kinutani's Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (updated on Wednesdays)
- Yoshiki Sakurai and Masayuki Yamamoto's Tachikoma na Hibi (updated on Wednesdays)
- Rason's Ana-Satsujin (updated on Fridays)
- Nobuaki Kanazawa and Hitori Renda's Ousama Game (updated on Saturdays)
- Shinichi Okada and Hiroto Ohishi's Dorei-ku (updated on Sundays)
- Nowa (Gainax) and Kyo Hazuki's Sadondes (updated on Sundays)
- Tsukasa Oshima's Shoot! (updated on Tuesdays)
Some of the manga featured on Manga Box are being published simultaneously in both English and Japanese, and the app is available on the iTunes Store and on Google Play in 140 countries and regions around the world. DeNA also plans to add more languages to the app in the future.
Manga Box will allow users to read the 12 most recent issues of manga for free, and the users can also read the first 100 pages of the first volume of each series at all times.
Shin Kibayashi (one of the many pennames of Tadashi Agi and the creator of The Drops of God, Kindaichi Case Files, and GetBackers), is serving as editor-in-chief of the app. DeNA plans to sell e-books and printed books of the manga published on Manga Box, and also plans "a variety of movie adaptations and merchandise based on the series in collaboration with Dentsu Inc."
DeNA held a press conference to announce the app on Monday. President and CEO of DeNA Isao Moriyasu, Kodansha vice president and board member Kohei Furukawa, and Kibayashi spoke at the event (see gallery below).
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history