7 Manga Nominated for Angoulême's Top Prize
posted on by Crystalyn Hodgkins
The 46th Angoulême International Comics Festival has announced its nominees for Best Comic, which includes seven manga:
- Shinichi Ishizuka's Blue Giant
- Yarō Abe's Shinya Shokudō (The Midnight Diner, La Cantine de Minuit)
- Gou Tanabe's H.P. Lovecraft's At The Mountains Of Madness (Kūki no Sanmyaku ni te, Dark Horse Comics will publish the manga in English)
- Mari Yamazaki and Miki Tori's PLINIVS
- Minoru Furuya's Saltiness
- Miki Yamamoto's Sunny Sunny Ann!
- Yugo Ishikawa's Wonderland (Seven Seas is publishing the manga in English)
Lat year's event nominated Shinya Shokudō in the same category.
Additionally, Kamome Shirahama's Witch Hat Atelier manga is nominated for Best Youth Comic. Kodansha Comics publishes the manga in English. Maki Sasaki's previously unpublished anthology manga Charivari is nominated for Best Heritage Comic. The manga originally ran in the Garo avant-garde magazine from 1967-1981.
This year's Angoulême Festival runs from January 24-27 in the Angoulême area of France.
Last year, the first volume of horror manga creator Kazuo Umezu's Watashi wa Shingo (Je Suis Shingo; My Name is Shingo) manga won the Best Heritage Comic award. Naoki Urasawa was additionally awarded with the Fauve Special Award and the Fauve Polar SNCF Special Award for mystery works.
The festival launched in 1974 as an event celebrating comics from countries throughout the world.