Arrow Video Releasing Live-Action Terraformars Blu-ray on April 1
posted on by Andrew Osmond
In a Facebook post, Arrow Video announced that it would release a Blu-ray edition of Takashi Miike's live-action film version of Terraformars in the UK on April 1. According to the announcement:
'The ever-prolific Takashi Miike, the director behind the likes of Audition, the Dead or Alive trilogy and Blade of the Immortal, returns with this intergalactic epic in which a team of space explorers find themselves pitched against a horde of oversized anthropomorphic cockroaches.
'In the mid-21st century, humankind has been forced to look to colonising other planets as a means of combating overcrowding on Earth – their first stop, Mars. With a population of cockroaches having been introduced on Mars some 500 years prior to help prepare the way for human colonization, a manned mission sets out to the red planet with the aim of clearing away the bugs. Upon arrival, however, they discover that the roaches have evolved to huge, vicious creatures capable of wielding weapons.
'Based on the popular Manga series of the same name, Terra Formars is an action-packed space adventure brought to life by one of Japan's most celebrated contemporary filmmakers.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS • High-Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation • Original uncompressed Stereo and 5.1 DTS-HD MA options • Newly-translated English subtitles • The Making of Terra Formars - feature-length documentary on the film's production featuring a host of cast and crew interviews and behind-the-scenes footage • Extended cast interviews • Footage from the 2016 Japanese premiere • Outtakes • Image Gallery • Theatrical and teaser trailers • Reversible sleeve featuring two artwork options. FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Fully illustrated collector's booklet with new writing on the film by Tom Mes
Kazuki Nakashima (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill) wrote the screenplay, based on the manga by Yū Sasuga and Michio Fukuda. The film's cast includes:
- Hideaki Itō (Princess Blade, Onmyoji, Umizaru, Sukiyaki Western Django, Lesson of the Evil) as the lead role of Shōkichi Komachi
- Emi Takei (live-action Rurouni Kenshin's Kaoru, Kyō, Koi o Hajimemasu's Tsubaki, Ai to Makoto's Ai, Clover's Saya) as the heroine Nanao Akita.
- Takayuki Yamada (Densha Otoko, Bakuman., H2: Kimi to Ita Hibi) as Ichirō Hiruma
- Shun Oguri (Lupin III, Fullmetal Alchemist: The Movie - Conqueror of Shamballa, Detective Conan) as Kō Honda
- Kane Kosugi (Street Fighter Alpha, Choy Lee Fut, Ninja 2: Shadow of a Tear) as God Lee
- Rinko Kikuchi (Pacific Rim, Babel, The Sky Crawlers) as Asuka Moriki, based on Victoria Wood
- Masaya Kato (Crying Freeman, 1998 Godzilla, Unfair) as Keisuke Dōjima, based on Donatello K. Davis
- Eiko Koike (20th Century Boys, Seppun, Nasu: Summer in Andalusia) as Mina Ōbari, based on Zhang Ming-Ming
- Mariko Shinoda (former AKB48 idol, Ouran High School Host Club) as Sorae Ōsako, based on Jaina Eisenstein
- Kenichi Takitō (Ryōmaden, Climber's High) as Shunji Tezuka, based on Tejas Viji
- Rina Ōta (The Next Generation -Patlabor-, Princess Jellyfish) as Maria Renjō, based on Maria Viren
- Rila Fukushima (The Wolverine, Arrow, Game of Thrones) as the new, original character Sakakibara
The non-Japanese team members in the original manga have had their names and part of their characters changed. For example, the Thai character Thien is now Jin Mutō, as played by former NEWS band member Tomohisa Yamashita (a.k.a. "Yamapi" from Kurosagi, Ikebukuro West Gate Park, Ashita no Joe).
Via Anime UK News
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history