• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lucky Star Town's Matchmaking Event Pairs 7 Couples

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote
Sadly, this is probably a much bigger success rate than most dating sites in the US.
Muppe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
Nice to see the japanese otakus getting some help to find a partner.
Villette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
So... why did the women have to pay more money than the men?
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
Villette wrote:

They paid less. I think you mis-read the article. The men had to pay 8000 yen, and the women had to pay 1000 yen.
If they had the women pay more, then this thing would have bombed. As it was, there were far less women who signed up for this than men.
Anyway, it's a good idea for a dating service. Find people who share a common hobby, and get them to meet and discuss that hobby, and then give them a fun activity to do. Sounds fun.
Villette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
Whoops, my bad.

It makes more sense for the guys to pay more, but the price difference still seems a little extreme.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Villette wrote:

They paid less. I think you mis-read the article. The men had to pay 8000 yen, and the women had to pay 1000 yen.
If they had the women pay more, then this thing would have bombed. As it was, there were far less women who signed up for this than men.
Anyway, it's a good idea for a dating service. Find people who share a common hobby, and get them to meet and discuss that hobby, and then give them a fun activity to do. Sounds fun.
Like take a bath together.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Villette wrote:
Whoops, my bad.

It makes more sense for the guys to pay more, but the price difference still seems a little extreme.

not really, i think female should be free.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
So, is this event happening frequently?
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quark wrote:

Like go to the psychologist together.

Spotlesseden wrote:

Sure. When I go out with my Mio body pillow I don't let her spend a single penny.
See that? US$ 31.99 + Shipping Cost & laundry expenses and that's pretty much it. Now compare it to having a "real" girlfriend.

Run, little otaku, run! This is a bad deal! Keep your money for discs, merchandise, and maid cafes like you've always done.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
So, is this event happening frequently?
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quark wrote:

Like go to the psychologist together.

Spotlesseden wrote:

Sure. When I go out with my Mio body pillow I don't let her spend a single penny.
See that? US$ 31.99 + Shipping Cost & laundry expenses and that's pretty much it. Now compare it to having a "real" girlfriend.

Run, little otaku, run! This is a bad deal! Keep your money for discs, merchandise, and maid cafes like you've always done.

And Soaplands, lets not forget that.

Damn, this little town is looking to milk this baby for all it's worth.
ZipZapZopTitania

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Sadly, this is probably a much bigger success rate than most dating sites in the US.

Erm...I heard once that one out of every five relationships in the U.S. began online. A-just sayin', I dunno if it's right.

Then again, saying they "began online" doesn't necessarily mean it was a dating site. It could've been a forum, or...wait...o_O Come to think of it, they probably did begin on dating sites...
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
ZipZapZopTitania wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

Erm...I heard once that one out of every five relationships in the U.S. began online. A-just sayin', I dunno if it's right.

Then again, saying they "began online" doesn't necessarily mean it was a dating site. It could've been a forum, or...wait...o_O Come to think of it, they probably did begin on dating sites...

Or AIM, or ICQ, or YIM, or MSN, or MySpace, or Facebook... hell, I've even heard of a couple that met AND got married over IRC... not even sure how that works, but okay.
There are plenty of ways to meet people online without it being a dating site, specifically back when "chat rooms" used to be all the rage. That being said, I've heard that statistic as well. Don't recall where, though.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
ZipZapZopTitania wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

Wasn't that statistic from an e-harmony commercial? I'm quite sure that those numbers are completely untrue.

As for the event itself, this is a very good thing. Everyone knows that Japan is having a bit of a... baby problem. Why not try to push people together before things get out of control? It seems like a fun event to me though there are free versions of this at conventions all the time.

And I still find it ironic that this event was held in a town that's economy is booming thanks to the success of a series that said "otaku males always want to go out with otaku females, but otaku females want nothing to do with otaku males."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
City makes money, lonely nerds get to hook up with someone they can at least share a bond over anime/manga/whathaveyou and might, just might get a worthwhile relationship out of it. I feel good for those couples, and wish them the best...

...if my heart wasn't made out of stone.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for the event itself, this is a very good thing. Everyone knows that Japan is having a bit of a... baby problem. Why not try to push people together before things get out of control? It seems like a fun event to me though there are free versions of this at conventions all the time.

This isn't the way to do it, though. What Japan needs is to find a Wilt Chamberlin type of guy to lay all the females he can. Japan, if you want results, you gotta skip some steps and go head first into the bed rocking if you baby making.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

This isn't the way to do it, though. What Japan needs is to find a Wilt Chamberlin type of guy to lay all the females he can.

You mean a Mega-Playboy. Razz

People are kinda surprised that many gals applied.
Like some "'normal' ladies out there looking for an otaku guy for the fact that they think they will be less likely to 'stray'... ala Densha Otoko." Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2