• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Del Rey to Continue Publishing xxxHOLiC, Other Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
That's good. xxxHolic and Tsubasa are the only Del Rey manga titles I read
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Well that good at less there not going to go under for now
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, this sure clears up the confusion from before!
Well, if that's the case, I can focus on another manga title to buy, knowing xxxHOLiC isn't going anywhere.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Bwah... just peeked at the Kodansha site. Negima not expected to come out until May 2011. And now Omnibused with new translations. Now to contemplate recollecting the series again... And if I want to restart reading the scans of it again...

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
At first, I think thinking that the two-month wait between two releases within the same series was just Kodansha USA catching up to books that would have been released without all this movement (i.e. May --> July --> October...). Then this article says...

Quote:
Kodansha will publish most of its manga series every other month

So I hope that really means that books within the same series will actually be released every other month. This is great for a series like Negima. Just hope quality is still there, if not better.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone heard anything about Beck? Tokyopop stopped publishing it well over a year ago because Kodansha wanted to release it in the states. I see that there are still titles that they will announce, but it seems weird that they haven't commented on the Tokyopop licenses that they pulled yet.

Please correct me if I'm missing something.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Princess Resurrection is not on that list! scary! it's one of three that i collected from del rey and none of those are on the list! neat!

so I'll wait till something gets a full release here or just not collect!
Smile
ac195

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Kodansha USA website:

"And finally, Negima! gets an omnibus release in June, collecting the first three volumes with a new translation!"

"Negima! 29 (May), Negima! 30 (July)"

Great news!
Asrialys wrote:

Just hope quality is still there, if not better.

I don't think we really need to fear poor translations of the newer volumes since Kodansha is actually going back and correcting those god awful first three volumes.
kel aka gandy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I still don't get why people are mentioning that Tsubasa is still being published under the Del Rey imprint... Del Rey managed to complete it in November, like the article itself says, and IIRC the original announcement about Del Rey folding said that all the titles already published would stay in print, so uh, duh?

It's great to hear about xxxHOLiC, though I still think it's strange that it's the one random title staying under the Del Rey imprint.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:00 am Reply with quote
ac195 wrote:
Kodansha USA website:

"And finally, Negima! gets an omnibus release in June, collecting the first three volumes with a new translation!"

"Negima! 29 (May), Negima! 30 (July)"

Great news!

No it isn't. Del Rey was going at a good tick with nearly a year in between USA and Japan releases (Heck, they released a volume within 8 months of the Japanese version). Judging by the schedule release by Del Rey, we should've gotten Volume 29 sometime in the spring.

With the new schedule, i'm not too impressed. How do we know they get "tardy" with the future volumes?
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
With the new schedule, i'm not too impressed. How do we know they get "tardy" with the future volumes?

We don't yet. So we'll either fall behind one volume, or be caught up with the tankoubon by the end of 2011, if Negima is one of those series that's getting a new release every other month.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
kel aka gandy wrote:
It's great to hear about xxxHOLiC, though I still think it's strange that it's the one random title staying under the Del Rey imprint.
Well, it's one of Del Ray's top sellers, and one that I'm sure a lot of fans were worried about being dropped or quality slipping with the takeover. So with this staying under the Del Ray label, fans know that the volumes coming out (which I think they're up to Volume 18 in Japan?) we'll still get the same quality release that we've had with the previous volumes.

And who knows, other titles may come out soon enough that will be listed for Del Ray and not for Kodansha, since I don't think the titles listed for a summer release and such were all that Del Ray was publishing at the time when Kodansha announced they were taking over the licenses.
hughvh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they will finish Suzuka.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
We don't yet. So we'll either fall behind one volume, or be caught up with the tankoubon by the end of 2011, if Negima is one of those series that's getting a new release every other month.

Given the past experiences with Bandai Visial and Kondasha already fudging up their version of Ghost in the Shell manga by removing the Lesbian Boat sex scene, one has to wonder if the Japanese even know how to work the USA market efficiently.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:00 am Reply with quote
kel aka gandy wrote:

It's probably one of their best selling series. That would explain why they'd want to continue publishing it atleast until the current license expires. Don't forget, Del Rey had a life before manga and will have one after as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2