• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Next Haruhi Suzumiya Novel Dated for May 25, 2011

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucy_Nyuu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Finally, i've been waiting for years...

if "the world" would be an english release, i'd be even happier Very Happy
Chappers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
2 volumes, eh? Presumably something to do with spoiler[the weird split that happened in the previous volume. Really made the ending drag there...]

The other strange thing is that it isn't being labelled as the "last" volume. This may be a quirk of the translation, or possibly he's decided to extend it... oh well, such is the danger of reading ongoing series...
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Question, on that note: there seems to be a widespread belief that this is the final novel. Where does that come from?
Mavrick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
I don't see there being an English release in May, seeing as Rampage(Vol. 5) is comming out in June 2011. It would just be weird for them to skip the 5 or so volumes in the middle and release Suprise(10 and 11) in english.

Shay Guy wrote:
Question, on that note: there seems to be a widespread belief that this is the final novel. Where does that come from?

Possiably due to the fact that it's been 4 years since the last volume came out. Also, some people say the story is winding down. I haven't read much past Vol 6 yet, so I can't be sure.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
Now only if they can release light novel here faster I can read it sooner then some where in 2015
alexcampos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:18 am Reply with quote
I really wish this would end...

I'm not a hater, I just don't understand why this hasn't ended, it took the author 4 YEARS to write ONE volume.

I think at this point, it's clear that it's better to end it than to keep it alive and ruin it.
TJR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
I'd guess that they kept it on hiatus for financial reasons. Once a story ends, interest in licensing (merchandise, games, adaptations, sequels to said games and adaptations, etc.) bottoms out pretty quickly.

If you want to profit big time, you put off the conclusion for as long as possible.
Kohii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
alexcampos wrote:

I'm not a hater, I just don't understand why this hasn't ended, it took the author 4 YEARS to write ONE volume.

I think at this point, it's clear that it's better to end it than to keep it alive and ruin it.

He didn't take all 4 years to write 1 novel. He wrote other things in between. He just got a case of writer's bloc and put the series on hold. He did write other things during that time.
hikaricore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote
This is great news and all, but after the amazing film I think we're all wondering when season 3 is going to happen. :p
jyuichi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
alexcampos wrote:

Its a light novel but 4 years is not that unusual for authors.... Any George R.R. Martin fans out there?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:45 am Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
I'd guess that they kept it on hiatus for financial reasons. Once a story ends, interest in licensing (merchandise, games, adaptations, sequels to said games and adaptations, etc.) bottoms out pretty quickly.

If you want to profit big time, you put off the conclusion for as long as possible.

Imagine if they did that with Harry Potter?
People are already Harry Pottered out! Laughing
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:30 am Reply with quote
Mavrick wrote:
I don't see there being an English release in May, seeing as Rampage(Vol. 5) is comming out in June 2011. It would just be weird for them to skip the 5 or so volumes in the middle and release Suprise(10 and 11) in english.

Yeah, I don't get this at all. Unless:

- It's not really chronological, so it doesn't matter if people haven't read the preceding English volumes.
- It'll be a story reset that starts a new story or universe, so it doesn't matter if people haven't read the preceding English volumes.
- It'll just be a Japanese-language version, and Kadokawa intends it for Haruhi fans around the world who read Japanese (probably a lot in Singapore, Korea, etc)
- Kadokawa is just grand standing to make the franchise seem important and international.
Manwards

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote
"And the world" is just the kind of hyperbolic thing people say in any announcement. It's true, in that there's nothing stopping me from importing it to the UK. But considering it takes Little, Brown at least six months to translate and release each novel, there's no way they'd have the tenth ones translated and printed in time to ship with the Japanese version. And it wouldn't make sense if they did, especially as, from what little I know, spoiler[it continues directly from the endings of Vol. 9].

I look forward to reading it in the far-distant future of 2014, though. Little, Brown are doing an excellent job with the novels so far, but it still seems like an age between each one. They were released faster in Japan to begin with than they are being over here!
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Sweet. It was only very recently that I got to read the other novels, I'm all caught up and ready for this if the simultaneous release is what it sounds like.

I doubt a physical book release, but maybe a digital one until it gets printed for real here? That could be what it means maybe.

I do wonder if this is really the end or not though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:34 am Reply with quote
For all of you that don't understand why it's getting a simultaneously release, I'd like to point out that all 9 of his novels have been translated by fans... Isn't this like a simulcast, just with books?

I know i never would have waited till 2015 to read the last volume but I'm buying this book... if it's in english. If not I'll go with the fan translation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2