• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gackt to Voice Guest Role in Supernatural Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow, like this isn't going to bring people in already. Anime hyper How does GACKT fare when it comes to voice over? I'm a big fan of his music.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
FMAvatard wrote:
Wow, like this isn't going to bring people in already. Anime hyper How does GACKT fare when it comes to voice over? I'm a big fan of his music.

He was pretty good in Shiki. He had more of a prominent role in that series, though.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
FMAvatard wrote:

I'm also not minding Gackt appearing.

Gackt is a fairly competent voice actor. He did Genesis in Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus, and in both he pulled off the character quite well.
myochan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Though I'm not too familiar with his music, Gackt seems like a really interesting guy and his photos are gorgeous. As a longtime Supernatural fan, I'm just that much more excited to see this show. I hope they don't waste any time bringing it over to America!
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote
Gackt was born to play villains. I am a raging Gacktard but he should have gotten into voice acting ages ago (since no one watched New Fist of the North Star and that was his only venture into voice acting prior to Genesis)

Way to use an eight year-old picture though, ANN. Couldn't you have at least tried to find something from the last couple years?

P.S.

myochan wrote:
Though I'm not too familiar with his music, Gackt seems like a really interesting guy and his photos are gorgeous. As a longtime Supernatural fan, I'm just that much more excited to see this show. I hope they don't waste any time bringing it over to America!

He's better without ludicrous Photoshopping, which is largely what causes haters to whine about him being fake. He has worked his ass off (eight full-length albums in ten years, for starters) to become the beefy workaholic he is today. It's his passionate music that draws the most attention, though. Japanese CDs are expensive but thankfully his entire discography is available on iTunes and one of his two 2005 albums, Diabolos, is available retail in Europe.

I recommend the Mars, Crescent, and Sixth Day albums. If you're buying from iTunes, Drug Party is one of his best set lists ever.

Okay, fantarding done. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Haters hating etc.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:14 am Reply with quote
Oh please, this is like Hollywood actors kowtowing that they've been fans of something something since forever because they're cast in the film adaptation! Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:48 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the show, and it's not the part which concerns me as the fact that he's playing a guy w/ an ordinary name like Andy. Laughing
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
Haha, I snickered. Go Gackt!

enurtsol wrote:
Oh please, this is like Hollywood actors kowtowing that they've been fans of something something since forever because they're cast in the film adaptation! Laughing

Who knows, Gackt is a weirdo who 1) claims to be a vampire 2) is into classic rock, 3) is just plain weird.

He seems like the Supernatural type.
nynextew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
LauraOrganaSolo wrote:
I am a raging Gacktard

I concur tenfold.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote
Awesome AWESOME NEWS.
I LOVE GACKT. He's one of the greatest entertainers of ALL TIME. A true artist/musician. BEST... He needs to do more VA.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:26 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

Who knows, Gackt is a weirdo who 1) claims to be a vampire 2) is into classic rock, 3) is just plain weird.

He seems like the Supernatural type.

Oh c'mon! You can't make that leap! Whattaya gonna say next? He's into Twilight?! Laughing

Betcha he hasn't even heard of it before he was hired to work on it! Razz
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
According to Eiga.com, Gackt watches many overseas live-action television series, but the original Supernatural series is one of his favorites.

I didn't know Gackt watch foreign show. That was a surprise to me, and it's kind of cool that he like Supernatural and now he's going to lend his voice for the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
YES.

Gackt as a voice actor in Supernatural? DO WANT!
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they're really going out of their way to make Americans buy this... (and maybe to goad hardcore Gackt fans to buy it as well, since I don't think they expect much sales on the domestic front.)
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
nynextew wrote:
LauraOrganaSolo wrote:
I am a raging Gacktard

I concur tenfold.

Thanks Captain Obvious. Do you want to fight about something or are you just taking boring potshots?

enurtsol wrote:
Oh c'mon! You can't make that leap! Whattaya gonna say next? He's into Twilight?! Laughing

Betcha he hasn't even heard of it before he was hired to work on it! Razz

Actually Gackt is a big fan of Western entertainment. He brags about his home theatre and the quantity of DVDs he buys and movies he frequently cites as favorites are Braveheart, Terminator 2, and City of Angels.

That, and a number of Western TV shows get a decent amount of air time on Japanese TV. There were boxed DVD sets of 24 for sale at convenience stores when I was in Japan and a resident friend watched the first couple seasons of Heroes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1