• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, December 27-January 2 [2011-01-07]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deviant_scarlet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:35 am Reply with quote
Wow, its the first time I've seen the Top 10 dominated by Shoujo Manga. Looks like the ladies are proving to be more reliable consumers of Manga than us guys.

I wonder what happened to the 13-17 guys. It looks like they've either gone to American comics and/or are reading unlicensed/licensed scanlations on the web. Either way, kudos to all those who are still buying their manga/comics and support the creators.

Also, I'm glad to see Yotsuba and Rosario Vampire still holding on the list. I swear I bought three copies of that volume of Yotsuba&! last night in Barnes & Nobles.

But yeah, I still don't see why people prefer to read their manga online than to read it in fresh print. Having the physical copy still still has its advantages. What if your hard-drive gets formatted? How your going to recover that?
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:05 am Reply with quote
It's probably because of the types of series. Shojo and fujoshi bait rely on fangirls' estrogen, so they feel compelled to buy the manga.

Teenage boys could care less if they buy their action titles or not, because they don't stimulate them spoiler[sexually] like shojo and fujoshi bait do to girls.

And things that do stimulate boys, like boobs and moeblob and fanservice, are done so tastelessly that it turns them all off.
Deviant_scarlet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:17 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
It's probably because of the types of series. Shojo and fujoshi bait rely on fangirls' estrogen, so they feel compelled to buy the manga.

Teenage boys could care less if they buy their action titles or not, because they don't stimulate them spoiler[sexually] like shojo and fujoshi bait do to girls.

And things that do stimulate boys, like boobs and moeblob and fanservice, are done so tastelessly that it turns them all off.

Dude, its people like you that give a bad impression of the nice folks here outside of ANN. Are you a troll by any chance?

Why don't you relax, drink a cup of tea, and read a little bit of everything of the above you've just bashed instead of judging a book(or graphic novel) by its cover. Wink
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:18 am Reply with quote
Sadly I do not have Hetalia volume 2 yet. There were no copies at my local borders which I wasn't surprised about.

Sigh...
Deviant_scarlet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:31 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Sadly I do not have Hetalia volume 2 yet. There were no copies at my local borders which I wasn't surprised about.

Sigh...

Haha, yeah. Last night, my younger sister was requested that same volume, but they only had one used copy left in their storehouse. So we waited 15 minutes for an employee at Barnes & Nobles(that's where we were) to deliver our copy, and as soon as we got it, turns we'd didn't have any $$$ left for it. And my sister, she K.O. me with a long kendo stick. Razz

But all ended well with a bowl of pastaaaaa(actually it was spagetti, but close enough, isn't it)?

Last edited by Deviant_scarlet on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
wow, that's a lot of girl-oriented titles! (Though Black Butler, for all it LOOKS like a shoujo manga, is technically shonen.)

I'm proud, though... this is like the first time in many years that I actually own half of the books on the list :B
Deviant_scarlet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:45 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
wow, that's a lot of girl-oriented titles! (Though Black Butler, for all it LOOKS like a shoujo manga, is technically shonen.)

I'm proud, though... this is like the first time in many years that I actually own half of the books on the list :B

Its because you are one with the otaku. Thou hast the spirit of thy otaku-kan.

Anyways, setting lame line-catchers aside, congrats. Its people like yourself that we need to preserve our beloved Animu & Mango. Without you gals(and guys), the industry would be doomed.

We, gentlemen, will pick up our fleet..........eventually.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
guys are cheap, they read manga online without paying for them.
Girls are more like to buy the manga and not read then online.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Just so people know, i'm a guy and I like most of the titles on here. But I do kind of agree with the guy above, most titles that are directed towards guys are just ecchi and fanservice titles (WITH some exceptions). I'm glad to see Hetalia, Ouran and Naruto on top. When I get around to reading VK and Black Butler, i'll most likely like them too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1