• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FLCL, Vampire Knight Guilty Put on iTunes Before DVD/BD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nebs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
The Anime Network has also been adding dubbed episodes of "Needless" to iTunes before the DVDs/broadcast/streamings have started:

http://j.mp/gvkX7F
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the first episode is available for free.

And it might be worth noting that it's presented in a widescreen format despite the fact that FLCL's original aspect ratio was a 4:3. Sad
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:59 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Quote:
the first episode is available for free.

And it might be worth noting that it's presented in a widescreen format despite the fact that FLCL's original aspect ratio was a 4:3. Sad

Really? What does that look like?

I wanted to get the Blu-Ray of this but it looks like it's Region 1 only. I'll have to settle for the DVD.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:15 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Really? What does that look like?
Very weird. They appear to have cut off some of the top and bottom portion of the 4:3 frame, and stretched the rest to 16:9.

It also appears they're using the same Q-tec butchered master as the JP BD, which is a shame. Smearing and unsharp-mask-haloes for everyone!
ZenErik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
I hope the BD release is a little better. Pre-ordered a while back. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Happy news on the aspect ratio front. I received an email from FUNi's customer support confirming that the iTunes episodes were, in fact, presented in the wrong aspect ratio and are in the process of being corrected. More importantly -- at least as far as I'm concerned -- the BDs and DVDs will be in the correct 4:3. Big sigh of relief over here.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Happy news on the aspect ratio front. I received an email from FUNi's customer support confirming that the iTunes episodes were, in fact, presented in the wrong aspect ratio and are in the process of being corrected. More importantly -- at least as far as I'm concerned -- the BDs and DVDs will be in the correct 4:3. Big sigh of relief over here.

That's amazing news. I hope whatever customer support rep you were in contact with has correct information.

No matter what anyone says, the image quality on the Japanese Blu-Ray release was much better than the picture quality on the old DVD release. People expecting a criterion collection quality remaster for an older, less popular (in Japan for sure) anime are living in a fantasy world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1