• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Urasawa, Tezuka's Pluto Wins at France's Angoulême

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so I just looked over the past awards at the Angoulême webpage and am I reading this correctly? Did they essentially create this category new this year so that they could give an award to Pluto?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Okay, so I just looked over the past awards at the Angoulême webpage and am I reading this correctly? Did they essentially create this category new this year so that they could give an award to Pluto?

Looks like the intergenerational category was created last year. The previous winner was Messire Guillaume by Matthieu Bonhomme and Gwen de Bonneval.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Looks like the intergenerational category was created last year. The previous winner was Messire Guillaume by Matthieu Bonhomme and Gwen de Bonneval.

Thanks. My French is subpar and based entirely upon my understanding of Spanish.

Still -- Angoulême loves Urasawa, apparently. Not that I disapprove. In the slightest.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

So, kinda like the International Award in The Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards. Laughing
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
So, kinda like the International Award in The Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards. Laughing

For which he's been nominated several times and never won. Though I do say, I need to check with Dororo to confirm my theory, but looking over the titles that have actually won in that category, they were all released left-to-right, and I'm wondering if the Eisners don't have a real bias in that regard. Not that the other comics they've chosen haven't been excellent, but one wonders. Still, it's only a theory, and if Dororo is right-to-left then there it goes out the window.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I thoroughly enjoyed Pluto and I think it's awesome that it's recognized.

Last edited by here-and-faraway on Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
So the average size of a state (let alone prefecture or province) is 65 million? So with 50 states, the US has a population of 3.2 billion?

Razz
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So the average size of a state (let alone prefecture or province) is 65 million? So with 50 states, the US has a population of 3.2 billion?

Razz

It's all those illegal immigrants, I tells ya! Laughing
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed Pluto and I think it's awesome that it's recognized, but seriously, who really cares about an award that's less than three years old from a country with half the population of the average state/province/prefecture/chome?

My province has only 600,000..... Shocked Laughing .

But yeah, Pluto deserves every bit of praise it can get, even if this award is young. I mean, all awards have to start somewhere right?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed Pluto and I think it's awesome that it's recognized, but seriously, who really cares about an award that's less than three years old from a country with half the population of the average state/province/prefecture/chome?

My province has only 600,000..... Shocked Laughing .

But yeah, Pluto deserves every bit of praise it can get, even if this award is young. I mean, all awards have to start somewhere right?

Angoulême has been around for a while; I think the "intergenerational" may be to fill a loophole in rules on authorship, since both the prizes awarded thus far have been dual-authored? It would be awesome if somebody French was online to explain it to us. Smile
Jacut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quote
"in 2004 his 20th Century Boys was made the official selection."

Not only has 20th Century Boys made the official selection in 2004, but it also won the "Best series" award.

Anyway, Angoulême holding the most prestigious festival for comics in the world, winning any award here is quite significative, but mangas are still largely seen in France (and most of Europe I guess) as having great entertainment value more than artistic value.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:41 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Still, it's only a theory, and if Dororo is right-to-left then there it goes out the window.

Dororo is, indeed, right to left.

here-and-faraway wrote:

Parochial much?

Aside from being a bit confused about the size of France's population (the average US state has a population of 131 million?!), I don't think you really understand how big a deal Angoulême is. It's the second biggest comics event in the world with well over 200,000 attendees (second only to Japan's Comiket - which isn't really a convention so much as a gigantic small press market - and twice as big as the USA's biggest con, SDCC) that pretty much takes over an entire town for four days.
This award is fairly new but an Angoulême award is certainly no less important an honour than an Eisner or a Harvey. Rather more so if anything.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:08 am Reply with quote
Pluto is great, except for the groan-worthy lack of subtlety in the "evil USF president George W. Cush lies about the Robots of Mass Destruction in order to invade Iraf and steal Oilium from Saddum Whosane" stuff.

Maus is also great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1