• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where do you spend most of your anime [related] budget?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where do you spend most of your anime budget?
DVD
53%
 53%  [ 88 ]
BD
8%
 8%  [ 14 ]
Manga
23%
 23%  [ 39 ]
Novels
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Figures
7%
 7%  [ 13 ]
Games
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Others
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 165

egoist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
A brief explanation:
DVD - Anything related to your DVD. Like covers, etc.
BD - Same as above.
Manga - Goes without saying.
Novels - Light, visual, you name it.
Figures - Model kit included.
Games - Doesn't have to be an adaptation. As long as it's been animated [ala Japanimation] it counts. Ero games included, needless to say.
Others - Anything not listed above... posters, plushies, pens, cels, artbooks, and so on.

You're more than welcome to tell us why. I'll do so on a separate post.

Any suggestions are welcome. PM me first, and I'll ask a moderator to edit a new option in, assuming it doesn't delete current votes. But make sure to hold your vote in that case.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
For right now, most of my budget is going towards DVDs. However, I'm starting to notice that I'm turning into one of those buyers that'll pass up an initial release in hopes for a BD one. For example: I was really close to buying Sekirei until I found out it was apparently selling like gangbusters. After I heard that, I put it on hold since the odds of a BD release are now very high since that's how Funimation has set up their stupid BD policy. I don't think I'm too far off from the point where I'll stick my foot in the ground and will initially pass on DVDs of shows animated in HD and have BD releases in Japan. Although, Funimation's new release method of limited editions and items (and sometimes RACS or TRSI exclusives) makes it difficult since it's pulling at my inner collector.

I'm hopeful that both Ga-Rei Zero and King of Eden do really well in the combo packs so Funimation does it more often. I feel like that may be the only way to get most shows on BD initially since the risks are lower.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
If I were to look at my yearly expenses, then DVD would grab the trophy, but as of the beginning of 2011, I have, and will continue to spend a lot of money on figures. So far it's definitely over £600 for less than a single month and no signs of me stopping. I must say that there's a lot more pleasure than buying DVDs, since for me DVDs are inutile. I do value BDs more, but unless I'm willing to spend over $350 on a single 12 episode series (assuming there's even subtitles), the amount of what I can get is very limited.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
It used to be DVDs, but as less interesting anime got licensed, my focus has switched heavily towards manga.

I have over a dozen series going on manga, maybe closer to 2 dozen.

On the anime DVD/BD front, I recently put in a largish Funimation order, but other than that, I don't think there's anything else coming out that I'm interested in. Yet. Oh, except Antique Bakery, which I've been waiting for forever.

Figures is the only other place I really spend anything, but that is almost entirely the Kotobukiya Marvel/DC Bishoujo line, which is not really anime related.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
DVDs mostly but I'm trying to spend more on manga these days since I feel bad about neglecting it/light novels. Guess I'd better hope my local Borders doesn't close down soon!
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I been buying more dvd lately, but it still mostly manga. As a student it's easier to buy manga when they are only around $10 each, and not around $50 a set like anime. I can go in a bookstore with only $20, and still can buy a manga or two; it's also nice that the bookstore, chapters indigo that I go to has a pretty large collection of manga. I don't collect BD or figures; I do buy some light novels and games but only once in a while.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
It's manga for me, has been for a few years. I feel like I can point to my past two Otakon hauls for proof.

Otakon 2009, 35ish manga, 4 anime series, 2 movies
Otakon 2010, 56 manga, 1 single anime disc that I mooched off my friend's little sister's grab bag because she didn't want it

And I keep hitting up used bookstores and whatnot. Used bookstores are on my list of things that I cannot tell are dear allies or evil fiends who keep infuriating my wallet (along with TRSI).

That's not to say that I don't buy anime, I'll sometimes go on a massive anime splurge and get a bunch of series at once (or trade for new to me stuff). In fact I just did one and got maybe 6 new series or something? Most of them were trades though, why buy when I can trade, right? So that lowers the money I spend on anime too.

As for plushies, keychains, figurines, etc. I kinda find them to be a waste of money for me personally, I don't do anything with them, they just kinda sit there. I don't see the point in having them, I've just got a few things here and there really.

Games, like RPGs? Well I'm certainly getting Pokemon Black and Dragon Quest VI, but I spend less on them because I simply lack the motivation to really play them all that often. But yeah, I've got a few RPGs, more than I should have perhaps. Few is basically a lie, my backlog is like 20 RPGs, that's why I don't buy them anymore. Stupid buy 2 get 1 free sales....
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
For a couple of years, I started buying DVDs on the idea of retaining a collection of anime for future viewing given I've pretty much forgotten much of what I've seen since becoming a fan.

This ideology blows chunks. Given the internet, anime's always going to be accessible now (and forever), so collecting DVDs is stupid.

Therefore, I'm going back to my original love of buying figures. They may be a bit more expensive, but the quality has vastly improved over the past few years.

I've got to plan carefully. I just sold a bunch of my older figures, so trying to find a home of new figures ready to be purchased will be tricky.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:28 am Reply with quote
I would say about:

85% DVDs
-My DVD Collection is pretty huge. I have over 800 anime DVDs
9% Manga
-I don't read that much manga really. I'm only reading 9 series at the moment and they come out so infrequently.
3% Novels
-I read read about 1 or 2 ongoing anime related novel series but that's about it.
3% Games
-Mostly visual novel games. I have two or three I play once in a while.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:09 am Reply with quote
I voted Blu-ray, as its been taking a wicked amount of my disposable lately, but if I had to break it down...

45% DVD and Blu-ray. I have too many. I've got about 150 on display and 500 more boxed and on their way out. I've sold off over a 100 in the last few months, which is a very good thing.
35% Manga, novels, and artbooks. Last time I checked I had over 500 but less than half are displayed... Trying to weed out those meh titles and keep the re-readable ones.
10% Eroge and visual novels. Wish I had more time to play these Sad
10% Figures and other merch. Currently in love with Fraulein Revoltechs and Nendoroids. Pillows, towels, clocks, you name it. Lots of stupid shit that has no practical use.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:22 am Reply with quote
DVDs. Even though my collection is hella smaller than practically everybody's hear, all I have are DVDs ATM(even though I do have a couple of BDs on pre-order ATM).

PetrifiedJello wrote:
collecting DVDs is stupid.
No it's not, you and your little figures are. Razz
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
collecting DVDs is stupid.
No it's not, you and your little figures are. Razz

As an avid DVD collector, I must say that I agree with PJ. At least partially. I mean, Funimation has all of School Rumble uploaded on their Youtube account where I can watch it for free, and yet I have the entirety of the show on DVDs that I paid for. Why? It makes absolutely no sense to pay for something when you can get it for free.

Now, I say partially because there are instances where a DVD "has" to be bought. Examples include: If you're a dub fan you have to buy the DVDs since dubs are hardly ever uploaded online, at least for free. Then there's if you're a fan of good quality video and audio, since a lot of streams are pretty ugly. Perhaps you dislike watching shows on your computer (even though there are several ways to work around this...for a price). However, the biggest is probably that you can't watch everything online. Tell me where you can find Virgin Fleet online legally? How about Hellsing? So while collecting DVDs of shows that are easily available online is stupid, it's not completely inane to buy shows not available. Of course, none of this applies to me since I have a shitty internet service, leaving me almost no choice but buy DVDs.

And for your figure statement: Tell me how many people actually appreciate huge DVD collections or the shows on them? Not many, if any, outside of the fandom. Meanwhile, the tasteful, well crafted figures can easily be appreciated by non-anime fans and it doesn't even matter if the show/game/manga they're from is good. Having something on display that 100 people can enjoy is less stupid than displaying something only a few will enjoy. Not to mention, nicely displayed figures just look better than DVD collections. All this from a guy without a single figure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Are you serious? 3 good paragraphs over 1 snarky little comment? Don't get your granny panties in a twist--it was just a joke. Laughing Thought the razz and the "i no you are but wut am i" nature of that post made that clear enough. >.>

I will say some things, though.

The King of Harts wrote:
Meanwhile, the tasteful, well crafted figures can easily be appreciated by non-anime fans and it doesn't even matter if the show/game/manga they're from is good.
Uh, what? Not really. I know tons of people who would either laugh there asses off at/jinx the hell out of somebody who's room was filled with action figures(no offense to the collectors out there--ego, PJ, Blood, forgive me Sad) or just be weirded out by them. And hell, even though I probably wouldn't do that, I can't say I'd be impressed by them since I don't really understand their appeal. I mean, I've been around figure collections before, and I just took them in as being there. That's the sort of thing that a lot of people wouldn't take in as impressive, and--again, no offense to collectors--it's way more out there than just having a bunch of DVDs of shows. Far more people have large amounts of DVDs(of various types of shows, not only anime) over large amounts of figures, so DVDs aren't something that anybody is gonna treat as something too out of the ordinary. Unless, ya know, if you have a super insanely massive collection. And even then, who's gonna be freaked out by DVDs?

And, if you don't mind, I just thought I'd reinforce this before you decided to bitch about it some more--my last post was just a joke.

The King of Harts wrote:
So while collecting DVDs of shows that are easily available online is stupid
Rolling Eyes Except there's not a damn thing 'stupid' about either wanting to actually own a show you really like or just wanting to contribute more to the industry with an actual purchase rather than a stream. And some of the reasons you listed earlier were also good ones, and practically each one(plus the ones I just mentioned) apply to me.

You realize that's the kind of mentality that piraters have, right? >.>
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
(no offense to the collectors out there--ego, PJ, Blood, forgive me Sad)

There's nothing to forgive. I take great pride in giving people the willies over my collection. If I don't get a raised eyebrow or a twisted face, my collection has failed (watching service repair people enter my home is a true bonus).

This year, I start my collection of Azone dolls. I am going to get the Fate doll if I have to sell my testicles to get it.

Quote:
I can't say I'd be impressed by them since I don't really understand their appeal.

I didn't either, until a friend of mine invited me to his home for a night of poker (and thus, began my obsession). If you think stacking figures on a bookshelf is just "there", you should see this guy's collection consisting of thousands of figures set up in lit glass curio cases!

It's stunning how much a figure changes its appeal when its environment changes. Put a figure on a shelf, by itself, and it's blah. Surround it with like figures and damned if there's not an impression they're alive.

I should point out my "stupid" remark is on par with KoH's in that it is stupid to buy something that's not appreciated. No one on this planet's going to say throwing away money is smart, and that's precisely what DVD buyers do when the purchase then collects dust.

Figures, at least, look good while collecting dust. I find nothing appealing about a DVD binder (I don't keep boxes).

I enjoy my collection of figures. I can't say the same about Suzuka.

Oh, and I did get your post was a joke, so no harm done. Smile

Quote:
You realize that's the kind of mentality that piraters have, right? >.>

If it wasn't for piracy, there'd be many series missing from my DVD collection. I can't side with this statement.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I spend more of my money on DVD/BD though I do spend a good amount of money on manga.

I do appreciate figures, they are not for me mainly because I don't have any room to put them, nor do I really care for them.

I've always been more of a physical media junkie than a merchandise junkie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4