• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Two Questions

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Han Solo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I apologise if I have made the mistake of posting it in this section. I have a couple of queries regarding the rules (with all due respect of course). I must submit that I am not against the rules or have any problem with them.

Quote:
Swearing is frowned upon.

I feel a wee bit stupid for asking this but does that mean I can't swear at all. (Of course I'd never swear at a member, I mean swearing at things without intending to cause offence to anyone)

Quote:
3) Discussions should carry some measure of intelligence to them. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, do not post it. Please post detailed answers to questions; lists and one-liners do not contribute

I've never had any trouble or caused any concern regarding this rule, nor do I have an issue with it because I have a lot to say for myself, but why can't you tolerate things such as listing things without giving substance? (e.g I list my top 5 favouite anime without giving a reason why I like them)

If you're irritated with what I asked then I'm sorry. But since I've seen alot of people get told off for breaking Rule Three, then maybe perhaps clarify why it is an important rule. I actually wouldn't mind knowing myself because I've seen a lot of forums that don't mind. Once again I'm not saying your rules are wrong nor am I attacking them, afterall if I did have a problem then I'd do the sensible thing and stop posting and quit this forum! Razz

Thanks!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a mod or admin, but I can say I very much appreciate the "no lists without explanation" rule. I can't imagine anything more boring than somebody listing their 10 fave anime (for example) without bothering to explain why they feel that way. To me, the benefit of that rule is pretty self-evident for a site that actively encourages thoughtful discussion.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
And I'm not a mod/admin either, but I can tell you that I swear all the f**king time, and I've never been punished for it. Very Happy

Of course, now a mod/admin is gonna see this post and totally screw me over for it, but, hell, dem's da breaks. Laughing
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Generally if vulgar language isn't excessive or done in a manner that seems particularly aggressive or negative then it's not going to be a big deal. Still, we don't encourage it and it may well be edited as this is a site that caters to large age groups. So yes, it's frowned upon and it may result in your post being cleaned up, but as long as you aren't being ridiculous then some mods tossing some *'s in to your post is likely the worst that will happen. Of course if you insult people with vulgar language and act aggressive and swear every sentence then that might be cause for greater action.

The purpose of rule 3 is to simply drive discussion. This is a discussion forum, but listing doesn't really encourage discussion in any way. It is simply believed that if someone wishes to come on to the forum to share their viewpoints then they could at least provide a sentence or two at the very least explaining why they feel that way. Otherwise you just get posts that have no substance and little real interaction between users.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anijunk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Quote:
Generally if vulgar language isn't excessive or done in a manner that seems particularly aggressive or negative then it's not going to be a big deal. Still, we don't encourage it and it may well be edited as this is a site that caters to large age groups. So yes, it's frowned upon and it may result in your post being cleaned up, but as long as you aren't being ridiculous then some mods tossing some *'s in to your post is likely the worst that will happen.

If you toss in some *'s in a text to replace an implicit, I prefer the complete word being removed. Had the ideas of requesting this after seeing one member doing it in 3 threat entries on one page. and in this one he does it again.

And there is no need to do it. It shows some immorality of such members.

I use a lot of foul language too, but not in written text. Perhaps only when I rant.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote
anijunk wrote:
And there is no need to do it. It shows some immorality of such members.
Hey, buddy, I have plenty of morals. It's just faster for me to asterisk a letter or two as opposed to an entire word, so I do it. Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1