• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Downloaded Sora no Otoshimono Copy Shown at Funimation Studio

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Seeing gg as a news source is a little odd, but that's where I had read it, too. (I don't normally go directly to fansub group sites, I don't even remember what I was looking for)

Kinda odd that they wouldn't disable the subs in a dub session, seems like it would be distracting.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
While practical, I think this may be a little inconsistent with their promotion of IP law. But as for me I think that inconsistency is just another sign that IP is a flawed notion in the first place. Take the best distribution channel you can get by all means. I just wish the exercise of state granted privileges wasn't seen as some inalienable right.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
well if its hard-subbed there is nothing they can do about it. anyways it sound reasonable why they would use it. but that won't stop people from blowing it out of proportion.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I first heard about it on twitter, but since Daiz posted the news to our own forums in more detail I'm not sure why we're linking to a fansub site ^^;
The use of "bittorrent release" in the article is slightly misleading since, while HS do distribute by bittorrent they also provide direct downloads via file sharing sites (and I hope FUNimation used the latter since otherwise they would also be distributing the file via BT themselves while downloading...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hikaricore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Seeing gg as a news source is a little odd, but that's where I had read it, too. (I don't normally go directly to fansub group sites, I don't even remember what I was looking for)

You don't gotta lie..
No one but elitest twats care if you watch fansubs.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
To frame it another way:

News: FUNimation Caught Exercising its Rights on Video

So.....yeah. There really isn't much to say on this that isn't superfluous.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Funimation caught exercising it's rights on video that it received through an unofficial distribution channel that exists only due to the copying of data from another licensor (Crunchyroll) which was against IP law.

Still legal? Sure. Practical? Absolutely. Moral? Definitely yes. If they wouldn't mind CR doing it I suppose you might even say it's not inconsistent with their ideas. But the whole fact that it's only possible because of the violation of IP law occurring in the first place makes it interesting.

When the industry finds it best to use something that it wouldn't have without infringement, I can't help but find that funny.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
well if its hard-subbed there is nothing they can do about it. anyways it sound reasonable why they would use it. but that won't stop people from blowing it out of proportion.

It's not. All of HS's (and CR's subs) are softsubbed.
Funi's streams are hardsubbed.

Xanas wrote:
But the whole fact that it's only possible because of the violation of IP law occurring in the first place makes it interesting.

When the industry finds it best to use something that it wouldn't have without infringement, I can't help but find that funny.

yeah, definitely ironic to say the least

Now if only such contracts would include obtaining creditless/textless OP and EDs (e.g. Birdy Decode situation) from other sources....

Last edited by configspace on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
maylo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
This is however illegal, they used a commercial font (Amira) that horriblesubs used as the font in that release. Which they highly unlikely had a licence for since they have never used that font, and would unlikely just have a license for so called "occasional usage" of fansub releases. The usage of a commercial font without a license is no different than downloading an anime or a Hollywood movie, and both are equal in copyright law. By using that font, that was bundled in the mkv, funimation is just as bad as anyone who downloads anime, and would be equally held accountable under the law if they do not have a license for it. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited by maylo on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
JuicyB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Big deal, everyone watches fansubs. The real question here, is when the hell is Funi gonna release the box set for this series?
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Lol at this.

Lol even harder at the fact that it's a headline story on ANN!
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Well if Funi didn't sit on there show for a year or 2 maybe it wouldnt be a problem
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well if Funi didn't sit on there show for a year or 2 maybe it wouldnt be a problem

yeah always wondered why such long delays. Many of their titles seem to take 2 years until retail release, sometimes even 3 (RxJ). Only a few come as quickly as FMA:B, which is more like an exception.

Now Sentai/S23 on the other hand is refreshingly fast
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
They are a small company dubbing a ton of anime, so they tend to only quickly release popular anime like FMA, Dragonball and Sgt. Frog.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
Hi-f**king-larious.

Don't get me wrong, I get it. An MKV is probably far easier to work with in a real-world recording studio than a Digibeta these days.

But it still makes FUNi look foolish, what with all the suing they were getting ready to do for very similar subrips, and all the pleading they've done with consumers to only watch official streams.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10