• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I cant find information about how to unregister and quit ANN

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loaded1mbimagee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

I cant find any information about how to unregister/delete account and quit ANN. If some admin reads this, feel free to delete my account!

You should add this to the "register account" part in your FAQ.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I believe it's somewhere on the FAQ. You can't. Actually, what's even the point in doing that? If you're not happy with them having your information, change it on your profile and forget the account exists.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I believe it's somewhere on the FAQ. You can't. Actually, what's even the point in doing that? If you're not happy with them having your information, change it on your profile and forget the account exists.

Here is the link Loaded1mbimagee animenewsnetwork.com/faq.

But to answer your question, you can't delete your account. But like Egoist, I too wonder what's the point of doing that. If for some reason you are concerned about any information you might have shared, then you can easily change said information. And then after that, you can just forget your account exists and move on with life.

But let me ask you point blank Loaded1mbimagee, before you registered here (or maybe during or afterwards) do you thoroughly read the FAQ (also known as Frequently asked Questions) at the bottom of this website? There is a reason why most website's include FAQ's.

The information you seek is most certainly there and is quite easy to locate. But I am going to tell you straight up, considering this website is not as widely known as let's say Facebook, myspace or Twitter, I can't imagine too many non anime/manga fans would bother to read what other complete strangers have to say. Now that isn't to say that it doesn't happen, but why would someone who isn't interested in anime or manga at all waste their time on a hobby that does not interest them at all?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Yes, as mentioned there is no specific means to unregistering an account once it is created. There is simply no real reason to do it since you can simply wipe your account info and then never use the account again, there's otherwise no benefit to removing it from the system. Once an account is created entries are placed in the database for it and it becomes a part of the system, particularly if you've posted or made use of any of the account related features. It's simply not as easy as you'd think to clear it out and isn't worth the trouble since there's no reason to bother doing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Logically, there's no reason to really care about deleting your ANN account. We don't store any information about you other than the really minor info you submit. And you can actually change that info yourself if you want.

However, it has become accepted that it is a reasonable right that people should be able to delete their online accounts on any website/service. This right is important when it comes to sites like Google or Facebook...

That said, there is a technical difficulty go ANN to delete accounts. It screws things up if the person has made submissions to the Encyclopedia.

We've identified how to work around this issue, and we will be addressing it in the coming year with a new user system.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1