• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: America's 2009 Anime Market Pegged at US$2.741 Billion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:04 am Reply with quote
Number of licensed lolies in 2010: zero.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:42 am Reply with quote
I am pretty sure that's not the answer on how to save the anime industry. Personally I think it's only a matter of time before the anime industry collapses. There is simply not enough people willing to make even miniscule sacrifices like watching anime on hulu instead of downloading it.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:46 am Reply with quote
I find it more telling at how the anime goods market seemed to stay fairly consistent these past several years. It's kinda difficult to torrent and download a body pillow. Wink Companies like Toylet or Toyslogic or Hobbyfan certainly have gotten enough of my money over the years, I'm surprised Japanese companies haven't explored this option more themselves.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
I find it more telling at how the anime goods market seemed to stay fairly consistent these past several years. It's kinda difficult to torrent and download a body pillow. Wink Companies like Toylet or Toyslogic or Hobbyfan certainly have gotten enough of my money over the years, I'm surprised Japanese companies haven't explored this option more themselves.

I think that has more to do with the fact that Pokemon has held steady after the fad ended in 2003.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Personally I think it's only a matter of time before the American anime industry collapses.

Fixed. Not that I agree with this altruist Messiah-ism, though.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
"There were 630 minutes of anime on over-the-air broadcast television in the month of March of 2010, 2.1 times more than the 300 hours of anime in the same month in 2007."

630 minutes > 300 hours? There's a mistake there somewhere. I suspect it should be 630 hours since 630 minutes is 10.5 hours, less than the monthly anime airing of CW alone. Although 630 hours does seem high.

I would like to see the comparison between the number of NEW or first run anime shows compared to the number of repeats. While there might be more anime on TV in 2010, the number of repeated shows would be much greater. And a number of those repeats today seem to be shows that were airing new episodes in 2007. This is probably why it seems as if there was more anime in 2007.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote
Wow. It was really interesting to finally see some figures. It makes sense, but I never would have guessed how much of the marked was merchandising and not DVDs.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:19 am Reply with quote
Wow sales go down as unemployment goes up shocker.

I bought no anime in 2010 due to losing my job on january 8th 2010, my previous employers idea of a belated christmas present though one I could have done without.

I am attempting to make up a bit this year with summer wars, both new eva movies, both genshiken tv series, both gunbuster ova's, sword of the stranger (only bought it cause i enjoyed it after seeing a torrent) and FLCL bought so far this year. Of course after spending some off my money not on bills my new job is talking about redundencies at the end of may. yay /s
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Personally I think it's only a matter of time before the AMERICAN anime industry collapses.

There, I fixed that for you.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:35 am Reply with quote
You really think the anime industry can sustain itself only in Japan? They have a shrinking population, and mainstream hits are few and far between.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:39 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
You really think the anime industry can sustain itself only in Japan?

Yes. We call it importing.

Quote:
They have a shrinking population,

That's because they have yet to clone me. My horniness is over nine thousand. Dude, this factory is more productive tahn Lotte Mocchan's 1000 male harem.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote
Ouch this is not good to see, but I sort of expected this. I do hope it starts to turn around things get better for the US anime industry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
You really think the anime industry can sustain itself only in Japan?

Yes. We call it importing.

Quote:
They have a shrinking population,

That's because they have yet to clone me. My horniness is over nine thousand. Dude, this factory is more productive tahn Lotte Mocchan's 1000 male harem.

If people refuse to buy anime for 30-40 dollars for 13-26 episodes what makes you think they're going to buy anime for 60-80 dollars for two episodes in a language they don't understand.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
If people refuse to buy anime for 30-40 dollars for 13-26 episodes what makes you think they're going to buy anime for 60-80 dollars for two episodes in a language they don't understand.

Why are you talking about anime? Did you check the chart? DVDs mean crap in the American market. People import anime merchandise from Japan, and that's no news.

There you go. Fansubs issue easily solved. Offer physical anime merchandise. Even pirates can't make their TV give birth to a real figure.
Shale

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:52 am Reply with quote
Import? No, they buy Pokemon dolls released in the US by Nintendo and its licensees.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6