• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Biglobe Poll: Which Anime Director Do You Follow

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Eh, wow. I know I've always liked Shinbo's works. But I didn't think he was that good. Some of these are pretty surprising. Do these results mean that a director's following is influenced more on their frequency than their notability?

Admittedly, for Satoshi Kon's case, it would be pretty hard to follow someone to their grave.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Guess it's more a case of "what have you done for me lately?" Laughing
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I follow anime shows, not anime directors. If the show is good, I'll watch it without regard to whomever directed it.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting this came up, because just lately I was thinking about this. Usually I watch shows based on whether or not the concept interests me. But, in some cases, there are directors who have "proven themselves" through past works enough that I'll actually seek out other things they've done. When I do this, the results have actually been pretty positive - even if I don't love their other series, I usually am always glad I've watched them.

I follow Goro Taniguchi and Kenichi Kasai in this way, and lately, I've become interested in Masaki Yuasa and have been hunting down his major works (none of which are licensed for NA release as of yet). I just recently watched his "Mind Game" film, and it was a real trip; it really showcased the exuberance of the medium of animation. Kemonozume is up next.

Although it's no guarantee of goodness, sometimes there really are directors whose sensibilities are a really good match with what you like to see, and seeing projects they've worked on might show you something interesting you would never have seen otherwise. I watched the Kimikiss anime based solely on the fact that Kenichi Kasai directed it, and while I didn't think it was an amazing series, it was actually far better than I would have expected an anime based on a dating sim to be, largely due to some key directorial choices (like splitting one main character into two people and making them friends, so as to avoid the harem feel and have the interactions spread out and feel more natural).

But really...Yamakan as #2? Do Japanese fans really like Kannagi and Fractale that much? Neutral

Last edited by ittoujuu on Fri May 13, 2011 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
How the frack is Hiroyuki Imaishi not on that list? I don't follow directors either, but I will give anything his name is attached to a look. Yamakan has freaking Fractle, Kannagi, and got fired from Lucky Star. Imaishi has Gurren Lagann, Panty and Stocking, Dead Leaves, and did the key animation work for basically every slick action scene you've seen come from Gainax since he started working there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I think some people might be following Yamakan just to see what crazy thing he does next. He's like watching a trainwreck.

Personally, the one director I follow is Junichi Sato. I love magical girls and slice of life, so it only makes sense that I adore his work.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
D'oh! I would've loved to comment on that survey....

Still, I'm not surprised at some of the choices. Ah, well, surveys are fun.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
How the frack is Hiroyuki Imaishi not on that list?

Exactly what I was thinking.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I think Shinbo is one that I actually follow, and then most other anime I seek for it's own character and story. But this has been accidental until recently.

Essentially what I noticed was there were shows where I really like the look and feel of them... and then eventually discovered that they had the same director. This started with the second Negima. While I also liked the original Negima, I liked the LOOK and feel of the second one. It was later watching Moonphase that I looked up the director, and went "huh"...

Then Natsu No Arashi, and "Ya'know, the stuff this guy does, is worth it to me." But that's the reason I follow his stuff, because of the interesting look. Shinkai on the other hand, I strarted following after Voices... I didn't watch stuff and notice it was the same director, I sought out his work right away.

This is not to say there aren't many worthy directors, nor that there aren't many things that I like in spite of their direction... But those two, I seek their work, feeling that they won't let me down.
Akukame

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I follow anime shows, not anime directors. If the show is good, I'll watch it without regard to whomever directed it.

There are certain genre where the director doesn't necessarily matter. If you're into shounen action shows, you'll probably watch and like whatever shounen action show is going on.

But for other series, the director probably speaks more for whether you will like a show than any other factor. Obviously you might like a show by a director you weren't normally interested in, or you may not like a show by a director you are intersted in. But, as a whole, if you like a couple Shinbo works, more than likely whatever his new show is during a season, you'll like that too. Even if that show is outside of your normal genre.

Lets give an example. Lets say you like Ouran and magical girl shows like Sailor Moon and Ojamajo Doremi. Igarashi directed Ouran and Ojamajo and parts of Sailor moon. So, not long ago, Bones put it a shounen mecha action show called Star Driver, directed by Igarashi. You may not have any interest in this genre, but, more than likely, if you were a fan of Igarashi's other works, you would have liked Star Driver.

I'm interested in Fate/Zero, although I wasn't a huge fan of Fate/Stay Night, because its directed by Ei Aoki. On the flip side, I'm very worried the Persona 4 anime is going to be horrible, because its directed by Kishi, the same guy that directed Ragnarok the Animation. Although Kishi also did some great works like Angel Beats, his works tend to be more inconsistent.

EDIT: For reference, I wouldn't really say I follow any particular directors. But, I'm the kind of person that normally spends an hour or two before an anime season looking over what series are coming out. I make a lot of my decisions on what to check out based on directors, screenplay writers, and production studios.
braves

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
How the frack is Hiroyuki Imaishi not on that list? I don't follow directors either, but I will give anything his name is attached to a look. Yamakan has freaking Fractle, Kannagi, and got fired from Lucky Star. Imaishi has Gurren Lagann, Panty and Stocking, Dead Leaves, and did the key animation work for basically every slick action scene you've seen come from Gainax since he started working there.
Well, your last statement is, uh, not true, but I definitely agree with you on Imaishi's absence. Imaishi is by far my favorite series director (Atsushi Wakabayashi is above him for his episodic work) and I'm really surprised that he's not on the list.

The poll is also hilarious in that it includes Hiroshi Hamasaki. Hamasaki's one of my favorites, but I'm sure that he's on the list purely for co-directing Steins; Gate. Can't imagine anybody who answered this survey actually following him due to his work on Texhnolyze and Shigurui.

Quote:
There are certain genre where the director doesn't necessarily matter. If you're into shounen action shows, you'll probably watch and like whatever shounen action show is going on.

I would disagree with this pretty strongly. Even on straight up Shonen Jump adaptations, the directorial staff is just as important as any other show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
As far as director I "follow", I would say Junichi Sato and Tatsuyuki Nagai are tops for me. I'm always at least somewhat interested when I see their names attached to a show. I've liked SatoJun for many years since he makes the kind of series I really enjoy, and still the case recently (with Tamayura).
rti9

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
2. Yutaka Yamamoto

Online polls are almost always a joke, but this one is simply ridiculous. Nice one, Biglobe voters.
Akukame

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Quote:

I would disagree with this pretty strongly. Even on straight up Shonen Jump adaptations, the directorial staff is just as important as any other show.

To me atleast, though this may be my own personal decision, but many of the morning shows are very manufactured. Though, this could just be my cynicism talking.

I'm not saying that all shows are like this, but its the feeling I get from long running shounen shows. Something like Soul Eater (Igarashi) or other relatively shorter series may be different. But something along the lines of Bleach or Naruto falls into this. Regardless of the director, a shounen jump anime is going to appeal to people that like shounen jump anime.

Lets use an analog. Disney has a very specific style for their animated movies. It doesn't matter who worked on them, they have investors and people expecting a certain type of product. So, it doesn't matter who is working on it, an animated Disney movie is still going to appeal to people that like animated Disney movies.

rti9 wrote:
Quote:
2. Yutaka Yamamoto

Online polls are almost always a joke, but this one is simply ridiculous. Nice one, Biglobe voters.

I don't see why that is ridiculous. I mean, those crazy otaku love Lucky Star and Kannagi. He also did the live action film Watashi no Yasashikunai Sempai. Though I don't know if that did well.
braves

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Akukame wrote:

I get what you're saying. There's no doubt that for every shonen show, as long as the manga was popular in the first place, the show will be widely consumed by the already established fanbase regardless of whoever is charge. As long as they mostly adapt the manga panel for panel, the consumers of the manga will pretty much stick around for the anime. But I personally expect a bit more than that from an adaptation if I've already read the manga, particularly when it comes to the episodic staff that can be brought on board by the director, so that's why I disagreed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2