• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Chikyu Misaki

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
All you really needed to tell me about this manga was that it was written by Yuji Iwahara. After King of Thorn, I am game for anything he's written.
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Thank you muchly for this great review of Chikyu Misaki! It's one of my most favorite manga (partly because of the great story, and partly because of its charm).
When CMX went under recently, a lot of people wondered which manga they licensed that were worth reading.
My answer was Chikyu Misaki (and Gon)!!
Very Happy
Jure

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:13 am Reply with quote
Great article as always. I love Yuji Iwahara, he is one of my favorite authors and I bought all of his manga that are translated on English. It's a bit funny that all three of them are from different publishers and two of those publishers are now gone. And I definitely agree that his artwork is amazing. Even though I liked King of Thorn more, Chikyu Misaki is definitely worth reading.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:36 am Reply with quote
Oh this looks so cute! Is it really hard to find now? All I could find was an ebay listing that only ships to US Anime cry
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote
Thank you so much for this last year of wonderful reviews! I've enjoyed all 52 installments of "House of 1000 Manga"; it's helped me discover a lot of gems that I'd never heard of or overlooked, and reminded me of my love for my longtime favorites. I look forward to another excellent year!
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
one of the best, most original little three-volume manga series I've ever read.

I read this a few years ago and was really impressed with all the unusual twists and turns the story takes. It really is a gem.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
A fantastic review! It really makes me want to find the title and read it. I would love to see it made into a movie or single season TV series, since 3 volumes can be done very well in a single season!
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow.. this looks like yet another perfect recommendation for me, as Monster Collection was. Thanks so much for this column- it's become a valuable resource for me! I hope I can track this title down!

I'm also reminded of the old anime, Coo, which also featured an adorable plesiosaur.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Genten

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh Jason, you've just reminded me that Chikyu Misaki sits uncompleted and alone on my shelf. I only own the first two despite coming across the third volume many times in bookstores. Now that so many years have passed since I first collected the series I'm afraid I'll never find the last volume. Crying or Very sad

Despite that depressing revelation I'm happy that someone has found and enjoyed this little gem as much as I have. Chikyu Misaki made me into such an Iwahara fangirl. I've read and own nearly everything of his released in the US.

It's interesting that he had a deal with Marvel to produce a comic. I really would have loved to see Quest.

ss-hikaru wrote:
Oh this looks so cute! Is it really hard to find now? All I could find was an ebay listing that only ships to US Anime cry

While I can't speak for Australia, living in the US myself, I think the book has been out of print for quite some time and is probably hard to find. Out of curiousity, does that eBay listing have the three volumes as a bundle or are they seperate books?
Truered

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Add another person who enjoyed that series. I bought it last year (I think) while in another one of my "I want a new series, but not a long one, or not fully published one" and picked up this along with a couple of other short series. Was quite pleased with it as I wasn't expecting too much from a three volume series, but I got quite a cute and fun story Very Happy
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. More money to spend. My tax refund is depleting much much faster than I had planned with TP going under and this column.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Genten wrote:
ss-hikaru wrote:

While I can't speak for Australia, living in the US myself, I think the book has been out of print for quite some time and is probably hard to find. Out of curiousity, does that eBay listing have the three volumes as a bundle or are they seperate books?

Ahh I see. Being from Australia, I've never really known or heard much about CMX titles, until it was much too late of course *sigh* The ebay listing has all three volumes plus (all?) 4 volumes of King of Thorn. It's a bidding listing rather than a buy now listing but the price at the moment is quite decent. If it were only Chikyu Misaki I'd consider using a shipping service to get it, but I have no use for and no interest in King of Thorn, so the cost and effort isn't worth it (imo). Time to include Chikyu Misaki on my 'to buy when I get decent in Japanese' list...
Ian K

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Rightstuf apparently still has all three volumes still in stock.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:34 am Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
Rightstuf apparently still has all three volumes still in stock.

oh what?! Thanks so much Ian K! I'm definitely gonna pick those up with my next order *crosses fingers that they'll still be in stock*
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
Two of them have the status "More Arriving Soon" which I'm not sure what that means. I don't know if they have a secret stash or something since CMX has been closed for what, a year now?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2