• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Onward, Otakon!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh Geez, even after eating three sushi rolls (sooo good, but sooo full), Andrea's smoked turkey sandwich still sounds heavenly.

I had something else to say with regards to actual anime, but it kinda left my mind after her description *drool*... and I'm normally and tuna/chicken salad person myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Really nice section on VIZ Media and the decreased episode count. Though they at one time with Bleach were putting in 20 episodes, and then 16.

Still it isn't really the biggest deal and much better than the days of singles as you said (Though not as bad as what the Japanese pay.). VIZ Media is experiencing harsh times (It's also notable from what's happening to Shonen Jump.). As long as we're getting the episodes and they're getting dubbed, that's all that matters. And I mean with Naruto Shippuden, you already were getting 3 discs for 4 box sets. You're still getting that many.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I had missed the bonus question, having no particular ideas on overlooked anime and manga from the past two years, other than that I've probably overlooked some good ones.

But, sandwiches!

The best sandwich varies according to the state of the eater. In earlier times this would mean the balance of the humors, or maybe of yin versus yang. Right now, for me, I'd like a Reuben sandwich, but with the saurkraut replaced by kimchee.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm fairly certain it's 12 episodes, and people are just counting it wrong.
ice9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
My only issue with streaming and "the cloud" is that I have no control over when I lose access to a series. Anime is particularly difficult to bring back in any form once a license has expired or the the disc has gone out of print, so the idea that I could wake up and discover that Cross Game is no longer available in any legal format outside of Japan and most likely never will be is a little disturbing. (PS: Viz: I'll lay down my money on a pre-order if you give Cross Game a dvd release). Physical Media isn't necessarily a must - a digital copy is fine - but having control over your collection is vital.

Also: I actually read this while eating a sandwich.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:

They're talking about Naruto Shippuden box 7, which is eps 78-88. Leaving off that one episode cuts off the last episode of the Shikamaru story arc, right before it goes into filler-ish material again. (Which is likely what Viz intended. Trap a canon wrap-up episode in with horrible filler to get people to actually buy it.)
rowsdower

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for dropping some stone-cold necessary truth on the Viz section, Brian. I have absolutely zero sympathy for the Shounen Jump fans who are whining because Viz dropped two episodes from those series' boxed sets. At least those series are actually getting released while my favorite show of all time has lingered for nearly two years with one measly 15-episode box set and 59 episodes remaining in unreleased limbo.
victor viper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And that's to say nothing of the luddites out there, myself included, who prefer owning a tangible, physical copy of something. Something that is ours, ours alone, that we can watch whenever and wherever we want.

Amen, Answerman.

Streaming is fine for titles that I'll watch once and never think about again (for instance, there's a bright green box titled 'Wandaba Style' sitting on my DVD shelf staring at me while I write this), but anything that seriously captures my interest needs a physical copy. For instance, you'd have to pry my Eva Platinum discs from my cold, dead hands even if the cable company, Netflix and Amazon were all streaming it indefinitely.

I agree that it's all about ownership. When I buy a DVD, book, or CD I can do whatever I please with it within the bounds of property law for the rest of my life---keep it, give it away to spread the gospel, use it as a coaster, or resell it to someone else (although some game publishers seem to be actively trying to thwart the latter). Imagine if you 'bought' some digital content from a now-defunct anime or game publisher; either it's gone forever or you're forced to rebuy the content that you already 'own'. Yes, physical formats come and go, but rebuying in a new format (VHS vs. DVD for instance) at least potentially adds some utility to the product.

If that makes me a luddite, then so be it.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm longing for a sandwich. Andrea, well done.

Hm, now we cannot discuss about the question for the next column. So, next column will have no Answerfans? Maybe you could post an extra message next week on the news page, with the new question.
Just an idea. No biggie if you ignore me.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I was actually thinking about Erin when I saw the question since I just recently saw someone on another forum (who is just now watching the series) admitting that it seems silly about how they were complaining about how little exposure Cross Game got at the time when compared to Erin.

Oh and the perfect sandwich is a BLT sub, Italian bread, with avocado, cucumbers and ranch dressing or mayo. A bit on the simple side but oh my god I wish my school's sub shop had avocado so I could have these all the time.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
ZakuAce wrote:

They're talking about Naruto Shippuden box 7, which is eps 78-88. Leaving off that one episode cuts off the last episode of the Shikamaru story arc, right before it goes into filler-ish material again. (Which is likely what Viz intended. Trap a canon wrap-up episode in with horrible filler to get people to actually buy it.)

EXCEPT that filler arc also has canon material in it, so it's not like Viz is forcing you to watch something completely irrelevant.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Upscale BD's from SD sources can look better than their DVD counterparts if they are done right. Haven't seen one that I though was a bad upscale myself but it doesn't seem to be a issue too much in the US releases anymore. The native HD stuff looks AMAZING from what I have that is native HD and seen that is native HD.

Don't really eat sandwiches too much any more but I've really wanted to try a real Italian and potato sandwich. I've always been a lover of a good reuben sandwich.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Story time about sandwiches:

A couple years ago me and the art class I was in were going to Richmond to have some of our art hung up in some building. Since Richmond is forever away it was going to be an all day field trip and we were going to hit up local food shops for lunch.

So, it's lunch time and we head off to some sandwich shop to get some food. This being Richmond and all, the line was huge with the people there and my art class. I don't like many types of sandwiches because I can't stand deli meats other than bologna and my cheese tastes are limited. Unfortunately there were no bologna sandwich options (BLASPHEMY!), but they did have an option for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Awesome!

Everyone ahead of me is ordering these fancy sandwiches with special toppings, and it's my turn. I walk up to the lady, she asks what I want, and I say with a pokerface, "I'd like a PB&J please". The entire shop falls dead silent until one of the sandwich makers just erupts into laughter, which was followed by everyone else within the vicinity laughing as well. I'm not oblivious, so I know it is a tad odd to go to a sandwich shop and ask for a PB&J, and I'm also a good sport, so I laughed with everyone. Though I still argue that if it's on the menu there shouldn't be any issues.

However, the lady crossed the line. She asked what type of jelly I wanted, which is a reasonable question to ask. I answered grape. But then, then she has the gall to ask me if I want my bread toasted. I wanted to slap her. Who the hell toasts the bread to their PB&J? And if you say you do, I won't believe you because people don't do that. This woman is mocking me, I can tell. However, I somewhat kept my cool by responding, "No, ma'am, I'm normal, so I would just like normal bread with no hills please." That same sandwich maker started chuckling again after that response.

I step aside, I watch the man make my sandwich (which took about 10 seconds), and then handed over my money. I paid $6 for humiliation and a sandwich that wasn't even that good.

What can I say? I'm a man of simple tastes.
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I made the switch to Blu-ray two years ago and haven't bought a dvd since then. Upscale or not, if it isn't on Blu-ray I'm not buying it.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Who the hell toasts the bread to their PB&J? And if you say you do, I won't believe you because people don't do that.

I do, not that you believe me since you've already stated such, but a toasted PB&J is so much better than an untoasted one. The peanut butter gets nice and melty, it gets all over your hands and face. Just the way a PB&J should be!

Personally, I'm quite partial to a good Philly cheesesteak. It's such a simple thing, but so few actually get it right. Lobster rolls are also fantastic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3