• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Iron Man, Wolverine's U.S. Debuts Moved Up to This Saturday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
Hmmm...this doesn't seem like a "regular" timeslot, but more of a "sneak peek" timeslot, as there is no equivalent for it on 7/30/11. Then again, they might pick it back up with 8/6/11. More Anime on Saturday! Yay! But wait, what's this? It has a few "repeat" slots:

The aforementioned 11 p.m. Friday 7/29/11
Sunday 7/31/11 7 a.m. & 11 p.m.
Monday 8/1/11 3 p.m.

(All times Eastern)
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
Wow that early but in my reason Iron Man is not worth watching at all but Wolverine that one I will watch
ScrappedAeon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
Too bad DirecTV dropped G4 cause they're a terrible station aside from random nuggets like this.

Still, I assume they'll get a DVD/BD release eventually.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure this is part celebrating SDCC and part trying to please the Otakon crowd that will miss this next week.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
More Anime on Saturday! Yay!

It's like Saturday Toonami again! Laughing
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
more anime on saturdays really i think anime really like their saturdays.

give bit ugh is that still got peter petrelli as wolverine still going WHY on it?

also hear his voice in like 3 of 4 marvel (yea assume x-men got his in unless recast on it).
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Well this should make my Saturday nights suck a little less for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Wow that early but in my reason Iron Man is not worth watching at all but Wolverine that one I will watch
Maybe if the dub is hilarious while still pertinent, because the Japanese version was atrocious.

It's a C-rate samurai movie with Wolverine thrown in. Who needs mutants when we have "ancient samurai masters" (who are also international mobsters) with such sword skill that they are already preternatural? I ask you, and you'll be asking the same thing after you see the first episode. The first episode alone was also rife with Deus Ex Machina Sad It's a crying shame that one of the best X-men is treated like this. Crying or Very sad
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe if the dub is hilarious while still pertinent, because the Japanese version was atrocious.

A dub that tries to be more comical and keep the story would just complete the trifecta of bad by making it a "C-rate samurai movie with Wolverine and comedy thrown in".
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

A dub that tries to be more comical and keep the story would just complete the trifecta of bad by making it a "C-rate samurai movie with Wolverine and comedy thrown in".
A weird-looking & comparatively tall "wolverine" having to fight samurai mafia who have over-the-top abilities with swords (without being mutants IIRC), combined with all of Wolverine's enemies conveniently have ways to negate his mutant powers is already pretty comical. The melodrama in the Japanese acting is just icing on the metaphorical cake. However, it's a "sad funny" instead of a "ROFL funny". A dub could give it that extra push, and/or maybe make the series worth watching. But I won't be holding my breath.

Wolverine the anime is made by the same studio which made Rainbow, and the art and cheesy melodrama have carried over. It doesn't help that the guy voicing Wolverine in Japanese voiced a character in Rainbow who could be better called the King of Melodrama.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wolverine the anime is made by the same studio which made Rainbow, and the art and cheesy melodrama have carried over. It doesn't help that the guy voicing Wolverine in Japanese voiced a character in Rainbow who could be better called the King of Melodrama.

Don't. Seriously don't.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

It's a C-rate samurai movie with Wolverine thrown in. Who needs mutants when we have "ancient samurai masters" (who are also international mobsters) with such sword skill that they are already preternatural? I ask you, and you'll be asking the same thing after you see the first episode. The first episode alone was also rife with Deus Ex Machina Sad It's a crying shame that one of the best X-men is treated like this. Crying or Very sad

Wow, all of a sudden, this worries me...
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
A weird-looking & comparatively tall "wolverine" having to fight samurai mafia who have over-the-top abilities with swords (without being mutants IIRC), combined with all of Wolverine's enemies conveniently have ways to negate his mutant powers is already pretty comical.

Didn't that happen in the comics, though?
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I was a little disappointed by the "Wolverine" anime...too tall...too bishi...the "X-Men" anime is better, IMO.

Of course, I will be buying it when it is available for purchase...d'oh...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1