• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Final Fantasy XIV to Let Players Ride, Own Chocobo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spoofer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
lol, I'm sorry, but this is the most random, out of place ANN update I believe I've ever seen.

Such a specific bit of info for one of the biggest MMO failures of all time? Something that is already a feature in numerous FF games, including the previous FF MMO? I don't see how this particular tidbit stands out from most other countless MMO update notes, let alone major news about upcoming hyped games that actually stand a shot at success, especially on a site like ANN.

But that's just me I guess...

On topicish: No matter how much SE continues to try to make FFXIV into FFXI, the damage has been done and there's basically no way this game is ever going to recover.
aereus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be so sure. The launch was indeed terrible, but they may still be able to salvage it for their home market. The majority of Japanese players of FF11 did so on the PS2 if I'm not mistaken. They've been revamping their combat system to include auto-attacks, eliminated the stamina system, etc.

I'm not sure how far they plan to take the revamps before making a PS3 release. Part of the biggest issues to me were the terrible map design for Gridania and some other areas, which are unlikely to be redone. And just an overall lack of immersion in the world due to everything happening out of the main cities and 1 camp per area.

High level of immersion was one of the great selling points of FF11, and something sorely lacking in FF14 as mentioned above.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
People need to stop being pessimistic. If XIV had been well-received at launch, you would be paying for it right now, and SE wouldn't be implementing fan ideas.

I like to think of XIV as an extensive beta test.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Murder She wrote:

Naoki Yoshida, a member of the development team for Square Enix's Final Fantasy IV massively multi-player online role-playing game....

XIV

I know people are tired of "Everything" X but.... Laughing
Amiantos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow most out of place article ever ANN.

There's still a market for ffxiv and I'm fairly sure once the ps3 version launches we'll see a new explosion of players coming to check it out. The game is a pretty different beast from when it launched a year ago. 1.19 and 1.20 are redoing class and battle algorithms and revising level system with a bunch more stuff. Once they get it to a respectable point I can see it becoming as popular as ffxi but won't ever reach that WoW killer stage people were hoping it would. That and stupid high pc specs didn't help it either which is why ps3 version may be its saving grace.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
There's still a market for ffxiv and I'm fairly sure once the ps3 version launches we'll see a new explosion of players coming to check it out.
Those poor saps.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
That and stupid high pc specs didn't help it either which is why ps3 version may be its saving grace.

For doing what? My horribly obsolete system ran the open beta just fine (usually, and not my fault when it didn't.)

@Jaymie: there is nothing wrong with an extensive beta test... except charging people to be a part of it.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Amiantos wrote:
That and stupid high pc specs didn't help it either which is why ps3 version may be its saving grace.

For doing what? My horribly obsolete system ran the open beta just fine (usually, and not my fault when it didn't.)

@Jaymie: there is nothing wrong with an extensive beta test... except charging people to be a part of it.

Good thing is the game is free to play at the moment and all you have to do is buy the game and it's dirt cheap now too
Reibooi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
All those who think there is no way for FFXIV to recover after it's terrible launch are quite frankly wrong. Final Fantasy XI went on to become a very large MMO and still to this day is a very large money maker for Square-enix. What most people don't know is that Final Fantasy XI as well had a horrible launch. One that could be argued was far worse then XIV as even basic things like monster placement prevented players from leveling beyond a certain point,

The reason most folks don't know this is because Final Fantasy XI was exclusive to Japan for it's first year and had a massive amount of patching and a full expansion pack released before it was ever brought to the US and in that time the game was turned around so much it was easily able to recover and have a solid player base.

Being a 8 year player of FFXI and a current player of XIV since launch I can tell you that the launch of the game was rather large(Square had to in fact make new servers to be able to accommodate the game so it was clearly bigger then they thought it would be the issues was the game still wasn't ready) and while it's true many players left the game due to it's state of being at the time it's also clear that with each patch the game receives there are a large number of players returning. The game has been improved 10 fold since launch and is infinitely more enjoyable. It's still not a perfect game and even when it gets to a state people would think of it as good it's still not a game for everyone as it's very hardcore similar to FFXI.

But again the point of my explaining all this is that XIV is not a lost cause. The continuing rise is population with each patch proves as much and quite frankly SE would more than likely switch the game over into a full free to play model(as in one supported by micro transactions and not just free like it is right now) before they let it die they have far to much invested in it and the fact that they have not just killed it shows they believe it has potential(which it does in spades).

The current thinking is that XIV will get it's big push once SE decides to release the PS3 version(which won't be until Yoshi-P deems the game to be in a state that is satisfactory) which will most likley include it's first expansion pack which will help to bring back PC folks while PS3 users will be curious to see what the game is all about. This hasn't been confirmed or anything but the dev team has hinted at such and it's basically what happened with Final Fantasy XI except replace PS3 release with NA release(as Rise of the Zilart was included out of the box for the game when it was released in the US)
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I've been here for years and this is hardly the most out of place article I've seen so far. Remember, Final Fantasy has had two-three anime adaptions, some manga adaptations, so it's not that out of place.

I've been playing Final Fantasy games (starting with Final Fantasy I for the NES a very long time ago) and even after a decade plus, the Chocobo is still my one of my favorite characters of the series.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to ride my Gold Chocobo for free in FFIX.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1