• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Weekly Bunshun Mag: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Has Live-Action, Anime Films

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
There already is a live-action Jojo movie. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by GATSU on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, because the first people to be in a JoJo movie I think of are J-pop idols. Rolling Eyes
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
This series needs to be made as anime only, not live action... I can just imagine how the stand special effects are going to look like Shocked

Last edited by vapwaazu on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Wait so this live-action adaptation won't have any buff characters? That is just not right!!! Mad
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Yeah, because the first people to be in a JoJo movie I think of are J-pop idols. Rolling Eyes

Please, not one of those SMAP guys. They're in everything.

I'm guessing this would be Jotaro? The first two JoJos were white dudes.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Primus wrote:

Please, not one of those SMAP guys. They're in everything.

I'm guessing this would be Jotaro? The first two JoJos were white dudes.

Yeah, white and buff.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
Wait... what?

I quite literally did a doubletake when I read this headline. I thought oh, I've been reading too much about JoJo's and I'm starting to see it where it isn't, just my mind playing tricks on me. But no, my reading comprehension has not failed me this time.

Well... I just don't know what to think. Anime adaptions* I understand but live action would be... quite the feat, to say the least. While I'm not ready to start crapping all over it before I know a darn thing about it, I'm really curious to know how they think they'll capture the essence of JoJo's in live action. If it comes to fruition, the attempt will at least be interesting if nothing else.

As an aside though I have to say-- having a idol for a star isn't too far-fetched. He wouldn't have to be super-beefcake, depending on which part they adapt. Parts 5, 6, and 7 feature some pretty svelte characters. Who knows, maybe it'll be a Steel Ball Run movie (the SBR manga having recently finished its run in Ultra Jump). Kimura-kun apparently has horse-racing experience that could come in pretty handy, you know. Laughing

*(Though supposedly Araki was so displeased with the Phantom Blood (JoJo's Part 1) animated film that he didn't allow it to be distributed on DVD, not even in Japan. I wonder what's being done differently this time...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Wait... what?

I quite literally did a doubletake when I read this headline. I thought oh, I've been reading too much about JoJo's and I'm starting to see it where it isn't, just my mind playing tricks on me. But no, my reading comprehension has not failed me this time.

Well... I just don't know what to think. Anime adaptions* I understand but live action would be... quite the feat, to say the least. While I'm not ready to start crapping all over it before I know a darn thing about it, I'm really curious to know how they think they'll capture the essence of JoJo's in live action. If it comes to fruition, the attempt will at least be interesting if nothing else.

As an aside though I have to say-- having a idol for a star isn't too far-fetched. He wouldn't have to be super-beefcake, depending on which part they adapt. Parts 5, 6, and 7 feature some pretty svelte characters. Who knows, maybe it'll be a Steel Ball Run movie (the SBR manga having recently finished its run in Ultra Jump). Kimura-kun apparently has horse-racing experience that could come in pretty handy, you know. Laughing

*(Though supposedly Araki was so displeased with the Phantom Blood (JoJo's Part 1) animated film that he didn't allow it to be distributed on DVD, not even in Japan. I wonder what's being done differently this time...)

It would be cool if they do a Steel Ball Run film, with American actors since it takes place in the U.S.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:
It would be cool if they do a Steel Ball Run film, with American actors since it takes place in the U.S.
American actors? What's that? Laughing

Nah, personally I'd rather see a J-idol take this on as promised. I mean, with that logic you may as well ask that Gyro be Italian too, right?
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:
American actors? What's that? Laughing

Nah, personally I'd rather see a J-idol take this on as promised. I mean, with that logic you may as well ask that Gyro be Italian too, right?

Well, sure why not, have an Italian play as Gyro! Though I know it won't be possible, because I am asking for too much, but it would be great.

Anyway I am curious to see who is this J-idol they speak of.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
Well I just hope whatever anime gets produced here is one the rest of the world gets to see rather than being locked away in a vault forever after one theater run like Phantom Blood. :|
sepherest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:15 am Reply with quote
I don't really care as much for who the actors as much as just thinking about how awkward the Stands might look in live-action. Of course the main characters designs are probably going to be altered a bit, not even cosplayers have been able to get a few of the characters down properly yet.

It's kind of nice that there will be a new anime film, though I hope Araki has a bit more involvement in these compared to Phantom Blood and the OVA series. Hopefully they'll announce what parts these are actually going to be based off of.

Also wasn't there just an article about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure being voted one of the top series people didn't want to see in live-action about a month or so ago?
Tuskus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:24 am Reply with quote
I don't think this is good news for us. The last Jojo movie hasn't even been fansubbed after 4 years.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote
Tuskus wrote:
I don't think this is good news for us. The last Jojo movie hasn't even been fansubbed after 4 years.

And that's solely because the movie has never been given a DVD release in Japan. Apparently Araki hated the Phantom Blood movie so much that he banned the production company from ever releasing it on home video.

Trust me, if there was a DVD out the movie would have been fansubbed years ago.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:08 am Reply with quote
I know that's the popular explanation, but where does that actually come from? Was it documented/sourced somewhere or is it just conjecture?

Either way, I do remember hearing Japanese fans weren't crazy about it when it came out, as it apparently not only makes some questionable changes, but isn't too strong from a general storytelling perspective. Second to third hand information on my part here, of course.

But uhhh, among those changes, I had heard that the movie spoiler[excised Speedwagon entirely. What the hell...?]

...I'd still like to see it and make up my own mind about it, of course. :s
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2