• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Barnes & Noble Wins Assets in Borders IP Auction

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
"B&N’s victory assures the retailer that no competitor will emerge in the bookselling space using any of the Borders brand."

Heh.

Lotta shops going out-of-business.......
keikun16

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:35 am Reply with quote
So B&N is both literally and metaphorically buying a domain name just so no one else can use it....Ok, whatever. Oh, and the Borders in my town officially closed about a week before this post.
andy0002

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
thats what happens when a store discounts everything beyond reason. They go out of business, and then the smart people (B&N) get to laugh at them... and probably await their turn on death row.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
So wait, I don't get it. If B&N bought Borders, Walden, etc. names does that mean that they can go by all those names, but they're still the same company? Why would they do that? Why not just stay B&N?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
So wait, I don't get it. If B&N bought Borders, Walden, etc. names does that mean that they can go by all those names, but they're still the same company? Why would they do that? Why not just stay B&N?

The borders rewards membership list.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:

They didn't buy the names to use them, they bought them so no one else can use them. This prevents an unknown company from buying one of the better known brand names in book sales and getting a big jump start.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:36 am Reply with quote
Borders' IP sale to Barnes & Noble on hold

Quote:
Bankruptcy Judge Martin Glenn said at a hearing he needed more time to decide whether the policy covers longer-standing customers and whether certain customers must give their consent before the sale can close.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote
Got an email from B&N today saying upfront, We bought Border's customers list, we will now use them to advertise to you. and they offer an opt-out option. So they are using their bought assets for practical means.

And have you tried going to the Borders website? kinda Interesting.
http://www.borders.com
Shop the site under the Borders domain name, it get's fulfilled by B&N.

It's an interesting thing. And it does keep another competitor from buying the name and site and using the name recognition to try and get business.... like http://www.circuitcity.com/ which is pretty much just another outlet of TigerDirect and CompUSA, and completely online.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote
Gotta love that monopoly.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
It's an interesting thing. And it does keep another competitor from buying the name and site and using the name recognition to try and get business.... like http://www.circuitcity.com/ which is pretty much just another outlet of TigerDirect and CompUSA, and completely online.

Reminds me of Monkey Ward and Service Merchandise that way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1